<span class="highlight">BT50</span> Auto Transmission Cooling.

Submitted: Saturday, Feb 29, 2020 at 17:11
ThreadID: 139738 Views:16975 Replies:10 FollowUps:14
This Thread has been Archived
2019 BT50 6speed DPF
Anyone had issues with over heating in their Auto Transmission whilst towing a caravan.

Thinking of installing aftermarket Trans cooler.

Pros and Cons please, getting mixed messages in the market place.

Cheers
Brett
In Search of the Perfect Wave and not the one from the missus, ( see u later)..lol

My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: swampy - Saturday, Feb 29, 2020 at 17:47

Saturday, Feb 29, 2020 at 17:47
Hi
Use Wholesale auto`s twin cooler setup , there are cheaper single /smaller coolers which give poor results . This is a common topic .
Oil companies suggest to run oil over 100 deg as little as possible . The additives degrade .
If running off road or pulling a van for a lot of km`s its advisable . There are various ways of measuring via OBD port but better off just getting a cooler to start with .
AnswerID: 630268

Follow Up By: qldcamper - Saturday, Feb 29, 2020 at 20:34

Saturday, Feb 29, 2020 at 20:34
Also, dont tow in drive. Check your manual for correct gear.
FollowupID: 905582

Follow Up By: Gronk - Saturday, Feb 29, 2020 at 20:48

Saturday, Feb 29, 2020 at 20:48
My 200 series makes almost no difference between towing in drive and sports mode....it will very rarely shift into 6th, only downhill, so it will normally run in 5th (locked ) in drive or sports.

But different makes may do different, so as said , check the manual and find whats best for your 4wd, but don't take it as gospel !
FollowupID: 905584

Reply By: Ron N - Saturday, Feb 29, 2020 at 21:43

Saturday, Feb 29, 2020 at 21:43
Cougar - The auto tranny rebuilders (who see the damage in buggered trannies, and who have to repair them) say you should not run the ZF/Ford 6R80 transmission at temperatures over 93 deg C (200 deg F).

The reason being they have a number of electronic solenoids in them, that are made from thermoplastics, and these thermoplastics start to distort, then melt, at temperatures over 100 deg C.

If you're doing long distance towing, or towing in hilly country, you really need to fit a tranny oil cooler.

Cheers, Ron.
AnswerID: 630274

Follow Up By: RMD - Saturday, Feb 29, 2020 at 22:33

Saturday, Feb 29, 2020 at 22:33
Ron
I suppose you could call that distortion of solenoid bodies a "melt down". Defies logic why materials which soften to cause trouble are used in a Ford transmission. Is it to save a $, Hardly suitable for hot use. Is it not good if the auto selects two gear ratios at the one time?
FollowupID: 905586

Follow Up By: Ron N - Sunday, Mar 01, 2020 at 00:08

Sunday, Mar 01, 2020 at 00:08
RMD - We're talking Ford here - the masters of cost-cutting. They have bean-counters shaving 5c in build cost off every single part, that they can find, every day of the week.

They acquired the ZF transmission, and arranged to build it under licence.
But Ford never build anything the same as the original product, they have to cheapen everything in the construction. They've been that way for decades.

Cheers, Ron.

FollowupID: 905588

Follow Up By: 9900Eagle - Sunday, Mar 01, 2020 at 06:57

Sunday, Mar 01, 2020 at 06:57
Ron, that problem has been fixed for a few years now, it only happened on some of the earlier ones.

I don't know where the 93 degrees came from as that is a pretty standard temp for the box.

The amount of workmine has done towing over the last 7 years, at temps well over 93 , it should be broken but to the contrary it is showing no problems at all. No burnt atf and no metal in the pan.

FollowupID: 905589

Follow Up By: Ron N - Sunday, Mar 01, 2020 at 10:23

Sunday, Mar 01, 2020 at 10:23
9900 Eagle - The link below provides some of the best auto tranny temperature advice I have seen.
You just need to do some F to C conversions and miles to kms conversions.

Tranny oil temperature advice

Temperature conversion

One has to keep in mind, that there are several different positions to measure tranny oil temperature, but the important place to measure, is the point where the oil is leaving the tranny.

And if the oil leaving the tranny is at 100 deg C, then internal components will be a lot hotter.

More good auto tranny and oil advice below, from the local experts.

The Transmission Centre - General tranny and oil info

Cheers, Ron.
FollowupID: 905597

Follow Up By: 9900Eagle - Sunday, Mar 01, 2020 at 11:26

Sunday, Mar 01, 2020 at 11:26
Ron, I have seen all those before, in real life my fluid comes out as clean as with no sign of burning or deterioration at all, this is why I recommenced 60000k change when towing in my post. That has come from experience with this particular box.

That tranny oil temp advise is very old, and I would think it would even predate fully synthetic ATF.

