For those who love the Munga Thirri / <span class="highlight">Simpson</span> Desert

Submitted: Tuesday, Jun 16, 2020 at 16:11
ThreadID: 140156 Views:9514 Replies:4 FollowUps:7
This Thread has been Archived
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Allan B (Sunshine Coast) - Tuesday, Jun 16, 2020 at 17:04

Tuesday, Jun 16, 2020 at 17:04
My thoughts are that previous petroleum exploration provided us with some heritage tracks useful for recreational four-wheel driving. However, petroleum exploration in the Simpson has not been very successful in the past so I will not be investing in Tri-Star shares.

What are your thoughts Teraa?

Cheers
Allan

My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 632178

Follow Up By: Teraa - Tuesday, Jun 16, 2020 at 20:07

Tuesday, Jun 16, 2020 at 20:07
It will destroy what we know now
Yes highly likely locked up
These particular environments are simply to fragile
If anything goes wrong the affect will be catastrophic
FollowupID: 908661

Follow Up By: Frank P (NSW) - Tuesday, Jun 16, 2020 at 20:38

Tuesday, Jun 16, 2020 at 20:38
And it will go wrong.

These pr$$$s tick all the boxes at the start, screw up either intentionally or accidentally (more likely the former, protected by, dare I say it, deliberately weak legislation) and then apologise with no penalty.

Witness Rio Tinto in the last few days, blowing up 40000 year old heritage but all totally in accordance with the law.

Say goodbye to the Simpson, folks.

FrankP

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 908662

Follow Up By: Member - David M (SA) - Tuesday, Jun 16, 2020 at 23:30

Tuesday, Jun 16, 2020 at 23:30
Says Frank with his 270 litre tanks. :)
Dave.
FollowupID: 908663

Follow Up By: AlbyNSW - Wednesday, Jun 17, 2020 at 07:48

Wednesday, Jun 17, 2020 at 07:48
Frank I think you are pointing at the wrong people.
The government authorities are the ones who ultimately allow this type of development and are the ones who should be held accountable
Just like Rio Tinto.........who the hell gave them permission to carry out their environmental vandalism in the first place.? That is where the public anger should be vented
FollowupID: 908666

Reply By: Frank P (NSW) - Tuesday, Jun 16, 2020 at 17:41

Tuesday, Jun 16, 2020 at 17:41
My first thoughts are about compromised access. Miners/mineral explorers invariably close the gates around their leases.

EDIT: Actually, my first thoughts are of the environment. Miners cannot do what they do without adversely affecting the environment. Which makes access to the area my second thoughts.
FrankP

Lifetime Member

AnswerID: 632179

Reply By: Member - sparra - Tuesday, Jun 16, 2020 at 18:08

Tuesday, Jun 16, 2020 at 18:08
I was on a seismic crew in the Simpson in the early to mid eighties,about 20 years after the original petroleum mob,French, put all the roads and tracks in.. Our first camp was right beside the Mokari airstrip, also at Colson Well,Walkandi,Poolawanna and further east near Kuncherina.
I was the supply truck driver,a great job,into Coober Pedy once a week for food,drinking water,fuel ,beer etc. Always stopped for a Oodnaburger from Lynnie Plate.
Shower water was from bores,Glen Joyce among others.
Also we had Pecanek transport from Oodnadatta helping out at times......my first taste of Southwark beer was at there yard in Oodnadatta.....took a bit of getting used to??
no good being the richest man in the cemetry

My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 632180

Reply By: Duncanm - Tuesday, Jun 16, 2020 at 20:38

Tuesday, Jun 16, 2020 at 20:38
Thanks for the link.

I have started reading through some of these documents. Some very interesting information.

As others have said above, these days it’s very much about concerns regarding the environment. This is talking about fracking in these Lease areas
AnswerID: 632184

Follow Up By: Teraa - Wednesday, Jun 17, 2020 at 07:20

Wednesday, Jun 17, 2020 at 07:20
My scientific question is
Folk already have water issues
But not what you think it’s keeping a artesian bore stable in what is very soft ground how would a petroleum well go ?
I know we need jobs and fuel and someone has loose their back yard but the roads from Adelaide won’t take it .
Buisiness wont happen in the far North unless there’s roads that lead there.
FollowupID: 908665

Follow Up By: Allan B (Sunshine Coast) - Wednesday, Jun 17, 2020 at 09:32

Wednesday, Jun 17, 2020 at 09:32
Teraa,

Your "scientific question" is what?? You have not stated it.
But you have made several unscientific, but emotional, expressions.

Actually, in that region, the geological strata is pretty solid with just a thin crust of sand above. When I worked there I was not aware of any difficulty in keeping any borehole "stable".

The "roads from Adelaide" (nominally the Strzelecki Track) are in pretty good condition because Santos etc. fund maintenance for their transport activity. You, as a recreational traveller get to enjoy the benefit of that.

Business does already "happen in the far North" because there are roads leading there.

So what are you really on about Teraa? I guess that it is an emotional concern that bad things may happen. Well they already are happening because we, i.e. the Earth's population, are selfishly consuming energy resources and corrupting our environment in a manner that will soon destroy our planet. Our uncaring population will create and leave a wasteland for our children. And I am ashamed to say that I have been a part of that. I am now much more concerned with the global situation than the actions of just one small enterprise in an area that is already compromised by the carbon based energy industry.
When we 4WD'ers stop stop travelling thousands of kilometres in our diesel machines we may be entitled to point accusing fingers at miners.
Cheers
Allan

FollowupID: 908667

Follow Up By: Teraa - Wednesday, Jun 17, 2020 at 13:51

Wednesday, Jun 17, 2020 at 13:51
My question was is the ground stable enough for petroleum wells ?
There’s a lot of unstable bores some not lasting past 2 - 4 years rehab some Only 2 year old needing repairs.
I think your right about our way of life and that’s there’s going to be more of it and it won’t be stopped.
I don’t know what emotional expressions I made, I live and work out in the far North now.
The roads are woeful it just depends on what day you get to go, if you can go.
The Strez. Track should have been finished a long time ago.
Roads will be the downfall for Industry in the far North.
There aren’t even services out here they’ll bring some with them but they mainly keep it to themselves.
People won’t live out here it will be all FIFO
So if it’s not the 4wders they will be replaced with FIFO’s using fuels.
FollowupID: 908671

Sponsored Links