Charging 18V Makita batteries

Submitted: Monday, Oct 17, 2022 at 23:14
ThreadID: 144955 Views:7413 Replies:11 FollowUps:37
This Thread has been Archived
Here's one for the electrical guru's out there.

My electrical set up is very basic. I have split the batteries in my 2012 200 series and installed a Redarc 1225D.

Starting Battery is a Century N70ZZLXMF and auxiliary is a Century N70ZZXHD

I have never fitted an isolator.

I have a Powertech 360 Watt inverter and a Projecta 600 Watt inverter, both Pure sine wave.

If the Makita charger is 240Watt as it has stamped on it, should I be able to charge that straight off the start battery using the 360 Watt inverter to charge the Makita batteries?

Thanks in advance for any good advice.
Wooly VKS-737 Mobile 0058

My Profile  Send Message

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Peter_n_Margaret - Monday, Oct 17, 2022 at 23:22

Monday, Oct 17, 2022 at 23:22
Yep. Should be no problem.
Cheers,
Peter
OKA196 motorhome
AnswerID: 641864

Reply By: qldcamper - Tuesday, Oct 18, 2022 at 05:27

Tuesday, Oct 18, 2022 at 05:27
As long as the engine is running.
I used to run a soldering iron which drew 15 amps from an isolated N70 on a daily basis for probably half hr a day on average and it failed after a couple of months.
When I did the warranty claim the rep did not want to do it saying it was a starting battery and they couldnt handle long low discharge repeatedly but agreed to replace the battery if I paid to step up to an N100 which he claimed would cope better.
That battery lasted 9 months.
Dont know if it was the chemistry or just supercharge are a shit brand but I never used them again.
Changed to two calcium NS70 in parrallel after that which were also used for 12 and 24 volt jump starting and they lasted for years.
AnswerID: 641865

Follow Up By: Phil B (WA) - Tuesday, Oct 18, 2022 at 12:21

Tuesday, Oct 18, 2022 at 12:21
Hi qldcamper,
I do lots of corrugation and trackless (no roads) country driving. I've been using Supercharge Allrounders for years; currently, one is 2.5 years old and another I replaced after 2 years 7 months. Note I only use Allrounders.
There is a lot of difference between
‘Human Being’ and ‘Being Human’.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

FollowupID: 921231

Follow Up By: Allan B (Sunshine Coast) - Tuesday, Oct 18, 2022 at 12:35

Tuesday, Oct 18, 2022 at 12:35
Phil, "2 years 7 months" is a rather short life for a lead-acid battery. But I notice that Supercharge only offer 12 months warranty on their 'All-Rounder' battery.
Generally, I would be expecting 4 years life on any reputable lead-acid battery operated under manufacturer's recommendations, but maybe less if subjected to the heat and vibration hardships of 4WD operation.
Of course, there are those among us who claim 8+ year life achievement of their batteries but they must be leading a more virtuous life than I.
Cheers
Allan

My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 921232

Follow Up By: Peter_n_Margaret - Tuesday, Oct 18, 2022 at 13:21

Tuesday, Oct 18, 2022 at 13:21
I used good quality wet cell cranks in the OKA initially.
I got 2 years from the first and 3 years from the second.
The third was a 120Ah Fullriver HGL AGM. I changed it after 9 years for a "cheap" 125Ah AGM that is now 4 years old.
Corrugations kill wet cell batteries. They fall apart internally.
Cheers,
Peter
OKA196 motorhome
FollowupID: 921233

Follow Up By: Allan B (Sunshine Coast) - Tuesday, Oct 18, 2022 at 13:27

Tuesday, Oct 18, 2022 at 13:27
Peter, why did you move from Fullriver to "cheap" AGM's?...... Cost effectiveness?

Yes, I got much better AGM life when I moved them from the engine bay (above the front axle) to inside the cab about midway between the axles.
Cheers
Allan

FollowupID: 921234

Follow Up By: Phil B (WA) - Tuesday, Oct 18, 2022 at 13:30

Tuesday, Oct 18, 2022 at 13:30
Hi Allan B (Sunshine Coast),

My batteries get a hard life because of the type of travel I do; I'm pleased with what I get out of them. I use a Redarc 40amp charger system between the two.
I also have a 100 a/h Lithium in the back with its own Redarc 40amp charger system.

