2.2 Honda run time on a tank of fuel?

Submitted: Thursday, Oct 20, 2022 at 08:33
ThreadID: 144960 Views:3511 Replies:5 FollowUps:4
This Thread has been Archived
If you are running an A/C in the van, camper etc all night how long will the Honda 2.2 run on a tank of fuel. It will probably depend to a certain degree on your A/C . I'm just after an idea, do you have to get up in the early hours and in the morning and refuel. Years ago we bought a Yamaha 2.8 because of the big tank capacity but it's almost a 2 person job to handle it now.
Thanks
Joe.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - McLaren3030 - Thursday, Oct 20, 2022 at 09:00

Thursday, Oct 20, 2022 at 09:00
Hi Joe,

An interesting question, but there really isn’t a definitive answer as there are a lot a variables that will influence how long the generator will run. The following are my thoughts, but the list may not be all encompassing.

Firstly, if you are in a campground, most will have a time limit on when you can run your generator, and how long for. Of course if bush camping on your own, this does not come into the equation.

Secondly, the ambient conditions. In high temperature, high humidity, the Airconn will cycle much more so your generator will be at high revs for a lot longer.

Thirdly, the current draw of your Airconn when cycling. Some will draw in excess of 2,000 Watts, some only 1,800 Watts.

If you look at the specs for the generator, they will generally give you a “runtime” in both economy mode, and maximum load. As for powering an Airconn, you should probably be looking at the generator running at maximum load for the majority of the time.

Macca.
Macca.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 641877

Follow Up By: Richard M29 - Thursday, Oct 20, 2022 at 18:36

Thursday, Oct 20, 2022 at 18:36
Strangely, My 1kw invertor genny, should not run my 1.7kw Invertor window aircond in my house. But in 2019, it did just that and it ran it for 6 hours a night for average 4 nites a week over summer at 22 C, due to 6 weeks of no power due to fires. During the day, we just used fans, and the genny ran both a fridge and separate freezer during the day ( both Invertor controlled), for 12 hours ( 2 tanks of fuel a day). It is an Hyundai Invertor Generator. I was very surprised that the genny did all that work, being just a 1KW unit.
FollowupID: 921255

Follow Up By: Allan B (Sunshine Coast) - Thursday, Oct 20, 2022 at 20:45

Thursday, Oct 20, 2022 at 20:45
Richard, I think you will find that the 1.7kW rating of your aircon relates to its cooling capacity, not to its electrical power consumption.
Cheers
Allan

My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 921256

Follow Up By: Dusta - Friday, Oct 21, 2022 at 19:31

Friday, Oct 21, 2022 at 19:31
how long is a piece of string ?
FollowupID: 921275

Reply By: Member - Wildmax - Monday, Oct 24, 2022 at 16:42

Monday, Oct 24, 2022 at 16:42
Never heard of anyone running a generator all night - certainly would want to ensure that there was no-one within at least 100 metres
Wildmax
2018 Hilux and Black Wolf 210 tent - for the outback tracks less travelled
Formerly an AOR Eclipse and a TVan

My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 641908

Reply By: Joe G2 - Tuesday, Oct 25, 2022 at 07:21

Tuesday, Oct 25, 2022 at 07:21
For Wildmax.
You have obviously never camped in northern Australia during summer which we do for work reasons and sometimes recreationally when fishing. We have run generators all night for years when it can be 30 degrees + and high humidity. In summer we have never had a problem finding somewhere with very few or no one else camping close, and in those weather conditions they will be most likely be running a generator also. I only asked the original question as I was thinking about the Honda 2.2 as the next generator purchase.

You just assumed you knew how, when and where we use a generator without knowing any facts.

For Dusta.
Can't be bothered.
AnswerID: 641911

Follow Up By: Member - Wildmax - Tuesday, Oct 25, 2022 at 10:09

Tuesday, Oct 25, 2022 at 10:09
You're quite right, I did make some wrong assumptions :-(

I certainly have camped in northern Australia for extended periods; we travel around 4 months each year, and have done so for many years. But not up north in the wet season (though the whole country now seems to have a permanent wet season).

I use a generator sparingly so as not to annoy my neighbours, and generally get by with solar for both camper and ute, but I do acknowledge that the sort of usage you describe means you'd have no option; and certainly on a work site it is a whole different story.

My bad !!
Wildmax
2018 Hilux and Black Wolf 210 tent - for the outback tracks less travelled
Formerly an AOR Eclipse and a TVan

My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 921320

Reply By: Bob Y. - Qld - Tuesday, Oct 25, 2022 at 13:39

Tuesday, Oct 25, 2022 at 13:39
I went to buy a Honda 2.2 late last year, but availability looked gloomy, so purchased a Westinghouse 2500 instead. Not what I wanted but did save $500 over the Honda.
On a trip to the Gibb, we needed to run the genny at night, and on one occasion, ran it all night, well to about 4am anyway.. Weren’t using an aircon, and think I may have topped up the fuel tank before we went to bed, but would have got around 12 hours use. No doubt using an aircon would decrease run time by 30-50%?

Bob

Seen it all, Done it all.
Can't remember most of it.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 641913

Reply By: Member -Dodger - Monday, Oct 31, 2022 at 11:58

Monday, Oct 31, 2022 at 11:58
My 2.2 Honda Runs our IBIS 3 for around 4 1/2 hrs at 40c during daylight. So I suggest that you top your genny up just before you go to bed.
I used to have a handle on life, but it broke.

Cheers Dodg.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 641961

Sponsored Links