Planning for a trip up the <span class="highlight">Canning</span> Stock Route (CSR) in 2021

I am planning my first trip up the Canning Stock Route for mid 2021 with about 5 vehicles (all very experienced drivers) coming from Queensland.

I am really keen to get a good trip preparation checklist (as well as useful information) so that I get all of my ducks in a row ready for the trip.

Does anyone know of any good resources to do that (trip preparation checklist).
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Frank P (NSW) - Sunday, Feb 23, 2020 at 14:03

Sunday, Feb 23, 2020 at 14:03
On this site ... Destinations/Treks and Canning Stock Route.
FrankP

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 630188

Follow Up By: Member - Jim S1 - Sunday, Feb 23, 2020 at 14:05

Sunday, Feb 23, 2020 at 14:05
Not working for me at the moment, Frank.

Cheers
Jim
"Sometimes I sits and thinks, and sometimes I just sits." A fisherman.

"No road is long with good company." Traditional

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 905454

Follow Up By: Frank P (NSW) - Sunday, Feb 23, 2020 at 14:07

Sunday, Feb 23, 2020 at 14:07
Hi Jim,

Yes, sorry about that. I checked it after I posted and it doesn't work for me either. Neither do any links to other treks work. I have reported the issue.

Cheers
FrankP

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 905455

Follow Up By: ExplorOz - David & Michelle - Sunday, Feb 23, 2020 at 19:46

Sunday, Feb 23, 2020 at 19:46
Treks are now fixed.

David
David (DM) & Michelle (MM)
---------------------------------
Always working not enough travelling!

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 905460

Follow Up By: Peter F42 - Monday, Feb 24, 2020 at 09:19

Monday, Feb 24, 2020 at 09:19
Thanks for that info Ill get into them.
FollowupID: 905468

Reply By: Idler Chris - Sunday, Feb 23, 2020 at 17:00

Sunday, Feb 23, 2020 at 17:00
If you drive up the CSR you are always driving into the sun. Much better going north to south. Chris
What other people think of me is none of my business.
Do unto others what you would have them do unto you.

Lifetime Member

AnswerID: 630191

Follow Up By: Member - Broodie H3 - Sunday, Feb 23, 2020 at 17:16

Sunday, Feb 23, 2020 at 17:16
I agree with Chris north to south is easier
Broodie H3
Have car will travel

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 905459

Follow Up By: Member - Jim and Trudy - Friday, Mar 20, 2020 at 17:49

Friday, Mar 20, 2020 at 17:49
Good point Chris, with the sun behind you the scenery will look better too :-)
FollowupID: 906075

Reply By: Member - Broodie H3 - Sunday, Feb 23, 2020 at 17:15

Sunday, Feb 23, 2020 at 17:15
Hi Peter,
my mate and I did a solo trip about march last year, both very experienced 4x4 drivers or so we thought . we did a four wheel drive course about four months out from our start date,but it still was not enough but it gave us an understanding of what could go wrong and how to get out of it with out having to get the shovel out. we never got the shovel out except for pit stops and buried it deep
we ran tyre pressures as the terrain dictated generally twenty on the front and 26 on the rears and pumped them up when we were going over rocky sections.
what to take with you, start with your tyres, and two spare wheels make sure your tyres are in good nick I ran bfg ko2 and they did the job two spare inner tubes,and about 40 tyre plugs. we were in my ford ranger, and as a four wheel drive i still cant stop singing its praises. we carried 210 litres of fuel and filled up at kunniwaritja. and 60 litres of water. there is water along the track that is useable, some you can even drink.
the main requirements that we found was a good sat phone and an epirb. we also took two car fridges, mine was to old for that trip as the corrugations absolutely destroyed it. if you are taking anything in the back of your vehicle make sure there is no chance of movement in power leads and any containers that you have, that was how we lost the fridge, not being secure enough. keep your weight to a minimum.
the other thing we did to work out water and food consumption we did two shake down runs to see how much we would consume the first was for six days and the second for for days,you would be surprised how hungry you get out in the middle of nowhere. the shake down trips also gave us a good understanding of each others driving abilities, because everyone drives differently.
if you want to know more just ask as this is just a very broad outline of what we had on board. you'll love the canning as we did the only thing I have to warn you about is the flies, if you have been in bad fly country before you ain't seen nothing yet
Broodie H3
Have car will travel

Lifetime Member

AnswerID: 630192

Follow Up By: Peter F42 - Monday, Feb 24, 2020 at 09:20

Monday, Feb 24, 2020 at 09:20
Thanks for the info Broodie
FollowupID: 905469

Reply By: Gordon B5 - Sunday, Feb 23, 2020 at 21:50

Sunday, Feb 23, 2020 at 21:50
Peter I wouldn't be put off by the sun in your eyes. was told the same thing but still went south to north without any complaints in May '18. Try and share tools etc between vehicles instead of all carrying the same. Weight is your enemy on that trip but you still have to take a lot with you . We had an awning tent as my wife likes to be able to stand up when changing worked out pretty good we could put it up and down quite well after a couple of days. also found the flies were non existent but that was probably because the season was dry.Enjoy it really is a wonderful track
He who hesitates is lost

AnswerID: 630195

Follow Up By: Shaker - Sunday, Feb 23, 2020 at 23:21

Sunday, Feb 23, 2020 at 23:21
We also had no issues with the Sun heading North.
FollowupID: 905466

Reply By: Phil B (WA) - Monday, Feb 24, 2020 at 03:48

Monday, Feb 24, 2020 at 03:48
You could also try this group, they are very helpful.

CSR group

There is a lot of difference between
‘Human Being’ and ‘Being Human’.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 630199

Sponsored Links