My tyres also get a hard life. I'm not going to mention the brand I use because everyone has their favourite.

kindest
Phil

PS I hope you're growing webbing between your toes resulting from the heavy rains over that way.

There is a lot of difference between
‘Human Being’ and ‘Being Human’.

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 921235

Follow Up By: Peter_n_Margaret - Tuesday, Oct 18, 2022 at 13:41

Tuesday, Oct 18, 2022 at 13:41
I believe Fullriver are over priced.
I am now using an NPP.https://www.batteryvalue.com.au/
I can also crank from the house batteries, charge the house from the alternator directly or charge the crank from the solar, simply by linking them via a solenoid. No DC-DC required.
Cheers,
Peter
OKA196 motorhome
FollowupID: 921236

Follow Up By: Allan B (Sunshine Coast) - Tuesday, Oct 18, 2022 at 13:50

Tuesday, Oct 18, 2022 at 13:50
Yes Phil, there is no doubt that physical shock stresses a battery. Some construction (Fullriver) manages that better but at a premium price. Lithium are maybe yet to demonstrate their vibration durability.

Rain has not been excessive at 'Camelot' (Sunshine Coast) lol. However we were down in S.A. and heading home via the Murray when we decided to opt out and run for home. We missed a bullet!
I must say that I have never seen the S.A. Fleurieu Peninsula look so green. Just like the British Isles.
We had a great time amongst the vineyards!
Cheers
Allan

FollowupID: 921237

Follow Up By: Gbc.. - Wednesday, Oct 19, 2022 at 10:43

Wednesday, Oct 19, 2022 at 10:43
Still running a 2013 optima in the ute running the fridge 24/7- the cheapest batteries are never the cheapest to buy. From my experience with fleets, 2.5 yrs is a decent run out of the allrounders. Someone makes money out of them but it isn't the end user.
FollowupID: 921238

Reply By: Bob Y. - Qld - Tuesday, Oct 18, 2022 at 06:35

Tuesday, Oct 18, 2022 at 06:35
Buy a Makita 12v charger & problem solved.
We used one on a recent trip & it worked well, running off 2 x 100Ah lithiums.

Bob
Seen it all, Done it all.
Can't remember most of it.

Lifetime Member

AnswerID: 641866

Follow Up By: Member - McLaren3030 - Tuesday, Oct 18, 2022 at 08:16

Tuesday, Oct 18, 2022 at 08:16
I second this. I have a 12 volt cigarette lighter input Makita Charger for charging 18 v Makita batteries and can confirm it works very well.

Macca.
Macca.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 921230

Reply By: Gbc.. - Tuesday, Oct 18, 2022 at 08:27

Tuesday, Oct 18, 2022 at 08:27
No problem. I use a little 240v inverter off the second battery to charge my ryobi 18v batteries. No need to run the engine, power draw is minor. Those 12v chargers for 18v batteries were awfully inefficient and slow last time I checked.
AnswerID: 641867

Reply By: Allan B (Sunshine Coast) - Tuesday, Oct 18, 2022 at 10:05

Tuesday, Oct 18, 2022 at 10:05
Hi Wooly,
You should be able to use either of your inverters to power your existing Makita charger.
A Makita 12vdc input charger may be more convenient but you already have a mains charger so no reason not to use that.
The Makita batteries are typically rated as 5Ah so allowing for significant inefficiencies in the inverter/charger you will possibly consume less than 10Ah from your battery for each full charge, so allow for that consumption.
Cheers
Allan

AnswerID: 641868

Reply By: Life Member - Duncan W (WA) - Tuesday, Oct 18, 2022 at 10:38

Tuesday, Oct 18, 2022 at 10:38
For what it's worth I recharge via a 300watt inverter connected to my rear battery that also runs my 2 fridges. I find that the inverter will run well with the engine not running and it seems to recharge my Ryobi 18V batteries surprisingly fast with no apparent detriment to the car battery.

