Comment: Burton's Perth to Cape York Brisbane to Caloundra Day 31-33 30 April t

Given we rely on batteries to stay working, or at least die slowly, your experience is a bit of a concern really. You're pretty lucky it didn't fail when a helpful mechanic was far far away!!! Just musing about what kind of warning device there could be to warn of impending failures like yours..... Or was it a case of corrugations kills more than your sanity and a structural break inside the battery that nothing could have predicted?
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Mike & Amanda - Wednesday, Mar 04, 2015 at 01:13

Wednesday, Mar 04, 2015 at 01:13
Hi Tim,
It would seem that the normal service life for lead acid battery under the bonnet is around 2-3 years. This battery was over 3 years. It may have been just about dead and this would also explain why my Rotronics isolator was always showing it under charge instead of switching off. The Toyota load test probably tipped it over the edge. The new on e is performing well and the Rotronics switches off after about 10 minutes highway driving. Next battery place I see I'm going to get the auxiliary Orbital yellow top checked as it is also over 3 years and I'll probably replace it, as I need a reliable aux for the next couple of months...another option is for me to hook up the Ctek and recondition it....a few nerve wracking days, starting up the Cruiser and wondering...will it start?
AnswerID: 548465

Sponsored Links