<span class="highlight">Tarcoola</span> Nt

Submitted: Sunday, Apr 10, 2016 at 07:53
ThreadID: 132080 Views:2365 Replies:5 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
Can anybody tell me weather you can follow the central railway line nt from Tarcoola SA
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: RobAck - Sunday, Apr 10, 2016 at 16:19

Sunday, Apr 10, 2016 at 16:19
You will find that ARTC frown on this as using the "right of way" is actually illegal despite lots of posts by folk who have done it

Rob
AnswerID: 598448

Follow Up By: Member - Boobook - Monday, Apr 11, 2016 at 10:07

Monday, Apr 11, 2016 at 10:07
Rob

This thread is about the Northbound line which as nothing to do with ARTC.

FollowupID: 867667

Reply By: Member - Boobook - Monday, Apr 11, 2016 at 07:56

Monday, Apr 11, 2016 at 07:56
Probably
The Tarcoola - Darwin line is owned by the Genesee & Wyoming railroad company, not ARTC.

While it is fine to go west from Tarcoola on the road that follows the railway ( and has nothing to do with ARTC), the road north following the Darwin line is slightly different.

I haven't travelled on that section but I believe that you can travel from Tarcoola to Manguri, however the track does pass through private property and is reputedly not well maintained in parts, Other parts are used by trucks are ok. Unlike the track west, this IS a service track for the railway and given the access through private property it could be a problem.

If you don't get feedback from people on this site that have travelled on it, and you want an semi official position, a good place to start would be to call Ozminerals and ask to speak to the security guys at the Prominent Hill mine. This is near Wiridda and a major operations site for G&W, they will be able to give you a better idea than anyone. You might be surprised at their answer. I did this for a similar situation and the head of security said bloody go for it mate, just stay clear of the trains, trucks and machinery, and don't go near the works or touch anything.

Also be aware that this track passes part of the Woomera prohibited area. You would also need to check date and get a permit from them.Woomera Prohibited area

Not a definitive answer I know, but hopefully it give you some more information.
AnswerID: 598474

Reply By: Member - awest1 - Monday, Apr 11, 2016 at 14:17

Monday, Apr 11, 2016 at 14:17
Thanks for the replys. I was trying to find a track south from Coober Pedy to Tarcoola or Malbooma without going on the black stuff.
Cheers.
AnswerID: 598493

Reply By: Member - Rod N (QLD) - Monday, Apr 11, 2016 at 14:39

Monday, Apr 11, 2016 at 14:39
A search on Tarcoola gave the following previous threads on your subject track.
Mabel Creek to Tarcoola
tarcoola to coober pedy
Ghan service road....Tarcoola to Coober Pedy
Road north from Tarcoola
You will need to sift out non relevant parts.
AnswerID: 598495

Reply By: Dion - Tuesday, Apr 12, 2016 at 00:51

Tuesday, Apr 12, 2016 at 00:51
I'm an employee of GWA, I am quite familiar with the service roads adjacent the CAR. No permission is given for the public to be on the Freightlink/GWA service roads.
AnswerID: 598523

Sponsored Links