<span class="highlight">caravan</span> rear camera connection

Submitted: Thursday, Oct 28, 2021 at 20:26
ThreadID: 142776 Views:6331 Replies:3 FollowUps:3
This Thread has been Archived
Hello fellow members, I'm looking for advice again, and where better to ask for it than this forum full of wise people
My jayco caravan has a rear camera already fitted etc, but I haven't yet connected it to my LC 200, hence my dilema.----I'm expecting to get an autolech to wire the cruiser to suit etc, but rather than interfere with my rear view mirror as seems to be the norm, I wonder, could such a system be wired into my older model Garmin GPS as a screen, (It's only going to waste anyway with the LC's in dash system)
Not sure how the Garmin is constructed, but can it be "wiped" and used this way----It would make it nice and portable for simply unplugging when not caravanning ....As always, would appreciate your input
Regards.....SapperD

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Kazza055 - Thursday, Oct 28, 2021 at 20:52

Thursday, Oct 28, 2021 at 20:52
What ever you use needs to have a video signal input and I doubt if the Garmin has one.

I have a reversing camera that is part of the main head unit so this function I have left as is.

As I have blanked out all the windows in the canopy on my D-Max so the internal rear view mirror is not usable so I have fitted a 7" monitor that fits over the mirror and has 2 video inputs. The first input is for another rear view camera fitted on the rear numberplate. The second video input is the one from the camera on the back of the van. I find this is the natural place to look to see what is behind you and it works very well.

Trying to incorporate it into the spare video input of the main head unit in my opinion will probably not work. Isuzu turn of any video showing on the screen once I get to 20k/h and the other thing is the audio will be looking for the sound on the video input so probably means you will have no sound.

Better to leave the head unit as is and use a second screen but steer clear of the mirror type of screens, the reflection on the mirror surface virtually makes the screen useless.

For the connection between the car and van, I suggest you use a Wazza Cable that you can get from Brash Imports along with the screen.
AnswerID: 638432

Reply By: Keir & Marg - Friday, Oct 29, 2021 at 10:04

Friday, Oct 29, 2021 at 10:04
Hi SapperD,
We have a Garmin BC30 wireless camera fitted to the back of our Jayco. The wireless transmitter is remote from the camera (but wired to it)and fitted near the front of the van so the signal to the GPS in the car is really good. Some (but not all Garmin GPS) can be fitted with a wireless receiver in their power lead, which then displays the camera video on the GPS screen when the camera is powered up. Our van camera gets its power from the clearance/tail light circuit. As our Garmin GPS can accept up to 4 camera inputs, I have another BC30 camera fitted to the Pajero as a reversing camera.
I got the cameras from Strathfield Car Radios in Sydney, and they also sell the GPS power lead with the inbuilt receiver.
Regards, Keir
AnswerID: 638435

Follow Up By: OzzieCruiser - Friday, Oct 29, 2021 at 13:18

Friday, Oct 29, 2021 at 13:18
Yes Garmin use their own rear camera system and generally they cannot use another brand/type of rear camera. The mentioned BC30 rear camera system is not cheap at about $250 and then you need the Garmin GPS to go with it.
FollowupID: 916863

Follow Up By: Keir & Marg - Friday, Oct 29, 2021 at 14:55

Friday, Oct 29, 2021 at 14:55
BC30 with remote wireless transmitter is $194 from Johnny Appleseed. The OP already has a Garmin GPS.
FollowupID: 916864

Follow Up By: OzzieCruiser - Friday, Oct 29, 2021 at 15:31

Friday, Oct 29, 2021 at 15:31
Not for what you need see here Is currently discounted to $229 with a $20 saving - so close to my $250.

You can get second cameras if you already have the full kit or replacement receiver cheaper but if you do not have anything then currently $229 or normally $249 plus postage. Or buy on ebay for $228 with free postage.

Or you can just get a cheap ebay system with screen for $40 and up.
FollowupID: 916865

Reply By: RMD - Friday, Oct 29, 2021 at 20:01

Friday, Oct 29, 2021 at 20:01
SapperD
Not sure how tech or handy you are, but, I purchased a screen and fitted it above mirror. Two cameras on van and I use RCA and 2.5,mm connectors, same as cameras supplied with. Extension leads to two runs to a selector switch to toggle one or the other camera. I can see both sides at van rear for backing etc. All up cost less than$160. There are many options.

My camera switch is automated and, a switch off and on again, changes from one side camera to the other. That feed goes through a fixed selector switch which allows instance check from vehicle rear camera to check hitch wiring etc OR to the van two cameras. If cameras are set so edge of vision is a KNOWN reference point you can blindly reverse the van parallel to an object the rear vision mirrors cannot see. Some cameras have reversing lines which when aligned with your preferred view allow you to achieve easy maneouvering.
AnswerID: 638441

Sponsored Links