ExplorOz Traveller (Web) Trek Creation Pre Planning

Submitted: Wednesday, Oct 12, 2022 at 19:38
ThreadID: 144946 Views:2683 Replies:3 FollowUps:2
This Thread has been Archived
I am a rookie at the ExplorOz Travller (Web) version and Trek creation process. I have watched the youtube videos posted by David and have successfully created some personal outback treks. However, thinking I was proficient when I am actually NOT, on some parts of the map (using EOTopo 2021) when I create a trek (yes I have added my points of interest into a folder) when I get it to recalculate from straight line to say driving in Navigation mode, rather than simply taking the shortest and most obvious line on the map, it creates a trek for that part which goes the very long way around which makes no sense at all. For example, the 2 points of interest may even be on the same track on the map yet it creates the trek backtracking and going around a different track altogether. What am I doing wrong? Thanks for any comments/advice.
There's only 5 billlion years left for our sun.. make every day count.

My Profile  Send Message

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Warren H - Wednesday, Oct 12, 2022 at 19:57

Wednesday, Oct 12, 2022 at 19:57
If it is on a track and there is no cycling or driving routing and you get straight line navigation strange things like you describe have happened to me. I tried a walking route and got back tracked triangular routes between way points. The only solution I found was to have way points at close intervals say 100 m. Fortunately it was a short route through a newly gazetted NP, where the track differed from the original station tracks on the map. The new NP track was visible on the satellite image and matched the NP mud map, I used this image to mark out way points.
NT Pajero
2007 Goldstream Crown

My Profile  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 641838

Reply By: Member - Brenton - Wednesday, Oct 12, 2022 at 21:13

Wednesday, Oct 12, 2022 at 21:13
Thanks for the reply. I added numerous more way points and got a better result so I think your suggestion works. For me tho 100m intervals just doesn't cut it as I am creating a trek potentially 10's of km long. It only seems to be a problem in certain parts of the outback on low use tracks maybe.

My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 641840

Follow Up By: Member - Warren H - Wednesday, Oct 12, 2022 at 22:13

Wednesday, Oct 12, 2022 at 22:13
Have you tried cycling as the mode of travel?
NT Pajero
2007 Goldstream Crown

My Profile  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 921196

Reply By: Member - Brenton - Thursday, Oct 13, 2022 at 18:30

Thursday, Oct 13, 2022 at 18:30
Thanks for the follow up message. After a few attempts cycling mode works by the looks. Didn't plan on riding in the outback but I guess I can! -:) Much appreciated.

My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 641848

Follow Up By: Member - pedro1 - Friday, Oct 14, 2022 at 11:36

Friday, Oct 14, 2022 at 11:36
On some 4WD tracks I find actually cycling them is quicker than driving !
FollowupID: 921205

Sponsored Links