Dunc
Make sure you give back more than you take

Lifetime Member

AnswerID: 641869

Reply By: Croc099 - Wednesday, Oct 19, 2022 at 00:40

Wednesday, Oct 19, 2022 at 00:40
I charge my laptops, drills and chainsaw from a 300W modified sine inverter without a problem. Battery drain is not significant.
AnswerID: 641872

Reply By: Max P1 - Wednesday, Oct 19, 2022 at 04:33

Wednesday, Oct 19, 2022 at 04:33
interesting information
AnswerID: 641873

Reply By: Member - nickb boab - Wednesday, Oct 19, 2022 at 18:28

Wednesday, Oct 19, 2022 at 18:28

My experience was that my 300a inverter w heavy cables wouldn't charge the rapid 9 amp Makita B charger W my 5 amp hour batteries ,can't remember exactly what happened.. blew a circuit breaker overload etc
my local Makita dealer offered me the slower 2.6a.. that is what he uses when camping but obviously takes a lot longer to charge a battery not sure how people are getting away with using a cigarette lighter
Cheers Nick b

AnswerID: 641874

Follow Up By: Member - Cuppa - Wednesday, Oct 19, 2022 at 21:41

Wednesday, Oct 19, 2022 at 21:41
I charge 18v Makita batteries on a fast charger DC18RC using a Victron Phoenix 350w inverter. I found that the circuit breaker I had fitted would constantly trip, so fitted a higher amp one & all has been well since. If I remember correctly I had a 30amp CB, & the DC18RC would at times pull 32 or 33 amps for brief periods. I now have a 50amp CB in that circuit. I had fitted oversize cabling during the initial fit out so no qualms there.

I run this from a bank of 3 x 120Ah Ritar AGMs with no problem. First 3 lasted about 10 years.
I never run the engine to charge the Makitas, but wait until the AGM's have reached flot or are close to it & that the sun is shining.
See 'My Profile' (below) for link to our Aussie travel blog, now in it's 6th year.

FollowupID: 921239

Follow Up By: Member - Cuppa - Thursday, Oct 20, 2022 at 08:14

Thursday, Oct 20, 2022 at 08:14
EDIT: In case anyone is puzzled by the figures I have quoted above, you are not alone - so am I.
A 350w in inverter should at a nominal 12v be good for a max of a bit under 30Amps, at a more likely
13v a max of around 27amps and yet my previous battery monitor(NASA BM1) & it's replacement
(Victron 702) both showed a peak of 32-33 amps when charging the Makitas on the DC18RC
charger. And it tripped a quality Blueseas 30amp circuit breaker.

I put this down to the Victron Phoenix being underrated, not just capable of higher peak currents for
brief periods - but able to sustain higher than rated for long periods.
I have 'tested' it , running combined loads of 500w for an hour.

But that's not the puzzling part, I think it just shows that these toroidal inverters are high quality &
rated very conservatively.

What does puzzle me is that the DC18RC Makita fast charger is rated at 240w .(I assume this is max
wattage) which at a nominal 12v is only 20amps, (and at 13v a tad under 18.5 amps)
Drawing 32 amps (416w @ 13v) from an appliance rated at just 240w is quite a discrepancy

Am I missing something?
See 'My Profile' (below) for link to our Aussie travel blog, now in it's 6th year.

FollowupID: 921241

Follow Up By: Allan B (Sunshine Coast) - Thursday, Oct 20, 2022 at 09:12

Thursday, Oct 20, 2022 at 09:12
Hi Cuppa, Yes, you may be "missing something"..........
The product ratings you quote are just that........ nominal manufacturer product ratings. Nominal, don't expect them to be exactly what you see in actual use.
And the readings you see on your meters may not be "accurate". Now this gets a bit complicated to express in a few words, but due to the nature of inverters and chargers, the current flow is not exactly smooth DC but can be in short fast pulses (for want of a better description) and the current meters get fooled and will indicate an approximation which may not be what you expect.
That may explain your apparent discrepancies, or it may not! There are many mysteries in electronics!

