Brake control unit

Submitted: Thursday, Oct 06, 2022 at 08:43
ThreadID: 144919 Views:3834 Replies:8 FollowUps:13
This Thread has been Archived
Morning folks : wondering if you could advise me on what sort of brake control unit would be available for our new setup . recently purchased a new Everest 4 x 4 and a Jayco journey 2020 someone mentioned about a control unit that sits on the caravan rather in the car.. not sure if this is true or false & Would I be able to move/ tow this caravan a short distance without a brake control unit at all ? That of course would not be legal ;))
? Thanks in advance for anyone who can help cheers Nick
Cheers Nick b

My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Rob A1 (SA) - Thursday, Oct 06, 2022 at 09:01

Thursday, Oct 06, 2022 at 09:01
There’s plenty of choice. We’ve been using the REDARC TowPro controllers since they were introduced around 8 years or so ago. Current version is excellent & has the small form factor needed in most new vehicles of today.

Others will have experience of other brands I’m sure

Rob
Rob Ackland

My Profile  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 641784

Follow Up By: Frank P (NSW) - Thursday, Oct 06, 2022 at 10:05

Thursday, Oct 06, 2022 at 10:05
The big advantage of the Tow Pro is that the unit and its control are separate, connected by a cable. You can mount the unit anywhere convenient (eg , under the dash) in any orientation and mount the small control knob in a convenient location on the dash, remote from the unit.

I also had excellent results with a Tekonsha Prodigy in another vehicle. It had mounting restrictions which deemed it unsuitable for my BT50 - hence the Tow Pro - but it was excellent in my 120 Prado.

FrankP

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 921136

Follow Up By: Member - Cuppa - Thursday, Oct 06, 2022 at 10:35

Thursday, Oct 06, 2022 at 10:35
Another vote in favour of the Redarc Towpro. We, like most folk, use ours in 'Automatic' (Proportional) most of the time. However when we were towing our Tvan in some fairly gnarly off road conditions we had an electrical problem (not the Towpro, ended up being a corrugation induced loosening of a connection to a relay supplying power to the Towpro that I had fitted) and the Towpro, instead of failing in the circumstances, defaulted to t's other mode (User Controlled) which I had never previously used. On the sort of terrain we were travelling on it turned out that this mode was perfect. We continued in 'User Controlled mode' after we rectified the connection problem until we got back to the Gibb River Road.

Having the controls in the cab to be able to easily & intuitively change braking force to the van wheels in those off road circumstances was a definite plus.

I suspect that the unit you have heard about which fits onto the van is one I only came across in the past week when I saw it mentioned elsewhere. Called 'Elecbrake'. For everyday on-road use, & ease of fitment I think it has some benefit, but I think I'd still prefer the Towpro for it's ease of use & greater off road flexibility. The Elecbrake is more expensive & any unit fitted to the van is limited to that van. A controller fitted in the car can be used with other vans too.
See 'My Profile' (below) for link to our Aussie travel blog, now in it's 6th year.

FollowupID: 921137

Follow Up By: Gronk - Thursday, Oct 06, 2022 at 17:58

Thursday, Oct 06, 2022 at 17:58
Cuppa, you probably already know, but you don’t fit a relay to supply power to a brake controller. They should run direct from a battery either through a CB or a fuse.
FollowupID: 921142

Follow Up By: Member - Cuppa - Thursday, Oct 06, 2022 at 18:11

Thursday, Oct 06, 2022 at 18:11
Hi Gronk, my mistake, you are correct. I meant to write circuit breaker, not relay. It is one of those little auto-reset types.

If anyone has a Towpro which begins doing an impersonation of a christmas tree & you have one of these fitted, & the sequence of lights doesn't match anything in the Towpro handbook, check the tightness of these two connections! It may save you a lot of worry.

See 'My Profile' (below) for link to our Aussie travel blog, now in it's 6th year.

FollowupID: 921143

Follow Up By: Gronk - Thursday, Oct 06, 2022 at 20:31

Thursday, Oct 06, 2022 at 20:31
I have a crappy little CB as well. Been meaning to buy a better unit….one day !!!
FollowupID: 921147

Follow Up By: qldcamper - Monday, Oct 17, 2022 at 05:23

Monday, Oct 17, 2022 at 05:23
Those crappy little cct breakers are quite reliable if they are a decent brand such as Cole Herse, and you keep them dry. The cheap ones can be crappy.
Pretty sure fuses are not compliant in Australia, or they werent 15 years ago when I last read the ADR, must be an auto reset cct breaker.
Some American vehicles came pre wired for brake controllers but were fused so that had to be changed to be compliant here.
Also there must be nothing else running off that breaker. Many times I saw fridges, driving lights and all sorts on the same breaker.
FollowupID: 921223

Reply By: Shane M11 - Thursday, Oct 06, 2022 at 10:31

Thursday, Oct 06, 2022 at 10:31
If you get your Ford dealer to install their controller (they use tow pro) you will be covered by a 5 year warranty.
AnswerID: 641786

Reply By: Member - nickb boab - Thursday, Oct 06, 2022 at 11:06

Thursday, Oct 06, 2022 at 11:06
The unit that I have heard of and what cuppa has mentioned apparently didn't need to be wired and used your phone to control and make adjustments. ??
regarding the red arc towpro I imagine that would need wiring to the car professionally . Thanks nick
Cheers Nick b

AnswerID: 641787

Follow Up By: Member - nickb boab - Thursday, Oct 06, 2022 at 11:46

Thursday, Oct 06, 2022 at 11:46
Tuson break control unit
This must be the unit I have heard of haven't read anything about it as yet some research for tonight
Cheers Nick b

FollowupID: 921139

Follow Up By: Keir & Marg - Thursday, Oct 06, 2022 at 13:46

Thursday, Oct 06, 2022 at 13:46
I presume you are aware that the Tuson brake control unit is a sway control device, not a brake controller? As such, it can only be used as an additional device to a brake controller; it can prevent sway, but won't brake the caravan.

