Jayco Flamingo camper - Be warned!!!!!

Submitted: Wednesday, Jan 30, 2019 at 11:35
ThreadID: 137734 Views:17303 Replies:10 FollowUps:6
This Thread has been Archived
Hi, my name is Andrew.
I have read a blog by Zigdog about the woeful quality of Jayco Campers. Too true!
My wife and I purchased ours brand new in late 2016. We did so on the strength that my sister and her husband have owned 2 x Jayco Swans over the past 30 years and raved about their quality and design.
Well 2.5 years on and I have made several repairs ( it's a good thing I am carpenter/ builder who can carry out such repairs) to items that simply broke by themselves, this started soon after the 12 month warranty had expired!
I approached Jayco about0 who said they cannot accept responsibity for repairs after the warranty has expired. (Should have smelled a rat when only ONE year of warranty is offered)
I have also had to make modifications to the seating, beds and the door due to poor workanship and/or poor design. It is important to say here that our Flamingo is NOT an Outback model and we have NEVER ventured Off Road with it. It is falling apart just from regular casual use! On our most recent trip I noticed the door (again) and the bed (again) are broken...... again, more for repairs........again.
So, if anyone reading this is considering a Jayco, for God's sake buy something other than Jayco, or at least do some serious research before you buy!
Back Expand Un-Read 1 Moderator

Reply By: Frank P (NSW) - Wednesday, Jan 30, 2019 at 12:10

Wednesday, Jan 30, 2019 at 12:10
There are recent changes to statutory warranty laws, where a product has to be durable for the use it is sold for. It is a warranty applied by law and is in addition to manufacturer's warranty. It does not necessarily have a time limit, but 3 years may be pushing it.

It may be worthwhile making enquiries along those line with your state's consumer body.
FrankP

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 623521

Follow Up By: Allan B (Sunshine Coast) - Wednesday, Jan 30, 2019 at 12:29

Wednesday, Jan 30, 2019 at 12:29
The laws are not "recent". They date back to 2012.
We are afforded considerable protection despite what retailers may specify.
See here for ACCC information.
Cheers
Allan

My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 896739

Follow Up By: Shaker - Wednesday, Jan 30, 2019 at 17:09

Wednesday, Jan 30, 2019 at 17:09
This is a case study example from Consumer Affairs Vic.

“Danny buys a TV for $6,000. It stops working after two years.

The store says they will not provide a repair or replacement as the TV only had a 12-month manufacturer’s warranty. They tell Danny he should have bought an extended warranty, which would have given five years’ cover.

However, it is reasonable for Danny to expect more than two years’ use from a $6,000 TV. He may be entitled to a repair, replacement or refund from the store.”

FollowupID: 896749

Reply By: Member - Bigfish - Wednesday, Jan 30, 2019 at 12:22

Wednesday, Jan 30, 2019 at 12:22
They haven't earnt the name Junko for no reason....
AnswerID: 623522

Reply By: Ron N - Wednesday, Jan 30, 2019 at 12:41

Wednesday, Jan 30, 2019 at 12:41
Andrew, you would be well-advised to make a formal complaint to your State Consumer Law or Consumer Affairs Dept - who are there to investigate when manufacturers are shirking their responsibilities, when it comes to providing a satisfactory product that meets the consumers expectations.

The Australian Consumer Law has teeth and your local Consumer Law agency is there to assist in enforcing the ACL.

The warranty for a product does not cease right on the last day of the manufacturers warranty.

If the product you purchased is unsatisfactory, is not "fit for purpose", or does not provide a reasonable lifespan expectation, then you have very good grounds for compensation.

The important part is to keep lots of documentation, and good clear photos, of any faults, which all help in bolstering your case against poorly manufactured products.

Cheers, Ron.
AnswerID: 623523

Reply By: cruiser 3 - Wednesday, Jan 30, 2019 at 17:28

Wednesday, Jan 30, 2019 at 17:28
I can not speak highly enough about my Jayco’s. I owned quite a number of vans before buying Jayco in 1999, since then I only buy Jayco and have had 4 different models and all have been excellent.
I believe you have had problems but it doesn’t mean all Jayco’s are bad.
AnswerID: 623531

Follow Up By: 873 - Wednesday, Jan 30, 2019 at 19:33

Wednesday, Jan 30, 2019 at 19:33
I've owned 4 Jaycos over 35 years from 16 to 23 foot. As long as you carry a tube of silicon and no more nails alls good. ?? I'd buy another one 2morro .
FollowupID: 896752

Reply By: OBJ - Wednesday, Jan 30, 2019 at 19:58

Wednesday, Jan 30, 2019 at 19:58
Jayco were found out by the ACCC and fined for shoddy workmanship and breaches of warranty in 2018. You may like to chase it up and see what the full story was. They did cop a decent fine.

A friend of mine bought one and ended up totally rewiring the whole van after he found the work they had done was very shoddy.

There are a lot on the road and given that number there must be a few happy customers. But you don't have to dig far to find those that are hot happy.