However, if it works, then it works. Be happy. lol
Cheers
Allan

FollowupID: 921242

Follow Up By: Member - McLaren3030 - Thursday, Oct 20, 2022 at 09:15

Thursday, Oct 20, 2022 at 09:15
High Nick,

To answer your question regarding a cigarette lighter charger, Makita make a dedicated 12 volt input charger, the DC18SE, as in the attached photo. It takes around between 45 mins to an hour to charge a 5 AmpHr battery.

Macca.
Macca.

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 921243

Follow Up By: Allan B (Sunshine Coast) - Thursday, Oct 20, 2022 at 09:27

Thursday, Oct 20, 2022 at 09:27
Yes, and it's only 150 bucks!
Cheers
Allan

FollowupID: 921244

Follow Up By: Member - Cuppa - Thursday, Oct 20, 2022 at 10:58

Thursday, Oct 20, 2022 at 10:58
Allan B, I can understand both battery monitors possibly reading less than 'accurately;, but does the same explanation hold for why the 30 amp circuit breaker would consistently trip

FollowupID: 921245

Follow Up By: Allan B (Sunshine Coast) - Thursday, Oct 20, 2022 at 11:49

Thursday, Oct 20, 2022 at 11:49
Cuppa, the 30A rating of the circuit breaker is "nominal" and, due to manufacturing deviation, the breaker may have tripped at a lower current. Or maybe the RMS current was other than what your meter was showing. Or maybe something else. Conjecture is unreliable and I would not wish to make rash diagnosis unless I performed hands-on investigation myself. In general, a circuit breaker or fuse should not be operated at, or close to, its rating. A 20% overrating is reasonable. But the real point is that the breaker was tripping, and your replacing it with one of higher rating solved the problem. Does that not seem in accord with what I am saying?

In case you are wondering, the reference to "RMS current" above is an electrical engineering term which refers to the current waveform and is the energy or heating effect of the particular current. Often meters, in particular digital types, actually read the current based on 'average' or 'peak ' measurement which show a different value and can confuse. Digital meters operate by 'sampling' the measured value in a series of quick bites. An inverter, being a PWM device, has an input current which is not steady but is a series of pulses. A digital ammeter may see differing instantaneous values at each sample which can cause errors in the displayed reading. Some more expensive meters classed as 'True RMS' type overcome this problem.
Cheers
Allan

FollowupID: 921246

Follow Up By: Member - Cuppa - Thursday, Oct 20, 2022 at 13:25

Thursday, Oct 20, 2022 at 13:25
Allan, Thanks & yes, you are correct - I don't have a problem any more ..... just curiosity.

I understand the issue of obtaining 'averaged' readings when PWM is used as a means of current control but imagine that the limits of variation wouldn't be great?

The fly in the ointment as it were, in my situation wasn't, I think, primarily a meter reading 'inaccuracy' , but an appliance rated at 20 amps drawing circa 50% more than that. Sounds like Nick B Boab probably experienced the same, with the same model charger.

I note your point about 'nominal' manufacturer product ratings, but I had always been of the understanding that wattage ratings on appliances were the maximum the appliance might use. I just googled that & https://www.energy.gov confirms that the rating should be for maximum not 'nominal'.

I imagine most folk, like myself, would use the stated appliance wattage to be a useful guide to circuit breaker size, going up a size if the rating were close to the breakers rating for the reason you describe. Mostly in all the electrical installs I have done this has guided me well. In this instance however the issue seems to be a case of Makita providing a misleading wattage rating. Possibly 'nominal' as you suggest

I have found this interchange useful as it has led me to this understanding, but changes nothing of course, as I had already acted to resolve the problem I'd experienced. Just niggles me a bit that Makita, through their wattage rating clearly not being the maximum for that model charger, cost me a replacement breaker & the work involved in fitting it, following a 4 month trip where what should have worked just fine ....didn't.

