Lake Eyre Access

Submitted: Tuesday, May 09, 2023 at 19:55
ThreadID: 145625 Views:1303 Replies:1 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
I've noticed recently on the SA Desert Parks page that both the Halligan's Bay and Level Post Bay access tracks have been "Closed For Pub­lic Safe­ty, by order of the Pas­toral Board of South Aus­tralia".

I've known that there has been access issues at Level Post Bay for some years. Does this mean the long term closure of Halligan's Bay too or is it temporary due to rain? A few weeks ago it appeared possible to book a campsite but now the calendar is unresponsive.

Is this another example of the reduction of access to national parks we have seen over the years. I hope not. I was planning to visit last year but wet tracks at the time prevented it. Maybe I have lost the opportunity.

I am keen to hear from someone that knows what is going on.

Back Expand Un-Read 1 Moderator

Reply By: Peter J4 - Wednesday, May 10, 2023 at 06:57

Wednesday, May 10, 2023 at 06:57
There has been a lot of rain through the area this year so I would suspect that the track is badly eroded in spots and could even be still very wet.
They usually grade them in late May early June before the peak season for travellers.
If its too wet then they will remain closed.
AnswerID: 643519

Follow Up By: Truedogz - Wednesday, May 10, 2023 at 18:53

Wednesday, May 10, 2023 at 18:53
Thanks Peter. I was hoping it is only temporary. Over the years I have see too many places temporarilly closed which never openned again.
FollowupID: 923197

Sponsored Links