Lake Eyre Access

Submitted: Saturday, May 11, 2019 at 15:12
ThreadID: 138313 Views:4193 Replies:5 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
G'day dear all,
could you kindly help me - it's very difficult to find according Information in the Internet: We are about to travel a couple of days to the Lake Eyre area to watch the lake filled with water and bursting of life.
But we do not have much time - just about four days. Do you know how we might get to Wilpena, William Creek, Cooper Pedy or Marree without our 4WD? Are there to one of these destinations other Access possibilities? Flights? Bus Connection to Cooper Pedy? (We then would book a flight from there to the lake).

Travel time mid July. therefore, second question: Might there be a chance to even then watch bird life? How long will for example pelicans rest in the area? Does somebody have experience?

Thanks so much - I'd appreciate your answers.

Regards, Kimberley
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Peter_n_Margaret - Saturday, May 11, 2019 at 16:30

Saturday, May 11, 2019 at 16:30
Do you mean you don't want to drive at all to get there? Where are you coming from?
You can get to Coober Pedy by bus, train or aircraft from Adelaide. Google is your friend.

The bird life tends to be concentrated on the islands and it is unlikely you will see much unless from the air.
Cheers,
Peter
OKA196 motorhome

AnswerID: 625497

Reply By: Allan B (Sunshine Coast) - Saturday, May 11, 2019 at 18:12

Saturday, May 11, 2019 at 18:12
You can get flights to Birdsville from Brisbane (see here)
And you can get Lake Eyre flights from Birdsville (see here)
Cheers
Allan

My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 625499

Reply By: DiggZ - Saturday, May 11, 2019 at 20:04

Saturday, May 11, 2019 at 20:04
There is scenic flights to Lake Eyre from Rawnsley Park Station, Flinders Ranges.
https://www.rawnsleypark.com.au/experiences/scenic-flights/
AnswerID: 625500

Reply By: Crackles - Wednesday, May 15, 2019 at 21:42

Wednesday, May 15, 2019 at 21:42
G'day Kimberly. The reality is when travelling to Lake Eyre it'self you will not see it bursting with life due to the salt & may not even see many birds. The area is difficult to access by vehicle & water inches deep at Halligan's Bay. The mass of birdlife you often see on the TV is further north & as such a plane flight from Birdsville following the Diamantina River over Goyder Lagoon then down the Warburton would be far more interesting than most who see the Lake from William Creek.
AnswerID: 625551

Follow Up By: Michael H9 - Wednesday, May 15, 2019 at 23:02

Wednesday, May 15, 2019 at 23:02
That's true. I've been to all the drive in points multiple times, the last time at Halligans Bay the water was lapping at the edge and I haven't seen any birds to speak of. I reckon if you are looking for the closest, 2wd access for a flight, it has to be Wilpena. Driving time and fuel costs are lower plus you get to fly over the Flinders on the way which is a treat in itself.
FollowupID: 899247

Reply By: RobMac (QLD_Member) - Monday, Jun 10, 2019 at 06:58

Monday, Jun 10, 2019 at 06:58
Guys....

Looking at the NASA site for the water flowing into Lake Eyre - It still looks a fair way from looking like being filled. Madigans Bay doesn't look to have much if any water in it. It seems from looking at the NASA page that the only place to see the water "from the ground" is to drive to Halligan Bay - Is this correct?

I/we can't afford a plane flight yet (have to wait until the kids are off our hands) so wanting to see it from the ground but to date, Halligan Bay seems the only spot...
Cheers..... RobM
Defender PUMA 110 "New School Tourer"
Defender 110 Tdi300 "Old School Tourer for Solo Trips"
DiscoTDi for Work/Play

My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 626107

Sponsored Links