FollowupID: 905599

Reply By: Crusader - Saturday, Feb 29, 2020 at 22:09

Saturday, Feb 29, 2020 at 22:09
Good evening Brett,
I've recently been through this exercise and fitted a Wholesale Automatics twin coil cooler to my 2016 BT 50.
I also fitted an ultragauge OBD2 reader to read transmission temps. It currently reaches 88° max around town in traffic in ambient temps in the mid thirties with high humidity. I've yet to see how high it gets when towing but all the advice I received was to do it.
Id suggest giving Wholesale Automatics a call.
Cheers Crusader

AnswerID: 630275

Reply By: swampy - Sunday, Mar 01, 2020 at 01:08

Sunday, Mar 01, 2020 at 01:08
hi
Many say with no experience....
Yup or you can go with all the dumb ass types that say the warning light comes on at 130= so its safe to operate up to 120deg LOL
The above opinion is common on some forums .
Between the oil companies saying no to above 100deg and the plastics internally degrading at anything close to 100deg . Its amazing how some people that can still oppose this . Clearly they have never had to repair a badly damaged transmission with all the crispy plastics etc .
Ford like many car makers do little as possible for cooling =save 5cents per car
AnswerID: 630277

Reply By: 9900Eagle - Sunday, Mar 01, 2020 at 07:35

Sunday, Mar 01, 2020 at 07:35
Brett,
first thing is, what does the van weigh. if it is is over 2200kg I would personally fit a cooler, tow in sport mode which normally drops it back to 5th gear, this drops the temp of the fluid as the converter is not slipping, also be kind to it by not just putting the foot flat to the floor.

I fitted a PWR cooler not long after I bought my Ranger in 2012 and it now has over 100,000K of towing 2.5t.

The higher the temp the fluid runs at the earlier you should change the fluid, I changed mine originally at 50,000k but now at 60000k intervals.
I would also recommend you install a scangauge, very easy to do so you can see all the engine, gearbox temps and information.

Scangauge Link

Scangauge info

AnswerID: 630280

Reply By: tonysmc - Sunday, Mar 01, 2020 at 11:32

Sunday, Mar 01, 2020 at 11:32
Hello Cougar,

I found my Hilux transmission was getting hot when towing my van and started having difficulty changing gears or started hunting for gears. I fitted a tranny cooler and it was like a different car to drive. I wouldn't have an auto now without fitting an aftermarket cooler. I have a new car now and I have just ordered one for it. As I have a scangauge and can see the transmission temp, I will also fit a thermo fan that I can switch on from inside the cab if the temp climbs if slow sand driving. I cannot see any cons for fitting one. Maybe check with manufacturer if it affects warranty if your car still has it.
AnswerID: 630284

Reply By: Cougar 55 - Sunday, Mar 01, 2020 at 12:14

Sunday, Mar 01, 2020 at 12:14
Thanks everyone, consensus seems to be “fit a cooler” .
Have checked out Wholesale Auto Warehouse and wouldn’t you know OUT OF STOCK ??
I spoke with a mob in SA and they are suggesting that same cooler, but also changing a flow valve in the Auto as well.
In Search of the Perfect Wave and not the one from the missus, ( see u later)..lol

AnswerID: 630285

Follow Up By: Ron N - Sunday, Mar 01, 2020 at 13:59

Sunday, Mar 01, 2020 at 13:59
Cougar - The modified tranny oil flow valve is offered and described in the link below.

Essentially, the factory flow valve restricts oil flow until the transmission is at operating temperature.

This is a design that caters for severe Nth American Winter conditions, where their low temperatures far exceed anything we get in Australia.

The factory flow restriction valve has a tendency to cause more problems than it cures, in our moderate climate.

Debris from bushings inside the transmission, plus small metal particles from general transmission wear, can stick in the factory flow restriction valve, and stop any oil from reaching the factory oil cooler.

The replacement valve is a full flow unit, which has no restriction at all. This also makes it easier to fill the transmission with oil and reach the correct oil level more quickly.

Fitting the full flow valve does mean the transmission takes a little longer to warm up - but in our climate, that should be of no concern - unless you live and work in high Australian Alpine regions on a constant basis.

Extremely cold oil makes for harsh shift changes in this transmission, thus the reason for Fords installation of the flow restriction valve, to ensure the tranny oil warmed rapidly in the depths of Nth American Winters.

