Comment: Using the <span class="highlight">4psi</span> Tyre Inflation Rule

Rob D,
A excellent write up! Perhaps you should issue an ammended 4psi rule including the proviso that the ambient temperatures when measuring cold and again when hot should be the same or at least within certain limits.

However, I'm sceptical about the 4psi rule anyway. I can't find any reference to it on any formal tyre company site or research document. Until I do, I can't be sure that this isn't just self perpetuating folk lore regardless of it's seeming practicality. Any comments?
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Rob D (NSW) - Wednesday, Mar 04, 2015 at 01:11

Wednesday, Mar 04, 2015 at 01:11
Hi Bob,

Thank you for the feedback. At the top of my blog I stated "I am not advocating the use of the 4psi rule", but I know many people are using it and using it incorrectly. I have found it on numerous websites.

As far as I can gather from my internet research, the 4psi rule was stated by a Pirelli tyre engineer on some race track in the US. Given that some of our outback trips have very large temperature changes from morning to midday I really meant for readers to have a better understanding the effect that temperature has on tyre pressures.

See my Blog "Are You Operating Your Tyres Beyond Their Design Limits" BlogID: 2723 for information from Tyre Manufacturers and the US Tire and Rim Associaton.

http://www.exploroz.com/Members/216531.875/2/2011/Are_You_Operating_Your_Tyres_Beyond_Their_Design_Limits_.aspx
If you relax at a faster pace you can get more relaxation in for a given time.
Regards Rob

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 548353

Sponsored Links