What tyre type and size?

Submitted: Wednesday, Sep 14, 2022 at 20:36
ThreadID: 144815 Views:4854 Replies:4 FollowUps:6
This Thread has been Archived
Gday folks, I need some true experience advice from you regarding tyre choice asI think too many follow the Jones blindly by going bigger and wider. I drive an RC Colorado with 265/70r16 Kumho hybrids and friends have similar size but mud terrains on their newer model 4wd utes. We hunt high country every two weeks and struggle getting to camp up steep wet clay tracks with ruts because of lots of wheel spin.
Im thinking of getting a second set of wheels with aggressive 235/85r16 mud tyres. Would they be better on slick wet clay with some rock than the 265 width tyres?
Regards Boris

Back Expand Un-Read 1 Moderator

Reply By: Frank P (NSW) - Wednesday, Sep 14, 2022 at 20:50

Wednesday, Sep 14, 2022 at 20:50
I guess you are not a novice, but are you reducing tyre pressures? Slick wet clay will test any tyre.
FrankP

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 641630

Follow Up By: Boris K - Wednesday, Sep 14, 2022 at 20:55

Wednesday, Sep 14, 2022 at 20:55
Im only reducing down to 30psi because of the deep ruts. It seems most ruts are created by 34-5inch tyres but mine are only 31inch. I will try go down to 20psi next trip though.

EDIT by Mods to remove excessive blank lines
FollowupID: 920895

Follow Up By: Frank P (NSW) - Wednesday, Sep 14, 2022 at 21:18

Wednesday, Sep 14, 2022 at 21:18
Yes, I think 20 is a better bet in wet clay conditions, lower if you have bead lockers.
FrankP

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 920896

Reply By: Member - nickb boab - Wednesday, Sep 14, 2022 at 21:02

Wednesday, Sep 14, 2022 at 21:02
Boris: I think the second set of tyres for your adventures is an excellent idea , it is what I do I have a second set for when we travel etc..a set of mud tyres which are not particularly wide.. not that I am someone who travels into the high country so I can't talk about that but I don't see any advantage in going wide better off with narrow tall tyres in my experience .
Cheers Nick b

My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 641631

Reply By: Member - Lloyd M - Thursday, Sep 15, 2022 at 09:00

Thursday, Sep 15, 2022 at 09:00
Try a set of chains, no more damaging to the track than a set of mud tyres but a lot more grip. Better still put chains on both front & back, you'll be amazed where you can go.
Lloyd Mac

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 641635

Follow Up By: Boris K - Thursday, Sep 15, 2022 at 12:38

Thursday, Sep 15, 2022 at 12:38
Thats great advice thanks. Very common overseas from what Im told. I was looking at ebay for them last night
FollowupID: 920904

Reply By: Phil B (WA) - Thursday, Sep 15, 2022 at 09:01

Thursday, Sep 15, 2022 at 09:01
Have you considered diff locks front and rear? They make a huge difference.

There is a lot of difference between
‘Human Being’ and ‘Being Human’.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 641636

Follow Up By: Boris K - Thursday, Sep 15, 2022 at 12:42

Thursday, Sep 15, 2022 at 12:42
I have an 3.0TD RC Colorado and have put manual locking hubs from a Jackeroo on the front so I can pull the boat out easier in low4 at the steep ramps. Would you know what the Lokka system would be like for the front diff of this car? Id only use chains on the back wheels then as they wont fit the front due to clearance issues. The Faecesbook Colorado forums are very unreliable for info. Ill try do a search on this forum later too
FollowupID: 920905

Follow Up By: Member Kerry W (Qld) - Tuesday, Sep 20, 2022 at 21:32

Tuesday, Sep 20, 2022 at 21:32
Boris check here for some info and to see if they do a Lokka for the front diff of your vehicle. Your LSD in the rear may be fine as it is.

https://4wdsystems.com.au/lokka-faq/.

The lokka would change your whole offroad experience. Since you have manual hubs it will work well for you. Lokkas are designed to be permanantly locked until you turn the wheel and one wheel wants to travel less distance than the other and with minimal friction the lokka simply unlocks that side until foward motion requires it to lock again - happens in an instant. They are ultra reliable if installed correctly. (have to ensure that equal pressure on each wheel elicits unlocking once installed) They are very forgiving in soft sand and mud as far as turning goes compared to air lockers etc. I assume your Colorado would have an LSD in the rear. You can improve its perfomance by replacing the oil with Penrite diff oil Probably a 75/90 grade just check the specs for your vehicle.. Penrite already has the correct LSD additives but performs better than anything else I have found in LSDs.
Personally have had a lot of experience with Lokkas over the last 20 odd years and have had one on a GQ Patrol for that time as well and it has been fantastic - always works and allows far more steering control than other locking systems.

Tyres - whatever size you choose will be OK but if you need mud tyres just get some for your second set. Nothing else will see you overcome the challenge you describe as easily. Search out some Westlake Mud Legends (They are also marketed under Goodride). Opinions may discourage you (they are a cheaper tyre and sales people have always tried to sell us different brands) but unless someone has actually owned and used them it will just be an opinion. You will not pay a fortune for them, they are better on wet bitumen than most other Muddies I have tried but you will still need to be vigilant in the wet as with any mud tyre. I only suggest them as I have trialled them for close on 4 years now and they are far better all round than most other brands at twice the price. There are quite a few of us using them with no problems or complaints - a good find when caught short in remote WA they are Used extensively in the Pilbara (mining industry), admittedly Chinese manufacture but for your purposes they would be safe, reliable, affordable as a second set and one of the tougher tyres I have used.

Tyre width, Personally I use a wider high profile tyre which allows me to reduce air pressure more than a smaller tyre giving advantages in traction and ride comfort. The old argument of exposing the side wall to damage certainly applies to some types of tyre but the westlakes and many other quality offroad 3 ply LT tyres handle this fine.
Play with your tyre pressure and just guage how your tyre looks (remember your physics - PSI relates to the pounds per square inch - surface area - inside the tyre). If you have too much bulge you do risk rolling the tyre off the rim but that would likely occur below 12-15 psi and by driving carelessly, turning sharp etc etc. Experience and thinking things through are the key.
I have a fair bit of experience offroad, UG mining and recovering heavy machinery UG so if you have any specific questions I am happy to reply.
Others will have other experiences to share,
Kerry W (Qld)
Security is mostly a superstition. It doesnt exist in nature. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing.
-Helen Keller

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 920997

Follow Up By: Boris K - Wednesday, Sep 21, 2022 at 19:40

Wednesday, Sep 21, 2022 at 19:40
Thank you Kerry, thats a great help. I will get a front Lokka in that case and leave the rear as it is. I already have the Penrite oil in the diffs, as I changed all the fluids after I bought the car and I'll do my daughters new RC Colorado in the next week or so too. My daughter gets out and about in the paddocks(work) and high country too so will likely put a Lokka in hers too.
I have come across the Goodrides here but went with the better known Toyo Open country AT's when replacing daughters tyres. Her car came with the old Kumho MT71 235/85R16 which were not roadworthy only due to their sizing. The pest controller we bought the car off up in Cooma swore by them as they drove and steered through the wet mud better than his other work cars including patrols with bigger tyres. We still have the tyres but with under 10mm of tread left so I'll use them on hunting my trips for now.

Regards Boris
FollowupID: 921002

Sponsored Links