Comment: "Destination Unknown" Day 10 - On the trail of Ernest Giles - Western M

G'day Mick

Thanks for the very interesting read, like you, I am also a great admirer of the explorer traveller Ernest Giles. There are times when I feel quite privileged to walk the very same terrain he actually walked through on his exploits back in the late 1800's and to see what he and his men may well have seen way back then.

He actually named many of inland Australias prominent land features and watercourses, here in the Pilbara not only is the naming of the Ophthalmia Range due to his suffering from his Ophthalmic complaint ~ sandy blight ~ a constant reminder for me, of the man himself, but also the spectacular craggy peak of his very own mountain ~ Mount Giles.

Mount Giles is a very recognisable land formation and it can be seen from most of the higher vantage point along the Ophthalmia Range.
He is reputed to have traversed over 5000 miles in his explorer exploits, the fact that he survived his years of exploring and also that he was humble office clerk in Coolgardie Western Australia when he died, he has largely gone un noticed.

Mick its nice to know that you also have a common thread as it were to the great man that he was.

Hopefully we can catch up with one another next time you explore the tracks of Ernest Giles ~ in the Pilbara at least.

Safe travells : PICTOURS
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Mick O - Wednesday, Mar 04, 2015 at 01:07

Wednesday, Mar 04, 2015 at 01:07
Hey Joe,

trust all is well over your way. First year in 6 that I haven't had a Pilbara and Western Deserts fix. I'm suffering withdrawals. 2012 maybe. There is also a Mt Giles in the Heavitree Range in the Western MacDonnells. It forms part of the Larapinta Trail.

There seem to be a few of us that find an affinity with the last of our explorers, Giles, Carnegie, Hahn etc. Certainly Ernest’s trails have given me some great experiences in the Gibson and Sandy Deserts. There are quite a few of us about and it's what led us to forming GDEC back in 2010.

How about Rudall in June next year? I'd like to get over for a few weeks.

Thanks for the kind comments.

Safe travels. Mick
''We knew from the experience of well-known travelers that the
trip would doubtless be attended with much hardship.''
Richard Maurice - 1903

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 548053

Sponsored Links