Thermostatic bypass valve - Ford Ranger/Mazda BT-50 auto transmission

Cheers, Ron.
FollowupID: 905602

Reply By: Frank P (NSW) - Sunday, Mar 01, 2020 at 12:43

Sunday, Mar 01, 2020 at 12:43
I've installed a cooler. I wrote it up here.. Follow the other links as well, they link to info that may be useful.
FrankP

Lifetime Member

AnswerID: 630286

Follow Up By: Gbc.. - Tuesday, Mar 03, 2020 at 11:21

Tuesday, Mar 03, 2020 at 11:21
This link shows what should be going on with the box. It appears only 1st gear doesn't have TC lockup.
The link is more about the solenoid diagrams than the content. I hope you can get it sorted. TC's are all about pressure - maybe the extended system has upset it? I don't know. You can only be generating that much heat with an unlocked TC I'd guess?

https://gearsmagazine.com/magazine/updates-to-the-ford-6r80/
FollowupID: 905637

Follow Up By: RMD - Thursday, Mar 05, 2020 at 09:42

Thursday, Mar 05, 2020 at 09:42
Maybe it is the Lock Up Clutch which is all about pressure, whereas the TC only works on being full of fluid. Applying pressure inside a TC only stresses the input seal. There is two entirely different systems inside the TC body/case.
FollowupID: 905661

Follow Up By: OzzieCruiser - Thursday, Mar 05, 2020 at 12:30

Thursday, Mar 05, 2020 at 12:30
Certainly the ZF equivalent in Landrovers lock the TC in first gear - but only when in low range so I guess it is a gearbox ECU thing rather than a gearbox issue but does highlight the TC can lock in first gear if it is programmed to do so.
FollowupID: 905664

Reply By: Member - Supersi - Sunday, Mar 01, 2020 at 20:10

Sunday, Mar 01, 2020 at 20:10
2015 BT50 MY 16

I installed an aftermarket transmission cooler and it made about a 10 to 15 degree difference.

Recently installed a flow control bypass valve, a further 20 degree difference.

Now average temp is 70 degree, in very hilly country towing it doesn’t go over 80 degrees.

I also change transmission oil every 40,000km

Note that with a standard transmission setup (no flow control bypass) unless trans oil temp is over 75 degrees you can’t accurately check oil level and risk over filling. Overfilling causes trans oil to foam and overheat.

AnswerID: 630290

Follow Up By: Member - Supersi - Monday, Mar 02, 2020 at 10:05

Monday, Mar 02, 2020 at 10:05
The cost for the flow control bypass valve was $550.00 fitted, which also include new oil, filter and seal.

I had mine fitted by http://lenvossautomatics.com.au/

More info on the benefits of fitting the bypass valve here https://ronhillautomatics.com.au/bt50-and-ford-ranger-transmissions-need-extra-cooling/

Even if you didn’t have a Scangauge to monitor the temps I would recommend fitting the bypass valve, probably even before an after market cooler, although ideal to have an aftermarket transmission cooler.

FollowupID: 905609

Follow Up By: 9900Eagle - Monday, Mar 02, 2020 at 14:49

Monday, Mar 02, 2020 at 14:49
Had a Superior transmissions Thermal Control Bypass valve fitted in January last year by Kennedy Automatics when a flush and filter change was being done to the auto. Cost of the part was $72.13.

It works well and there seems to be no effect on the gear shifting even with the lower temps.

One added bonus is if the original thermal valve fails like an engine thermostat can, it can't fail shut.

FollowupID: 905614

Reply By: Bobjl - Friday, Mar 06, 2020 at 19:54

Friday, Mar 06, 2020 at 19:54
Of some relevance is the instruction/advice contained in the BT 50 Owners manual about towing speeds if and when weights involved are greater than 3000kg.
It stipulates that if towing such weight then speed must not exceed 80kph. Refer page 153. Whilst a bit off topic it may interest some readers that I represented an older mate at VCAT in late 2018 seeking signifcant financial compensation from a Melb Ford dealer who sold my mate a Territory Diesel AWD and failed to advise that the top towing speed was 80kph. My mate had specifically enquired as to the suitability of the Territory to tow his Coromal Van. He explained to Sales that he towed 2850 kg and tow ball weight was 2400kg. The Dealer played hard ball for 2 VCAT meetings so as we were soon to go to final determination hearing, the Dealer contacted us and we negotiated a settlement of five figures. The potential loss to the dealer was $30k. The Territory had one transmission overheat situation up the steep climb from Adelaide towards Hahndorf. But no damage occurred. My mate met many Territotry owners who were unaware of the limitations to speed when towing certain loads. The Territory limit to 80kph is when Towing greater than 2750.
AnswerID: 630362

Follow Up By: Frank P (NSW) - Monday, Mar 09, 2020 at 11:41

Monday, Mar 09, 2020 at 11:41
"Of some relevance is the instruction/advice contained in the BT 50 Owners manual about towing speeds if and when weights involved are greater than 3000kg.
It stipulates that if towing such weight then speed must not exceed 80kph. Refer page 153."

My 2014 BT50 handbook has the info on page 109 and the limit is 100kph if towing with a laden weight greater than 3000kg.

Interestingly, there are other restrictions that I bet most people have overlooked, such as decreased loads when towing at altitudes above 1000m and for gradients in excess of 12%
FrankP

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 905759

Sponsored Links