FollowupID: 921248

Follow Up By: Allan B (Sunshine Coast) - Thursday, Oct 20, 2022 at 14:18

Thursday, Oct 20, 2022 at 14:18
"Nominal" in my usage meant what the circuit breaker manufacturer nominates as the maximum current carrying capacity. Consumer grade thermally actuated circuit breakers are notoriously unreliable in their operating rating. It is the nature of the beast. It is a piece of bi-metal heated by a current passing through it or through an adjacent resistance wire. Damned difficult to achieve repeatability in a simple manufacturing process. Don't expect too much from them. More often, manufacturers err on their safe side and allow a generous margin of reliability and accordingly they usually trip at a significant margin over the rating. But don't count on it. The ones marketed for the 12v consumer market are simple things after all.

The reference you posted from energy.gov relates to 240v consumer appliances load rating which is much easier to manufacture to spec. The reference to "maximum power" allows for appliances which may draw variable power for irregular reasons.... e.g. Low-Medium-High or different loads.

I have no explanation to offer for the apparent discrepancy of the Makita power rating. I could postulate a number of reasons but none would have value. Only physical testing with appropriate instruments may lead to an explanation. You will probably have to live with your frustration and be satisfied that you did achieve an acceptable result.

Sorry Wooly that your post has been hijacked! Hope it had some interest.
Cheers
Allan

FollowupID: 921249

Follow Up By: Allan B (Sunshine Coast) - Thursday, Oct 20, 2022 at 14:46

Thursday, Oct 20, 2022 at 14:46
Cuppa, perhaps I should have asked this earlier..... what instrument are you using to measure your currents?
Cheers
Allan

FollowupID: 921250

Follow Up By: Member - Cuppa - Thursday, Oct 20, 2022 at 16:44

Thursday, Oct 20, 2022 at 16:44
Allan, It was in one of my earlier posts.

At the time when I first began using the Makita charger I had a NASA BM1 Battery monitor

Now I have a Victron BMV 702 Battery monitor

Both showed the same current being used

FollowupID: 921251

Follow Up By: Allan B (Sunshine Coast) - Thursday, Oct 20, 2022 at 17:09

Thursday, Oct 20, 2022 at 17:09
Cuppa, Certainly the Victron BMV702 is a well respected product but I know nothing about the NASA BM1 other than Derek Bester of ABR offers it so it's probably reliable.

The fact that they both read the same current is significant although it is just possible that they could both be fooled in the same manner. Not saying that it is likely.... just possible. Anyway, at least you weren't using a cheapie DVM clamp meter from Super Cheap. Alas, I have no explanation to offer.
Cheers
Allan

FollowupID: 921252

Follow Up By: Member - Cuppa - Thursday, Oct 20, 2022 at 17:27

Thursday, Oct 20, 2022 at 17:27
Actually I'm surprised the NASA BM1 is still being sold. I have little doubt that the Victron product is superior, better cabling, & a higher rated shunt too. When I bought the NASA unit I organised a group buy, & brought in around a dozen units from the UK, I can't recall if they were just cheaper, or whether they weren't available in the Australia at the time. Compared to the few alternatives on the market back then they were far more affordable. I recall some costing $600+ back then!

However after a number of years bouncing around the outback the BM1 started to become unreliable & I didn't always trust what it was telling me any more, so around 2 years ago I replaced it with the Victron (Whose pricing was, I suspect, responsible for bring the market prices of battery monitors generally down to more affordable levels).

FollowupID: 921253

Follow Up By: Allan B (Sunshine Coast) - Thursday, Oct 20, 2022 at 17:38

Thursday, Oct 20, 2022 at 17:38
Since moving to the Sprinter, I have been haunting the American based Sprinter Forum and also grazing across the USA Sprinter build-up offerings. From them you might expect that there is no other available than Victron. These Yanks do not appear very adventurous! lol
Cheers
Allan

FollowupID: 921254

Follow Up By: Member - McLaren3030 - Friday, Oct 21, 2022 at 09:12

Friday, Oct 21, 2022 at 09:12
Hi Allan,

I think $150 is a lot cheaper than most 300 Watt Inverters.

Macca.
Macca.

