Camping in <span class="highlight">Flinders</span> <span class="highlight">Ranges</span> NP and Arkaroola

Submitted: Sunday, Feb 20, 2022 at 14:18
ThreadID: 143273 Views:5522 Replies:10 FollowUps:6
This Thread has been Archived
We are planning a trip to the Flinders Ranges & Arkaroola in May this year with our Kimberley Karavan. How much time do members recommend in these areas and where should we camp? Thanks Geoff & Sandy.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Peter_n_Margaret - Sunday, Feb 20, 2022 at 14:51

Sunday, Feb 20, 2022 at 14:51
I have been going to the Flinders since before I could walk. Have probably been there for 4 days or more 40 times. We still go at least once a year.
We are still finding new places to explore.
Our favorite camp area these days in the National Park is Brachina Gorge. There are no facilities. If you need facilities I would suggest Rawnsley Park.
Arkaroola is a private "resort". It includes some truly spectacular country. The facilities are "tired".
In between the Flinders NP and Arkaroola is the Gammon Ranges NP. Don't miss them. There is camping there too. No facilities.
You can also drive from the northern end of the Gammons directly into Arkaroola. Quite remote.

We have lots of pics and a couple of short video clips. :)
https://youtu.be/lhPsTlP_cTo
https://youtu.be/sg_uy78SjiI
https://youtu.be/V212SJQ4mYY
Cheers,
Peter
OKA196 motorhome

AnswerID: 639551

Follow Up By: Peter_n_Margaret - Sunday, Feb 20, 2022 at 19:54

Sunday, Feb 20, 2022 at 19:54

Cheers,
Peter
OKA196 motorhome
FollowupID: 918640

Reply By: Member - Geoff W (QLD) - Sunday, Feb 20, 2022 at 16:24

Sunday, Feb 20, 2022 at 16:24
Thanks Peter & Margaret for your comments. We watched all the clips. They were great!
AnswerID: 639554

Reply By: Member - Jim S1 - Sunday, Feb 20, 2022 at 17:00

Sunday, Feb 20, 2022 at 17:00
Pretty sure we saw some yellow footed rock wallabies in Brachina last time we visited. Beautiful!

Cheers
Jim
"Sometimes I sits and thinks, and sometimes I just sits." A fisherman.

"No road is long with good company." Traditional

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 639555

Reply By: Member - Geoff W (QLD) - Sunday, Feb 20, 2022 at 17:59

Sunday, Feb 20, 2022 at 17:59
Thanks for that Jim. Hopefully we will see some as well when we are there. Fingers crossed!
AnswerID: 639557

Follow Up By: Peter_n_Margaret - Sunday, Feb 20, 2022 at 18:52

Sunday, Feb 20, 2022 at 18:52
During the worst of the drought, they were all in big trouble as water supplies that had never been dry in living memory were gone. At Arkaroola they were hand feeding and watering them to maintain a breeding stock, if worst came to worst.

The rock mound was built for the purpose by a friend of ours.
Cheers,
Peter
OKA196 motorhome
FollowupID: 918639

Reply By: ExplorOz Team - Michelle - Monday, Feb 21, 2022 at 16:13

Monday, Feb 21, 2022 at 16:13
A return trip to the Flinders Ranges is also on our list - possibly this winter but I also want to get into the West McDonnell ranges again so it depends how much time we can get away. We have been to the places mentioned by Peter above and agree these are the highlights - although its wonderful to take a scenic flight over Wilpena Pound if you can (and of course hike up to St Marys Peak if you enjoy adventurous hiking). There's so much to do there and I can't wait to use our drone as this area is just so big it's hard to comprehend from the ground.
Michelle Martin
Marketing & Customer Support
I.T. Beyond Pty Ltd / ExplorOz

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 639565

Follow Up By: Peter_n_Margaret - Monday, Feb 21, 2022 at 18:50

Monday, Feb 21, 2022 at 18:50
We arrived at Wilpena Pound in a light aircraft just after dawn once and the Pound was full of dense mist that was spilling out over the edges and it looked like a giant Christmas pudding. No pics :(

ps.. you will need a permit to operate a drone in any SA National Park.

Cheers,
Peter
OKA196 motorhome
FollowupID: 918650

Follow Up By: Bazooka - Wednesday, Feb 23, 2022 at 13:15

Wednesday, Feb 23, 2022 at 13:15
Drones no doubt have a place and I appreciate most of the footage when publicly posted - esp of remote areas - but they are also extremely intrusive in the wrong place/hands at the wrong time. Thanks heavens they're restricted in many places.