I second others' opinion of the Redarc Towpro, having changed to it after using a non-proportional controller for many years. Absolutely fantastic and the best bit of kit ever.
FollowupID: 921140

Follow Up By: Member - Cuppa - Thursday, Oct 06, 2022 at 18:30

Thursday, Oct 06, 2022 at 18:30
The unit I referred to was the Elecbrakes unit. Yes it needs a phone to set it up & either a phone or their controller in the cab in case of wanting to use override braking to brake the van only. I don't like that you have to switch the override on & switch it off. Override is via bluetooth.

I prefer the Towpro which behaves similarly to applying a brake pedal. Push the knob in for override brakes, release knob to release override brakes. The unit does of course need wiring in, but is simpler than wiring a unit into the car & running wires back to the tow hitch. I think it is more expensive than the towpro.

As I said before I like having the option of 'non-proportional braking in some off road situations.

https://www.elecbrakes.com/how-it-works/

https://www.elecbrakes.com/wiring-diagrams/

FollowupID: 921144

Follow Up By: Member - nickb boab - Thursday, Oct 06, 2022 at 20:05

Thursday, Oct 06, 2022 at 20:05
Cuppa .. I think I would agree with you I'll see what the minister of Finance thinks of that lol :))

Keir thanks for your comment I did not know still doing the research on what is going to be the answer
Cheers appreciate the info Nick
Cheers Nick b

FollowupID: 921146

Reply By: Member - peter_mcc - Thursday, Oct 06, 2022 at 13:51

Thursday, Oct 06, 2022 at 13:51
We've got this one that sits on the trailer and is controlled by the brake lights:

https://www.elecbrakes.com/

It seems to "work" ok. I put the car brakes on and the trailer brakes come on. It has various adjustments for how "hard" they come on.

Comes with a USB powered remote so you can adjust it from the car.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 641790

Follow Up By: Member - nickb boab - Thursday, Oct 06, 2022 at 15:40

Thursday, Oct 06, 2022 at 15:40
Thanks Peter ..elecbrakes.. that is the one that I was told about. Just got link for it . Probably worth installing a more conventional safe and reliable redarc unit for the long-term maybe . Cheers Nick
Cheers Nick b

FollowupID: 921141

Reply By: AlbyNSW - Thursday, Oct 06, 2022 at 14:47

Thursday, Oct 06, 2022 at 14:47
Have a look at the local hire shop like Coates or Kennards to see what they use.. I cant recall what brand it was but when i hired an excavator on a trailer they had a unit that just plugged into the cigarette lighter plug and operated wirelessly
AnswerID: 641791

Reply By: Gronk - Thursday, Oct 06, 2022 at 18:01

Thursday, Oct 06, 2022 at 18:01
Bendix now have a brake controller out…looks to be a copy of the Redarc, but at $259 and 3 yr warranty , they look ok.
Still looking into whether they are in fact proportional or not ?
AnswerID: 641792

Reply By: Member - Murray R (VIC) - Thursday, Oct 06, 2022 at 19:29

Thursday, Oct 06, 2022 at 19:29
Nick
If you go with the Redarc tow pro you will also need a designated Redarc wiring loon that has to be used with Everest and Rangers and will add some where in the $250/300 to the price on top of the tow pro unit. The loon has to be used because of the adaptive braking system that Everest and Rangers use.

Murray
Another Mexican

Lifetime Member

AnswerID: 641793

Follow Up By: Member - nickb boab - Thursday, Oct 06, 2022 at 19:59

Thursday, Oct 06, 2022 at 19:59
Thanks Murray went to Autobarn this afternoon and sore the unit that you were talking about with the loom , if I was to buy that I could probably install it myself I guess saving myself maybe $300 installation cost an auto electrician etc would charge ??
I'm wondering if the new everests are still using the Cambus wiring system like my PX Ranger has ..
Cheers Nick b

FollowupID: 921145

Follow Up By: Member - Murray R (VIC) - Saturday, Oct 08, 2022 at 00:17

Saturday, Oct 08, 2022 at 00:17
Nick
If your Everest has autonomous braking (adaptive wrong word) you

have to use the deadicate loom for that system to work. If your handy you should be ok as detailled instructions come with loom kit

Murray
Another Mexican

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 921176

Reply By: Peter_n_Margaret - Thursday, Oct 06, 2022 at 22:40

Thursday, Oct 06, 2022 at 22:40
Completely off topic :)
If/when I complete the new OKA motorhome build, my next project will be an off road trailer to suit it.
It will be single axle, sharing springs, dampers, wheels and tyres with the tug OKA and be fitted with disc brakes identical to those on the OKA.
GTM will be determined by the springs - yet to be decided, but probably somewhere between 2.8 and 3.8T. The new OKA is planned to have a GVM of 4.45T and a GCM of 9T with a tow bar rated to 4.5T.
Trailer brakes will be electric over hydraulic and any of the common vehicle controllers will do the job, but as RedArc are an Adelaide company, that is what I will use.
Cheers,
Peter
OKA196 motorhome
AnswerID: 641797

Sponsored Links