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 921257

Follow Up By: Allan B (Sunshine Coast) - Friday, Oct 21, 2022 at 09:37

Friday, Oct 21, 2022 at 09:37
Yes Macca, but Nick wanted to use his existing installed inverter.
The suitable DC18SD charger sells for $50.
Cheers
Allan

FollowupID: 921259

Follow Up By: Member - Cuppa - Friday, Oct 21, 2022 at 09:43

Friday, Oct 21, 2022 at 09:43
Hi Macca, yep it is cheaper (especially if you add the cost of a 240v charger to the cost of the inverter).

However it really depends upon what you want. An inverter will run a Rapid Charger which will re-charge the Makita battery much quicker. Makita say that that their DC18SE 12v charger will charge a 3Ah 18v battery in 60 minutes. The Rapid charger will do the same in 1/3rd of that time.

An inverter also has other uses (I always like to have multiple uses for things I carry when travelling, at least as much as I can) . As well as powering the Makita battery charger my 350w Victron inverter gets regular use charging my laptop, my phone & my wife's iPad, plus camera batteries & stick mixer/blender thingo. Probably other things too occasionally. I know that some of these things can be powered from 12v, but having both 12v & 240v available does offer greater flexibility.

Both ways of charging Makita batteries will work, & both solutions offer different things.

'Ya pays ya money & takes ya choice' according to what fits best for you.

FollowupID: 921260

Follow Up By: Batt's - Saturday, Oct 22, 2022 at 09:08

Saturday, Oct 22, 2022 at 09:08
Heat can also cause the circuit breaker to trip while being used if it's mounted under the bonnet or in an alloy canopy that's not insulated.
FollowupID: 921280

Follow Up By: Allan B (Sunshine Coast) - Saturday, Oct 22, 2022 at 11:09

Saturday, Oct 22, 2022 at 11:09
Yes Batt's, ambient temperature is one of the influencers of thermal-type circuit breakers. It applies to fuses also. Which is why some allowance is incorporated in the rating of these devices. I would avoid under-bonnet applications of thermal-type circuit breakers.
Consumer grade circuit breakers are generally less reliable devices than fuses, but do have the convenience of serving as manual isolators as well as current limitation.
In industrial applications where accurate current limitation is required, more sophisticated devices are employed.
Cheers
Allan

FollowupID: 921281

Follow Up By: Member - Cuppa - Saturday, Oct 22, 2022 at 14:13

Saturday, Oct 22, 2022 at 14:13
Allan, your reply to Batts led me to reminding myself as to what type of circuit breakers I fitted to protect the circuits in the aluminium canopy on our car (It was a number of years ago I set it up & couldn't be certain - only that they were made by Blueseas). They are Magnetic Hydraulic breakers which I believe are more accurate/reliable than thermal types? I use them as switches, only turning on circuits when needed.

FollowupID: 921282

Follow Up By: Allan B (Sunshine Coast) - Saturday, Oct 22, 2022 at 16:00

Saturday, Oct 22, 2022 at 16:00
Hi Cuppa,

Yes, magnetic-type circuit breakers are not as affected by ambient temperature are thermal type. The "hydraulic" refers to a damping mechanism to avoid nuisance tripping due to brief overcurrents. Blue Seas are good products. Thermal breakers achieve damping inherently.

Both circuit breakers and fuses achieve current limitation in cases of dramatic short-circuit. However circuit breakers are more appropriately employed where overloads, typically caused by excessive electrical or mechanical burdens, may need to be interrupted yet conveniently reset to continue operation. Fuses do not offer this convenience.
And of course breakers can also function as combination overcurrent and switching devices. However, using them as primarily switches is expensive. Suitable switches are available at lower cost.
Cheers
Allan

FollowupID: 921284

Follow Up By: Member - Cuppa - Saturday, Oct 22, 2022 at 16:27

Saturday, Oct 22, 2022 at 16:27
Yes, expensive if just for switching, but if they have the switching ability & all the breakers are in the same place it makes for easy use. I do have a couple of light switches for individual lights in different places, but leave the most used one switched on & just turn the circuit on/off most of the time, occasionally flicking another switch if more light is needed.