That view of the misty pound must have been wonderful Peter. I've bushwalked in Tassie mountains and seen similar sights from higher terrain as the mist/fog spilled over into lower lying country. Spectacular.

Have (had?) two slides of colour enhanced (ie not "real" colour) satellite images of Wilpena pound (one from the blue end of the spectrum, one red) which are (were) fabulous. Really show the geological structures well. Given to me decades ago by the remote sensing group at a former workplace. Must check to see if I can find them. Possibly in an old slide cassette.

Been a long time since I was there last and not sure if it's still the same but I advise people not to wash their hair in the showers at Arkaroola . I went straight to the showers and missed the sign at the sink. Suffice to say subsequent attempts at combing were impossible! Shower was great although I might have twigged when lathering was difficult.
FollowupID: 918663

Follow Up By: Peter_n_Margaret - Wednesday, Feb 23, 2022 at 14:49

Wednesday, Feb 23, 2022 at 14:49
A "bad hair day" could be the least of your worries :)
The Paralana Hot Springs are radioactive. They emit radon gas.
https://marssociety.org.au/project/geology/place/paralana-springs
"General
The hot spring lies in the bed of Paralana Creek, where it crosses a splay off the Paralana fault. The rocks in this area are extensively brecciated and show goethite-kalonite alteration. The spring water is at a temperature of 60 deg at source. Associated with the groundwater discharge is extensive gas venting, typically nitrogen and carbon dioxide. The water is radioactive, attributed to dissolved radon and radium. A sulphurous smell is noticeable and sediments in the creekbed below the surface are stained black suggestive of sulphate reductrion. There is an extensive microbial community that includes mats on the bottom of the pool and creek, columnar growths and floating mats. These have a rubbery texture"
Cheers,
Peter
OKA196 motorhome
FollowupID: 918664

Follow Up By: Bazooka - Wednesday, Feb 23, 2022 at 18:04

Wednesday, Feb 23, 2022 at 18:04
Nice of the microbes to provide mats to brave bathers Peter. Don't recall any mats in the Arkaroola ablution block.
FollowupID: 918666

Reply By: Member - Geoff W (QLD) - Monday, Feb 21, 2022 at 17:30

Monday, Feb 21, 2022 at 17:30
Thanks Michelle for your comments. We have been to the Flinders Ranges & Arkaroola area but many, many years ago so really looking forward to our trip in May.
Geoff & Sandy
AnswerID: 639567

Reply By: Rob A1 (SA) - Monday, Feb 21, 2022 at 18:02

Monday, Feb 21, 2022 at 18:02
It really depends on what you want to do. There are several station stays offering bush camping at various levels of comfort with some of them having some pretty interesting 4WD tracks to keep you entertained while sampling some of the flora and history of the area.

Then you have the logistics hub of Leigh Ck with a small but nice caravan park, excellent quality water for your tanks, a great supermarket and pub plus refuelling facilities. Just down the road is Copely where the bakery is a MUST visit for their quandong pies amongst other tasty treats and coffee.

As well you have the historic Blinman where a guided tour of the historic copper mine is worth the investment. Then you have the choice of an excellent feed and drink at the pub and/or something more snacky with great coffee at the shop

You can easily spend 2-3 weeks wandering around doing the PAR's and checking out all the walks available across and outside of the NP.

The Ediacran fossil tour from the Parachilna pub is something special for rockhounds and us normal folk as well. You can start with an excellent breakfast and/or dine out on their globally famous FMG (Feral Mixed Grill) and wash it all down with a Fargher Lager of course

Rob
Rob Ackland

AnswerID: 639568

Reply By: Member - Geoff W (QLD) - Monday, Feb 21, 2022 at 19:30

Monday, Feb 21, 2022 at 19:30
We really appreciate your suggestions Rob and will add them to our list of places and attractions to research. Many thanks.
AnswerID: 639569

Reply By: Member - McLaren3030 - Tuesday, Feb 22, 2022 at 07:23

Tuesday, Feb 22, 2022 at 07:23
Hi Geoff,

Don’t forget the Pichi Richi Railway not that far south from the Flinders Ranges. If you have travelled any sort of distance to see the Flinders Ranges, then the extra few Kilometres south to Quorn is not that big a deal.

Macca.
Macca.

Lifetime Member

AnswerID: 639573

Reply By: Member - Geoff W (QLD) - Tuesday, Feb 22, 2022 at 08:01

Tuesday, Feb 22, 2022 at 08:01
Thanks for that Macca. We will actually be doing the Pitchi Richi Train experience with our caravan club as our national gathering this year is in Melrose in May. After the gathering is when we are heading to Wilpena Pound and Arkaroola. Many thanks.
AnswerID: 639574

Sponsored Links