Good luck. If you yell loud enough someone has to take notice.

OBJ
AnswerID: 623535

Reply By: Ron N - Wednesday, Jan 30, 2019 at 21:08

Wednesday, Jan 30, 2019 at 21:08
Quite a revealing expose in the link below, of Jayco's unconscionable warranty tactics, denying Jayco owners rightful compensation for four defective Jayco caravans.

ACCC takes action against Jayco

I wonder how many more Jayco owners decided to not pursue remedies available to them through the ACCC, for other defective Jayco products?

Usually ACCC action is just exposing the tip of an iceberg of very poor corporate behaviour.

I have personally encountered substantial amounts of unconscionable corporate behaviour over the last 50 yrs - and the standard technique starts off with denying anything is wrong with the product - and then progressing to minimising the problem - followed by blaming the owner for bad operation or rough treatment, for the cause of the problem.

Cheers, Ron.
AnswerID: 623539

Reply By: gelatr - Wednesday, Jan 30, 2019 at 21:17

Wednesday, Jan 30, 2019 at 21:17
I actually think Jaycos are pretty good value for money. Given you would be lucky to buy a Patriot Camper Trailer for what I paid for my 19 ft Jayco Outback van this speaks for itself. I have checked my near new van over thoroughly and I think the chassis and structure are good. I expect that’ll need to do the odd repair while on the road. Should I do so I wont be bitching to all and sundry because I believe in the old adage that you get what you pay for. If I wanted a bullet proof van I would have shelled out the bucks for a Bushtracker or Kedron. Instead with eyes wide open I bought a Jayco like a large percentage of others.

It is my understanding that as far as the warranty is concerned, if the item has defects that wouldn’t be expected in an item of its age then you have case against the manufacturer regardless of whether it is in warranty or not.

Good luck with your repairs.
AnswerID: 623540

Follow Up By: Member - peter g28 - Monday, Feb 11, 2019 at 18:12

Monday, Feb 11, 2019 at 18:12
The standard warranty that Jayco put out with their products is not worth the paper it was written on...checkout Lemon Caravan and RV FB page and type in Jayco in their search bar and see the myraid of horror stories from Jayco owners who have been fighting Jayco for years to get proper warranty claims finialised and fixed.
There are many reputable caravan manufacturers out there...but Jayco is definitely not one of them at present..
FollowupID: 897031

Reply By: AlanTH - Thursday, Jan 31, 2019 at 10:08

Thursday, Jan 31, 2019 at 10:08
Try this site for the real story behind those who are paid good money supposedly to protect and assist the public.
Many are out to lunch with the very people they're apparently there to police.

Australian Lemon caravans and RVs.

Many many disgruntled owners of virtually all makes of van, on road or off, cheap or expensive. Check it out.
AlanTH.
AnswerID: 623548

Reply By: 2517. - Thursday, Jan 31, 2019 at 12:28

Thursday, Jan 31, 2019 at 12:28
I was in Derby about 8years ago at a repairs shop having 2 new shocks replaced after returning from The Canning and a caravan came in on a flat top truck the owner look up and said another independent suspension ,then he told me the story about people who buy these vans and think they are bullet proof.often some thing is bent and they need to be returned to the factory, the other problem is spares parts when you are at the top of Australia his view was you cannot beat springs easy to fix and you can parts anywhere.Ask he's view on caravans ,I see them all here but did he said what great service Jayco have.
AnswerID: 623551

Follow Up By: Greg J1 - Thursday, Jan 31, 2019 at 12:52

Thursday, Jan 31, 2019 at 12:52
Yes 2517.

I have a mate who owns an engineering works at Quilpie. He has a kenworth 8 wheeler tilt tray. In the tourist season this truck is kept busy picking up broken “OFF ROAD “ vans from far and wide.

Always broken independent suspension swing arms. He has a pallet of broken ones sitting there.

I totally agree that leaf springs are the only way to go on an off road van, the thing is they don’t look as cool as brightly painted swing arms with 2 shockies and mud tyres that you see on a lot of vans.

There’s off road vans and then there a real off road vans !!!

Cheers Greg.

FollowupID: 896770

Follow Up By: 2517. - Friday, Feb 01, 2019 at 17:00

Friday, Feb 01, 2019 at 17:00
I agree Greg,a few years ago I was at the caravan show at Rosehill looking at a Aussieswag camper and the salesman said to me if you are looking to get one get it with springs, I was surprised when he said I own the company and see to many returning with broken and bent suspensions.I am not against independent suspensions,you don’t see Bushtracker caravan with problems but they cost a lot of money .
John.
FollowupID: 896796

Reply By: nickb - Thursday, Jan 31, 2019 at 18:15

Thursday, Jan 31, 2019 at 18:15
They are very cheap compared to a Goldstream, to do that cheaper methods/products are used.

I’m sure when you purchased it price was a factor, have you compared the equivalent Goldstream price???
AnswerID: 623563

Sponsored Links