FollowupID: 921285

Follow Up By: Allan B (Sunshine Coast) - Saturday, Oct 22, 2022 at 16:37

Saturday, Oct 22, 2022 at 16:37
Sorry Cuppa, I didn't mean to be critical of your using CB's as switches. In fact I have done the same for reason of uniformity on the panel. I did however use a rotary/cam type 200A isolator switch for my main 12v switch which has a removable knob. I don't want the inquisitive apprentice fiddling with my system when the vehicle goes for service. Not LOL!
Cheers
Allan

FollowupID: 921286

Follow Up By: Member - Cuppa - Saturday, Oct 22, 2022 at 17:22

Saturday, Oct 22, 2022 at 17:22
Allan, the written word can be a funny thing, I didn't for a moment perceive you as having been critical, so no apology needed. I like the thinking about the removeable knob. Wish I'd thought of that when I was building ours.

FollowupID: 921290

Follow Up By: Peter_n_Margaret - Saturday, Oct 22, 2022 at 18:01

Saturday, Oct 22, 2022 at 18:01
18 years ago, I used 240VAC circuit breakers to protect the 12VDC wiring in the OKA.
If you read the fine print, 240VAC CBs are rated to 48V DC, they have top quality silver contacts (so arcing is unlikely to be an issue) and they cost under $10 up to about 60A. They are also available from the local hardware store.
They do take longer (x root 2) to break at overload compared with AC.
At the time, it was difficult to assess the quality of DC CBs (still is),, but there are pretty good standards applying to the high volume AC stuff.
I use them as occasional switches on stuff like pumps for isolation purposes, but do try to avoid switching under load.
Cheers,
Peter
OKA196 motorhome
FollowupID: 921292

Reply By: Member - nickb boab - Friday, Oct 21, 2022 at 10:56

Friday, Oct 21, 2022 at 10:56
Omg.. finally got to the bottom of this thread haha :)))
so I have tried mine again with the 9 amp rapid charger 5ah battery plugged into an outside Anderson plug . after a short period the charger started flashing red and green lights with a beeping sound [not happy ?? ] ..so then I plug it into a different plug inside the box on my ute and its working fine so my conclusion is that there is something not right with the outside plug probably bad connection dirty or something , both have 40a conventional fuses . The battery on the car is a century deep cycle wet cell 100ah with the car running during this testing holding 14.2 v.
Cheers Nick b

AnswerID: 641886

Follow Up By: Peter_n_Margaret - Friday, Oct 21, 2022 at 13:04

Friday, Oct 21, 2022 at 13:04
"With the car running during this testing holding 14.2V" is the alternator voltage and tells you nothing about the battery.
Cheers,
Peter
OKA196 motorhome
FollowupID: 921266

Follow Up By: Member - McLaren3030 - Friday, Oct 21, 2022 at 16:44

Friday, Oct 21, 2022 at 16:44
Nick, the fault lights on the Makita Battery Chargers can be caused by a number of different conditions. One is that the battery is too hot, another is that the battery charger is too hot, and another is low input voltage. Not saying that this is the issue in the case you have described, just that these are some of the reasons for the fault lights.

Macca.
Macca.

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 921272

Follow Up By: Member - nickb boab - Saturday, Oct 22, 2022 at 06:48

Saturday, Oct 22, 2022 at 06:48
Macca : it was my guess that the voltage was to low from a bad anderson connection & the other possibility weren't in play imo . Cheers

Peter : not sure what you mean ?
Cheers Nick b

FollowupID: 921278

Reply By: Phil G - Tuesday, Oct 25, 2022 at 20:28

Tuesday, Oct 25, 2022 at 20:28
I've got the same Makita 240watt fast charger and it runs fine from a 300W modified sine wave inverter provided the cables to the inverter are thick and short. I found the inverter would alarm because of low voltage with 6mm auto cable. Works fine with a metre of 8B&S twin.
I've measured 22A while charging.
AnswerID: 641917

Sponsored Links