Great Ocean Road - Port Campbell Section

Submitted: Sunday, Jun 11, 2023 at 10:24
ThreadID: 145746 Views:1231 Replies:4 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
Hi everyone - here is a photographic slide show of one of Victoria's premier tourist attractions - 12 Apostles (now short of a few) the Gibson Steps and Beach , Loch Aud Gorge and the Razorback. All taken in our return journey back to WA in March. Often the weather isn't favourable for good photography along the GOR however we lucked it in this occasion (fog shifted and the sun appeared).

Happy travels
Kendra and Mike

Great Ocean Road
Back Expand Un-Read 3 Moderator

Reply By: GarryR - Sunday, Jun 11, 2023 at 11:31

Sunday, Jun 11, 2023 at 11:31
great shots, and love the work you do. The effort you put in is enormous, but it also allows those that cannot get to some of the destinations a birds eye view of the fabulous countryside that Australia offers. Keep up the great work, and I am waiting for the next.
Cheers GarryR and Judy
location - Warragul -Victoria
life is too short, so out and about enjoy

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 643822

Reply By: Mike & Kendra Cruisn1 - Sunday, Jun 11, 2023 at 11:37

Sunday, Jun 11, 2023 at 11:37
Thanks guys for the great feedback - I enjoy making the videos from our travels . I try to make them informative as that’s what we look for when we are looking for camping ideas. Cheers Mike and Kendra
AnswerID: 643823

Reply By: JOHN C36 - Monday, Jun 12, 2023 at 21:41

Monday, Jun 12, 2023 at 21:41
If you visit Gibson Steps at low tide it is possible to go down the steps, turn right, walk to the cliffs at the far end of the beach and find the tunnel that leads to the much photographed 12 Apostle beach. The entrance to the tunnel can be hard to find. Part way down the tunnel there is an unusual tilting gate. Lift the gate, crawl underneath and go to the end of the tunnel. Walking on the beach with the Apostles rearing up above you is truly spectacular. The unusual gate is to keep animals out because there is a Fairy Penguin colony on the beach.

The tunnel used to be open to the public. I went through it several times in the 80’s. Unfortunately on my visits since then the gate has always been locked.

The Gibson Steps beach is still a great walk and it is enjoyable to find the tunnel entrance. There are probably too many tourists today to allow access. In the 80’s it was possible to walk the 12 Apostle beach by yourself.

Cheers,
John
AnswerID: 643836

Follow Up By: Mike & Kendra Cruisn1 - Tuesday, Jun 13, 2023 at 10:33

Tuesday, Jun 13, 2023 at 10:33
Hi John , thanks for the info. The tunnel sounds really interesting and will have a look out for it next visit (Jan 2024). The crowds were insane - so many people. Had to use my zoom to get pics without people in them. Also the parking was a bit of a nightmare with a van in tow. Found a track nearby to the major carpark and parked there.
Since last visit a few more formations have disappeared!
Cheers Mike
FollowupID: 923661

Reply By: blue one - Monday, Jun 26, 2023 at 18:11

Monday, Jun 26, 2023 at 18:11
I have surfed down there usually at a place called Dean's steps.
It it was just out of Pt Campbell past the first bridge on the road back to Gibbos.
To get there you would walk down a cutting to a hole in the cliff.
From there was a tunnel that met with a iron ladder onto the pebble beach.
Use to break left and right. Parks deemed it hazardous and blew it up.

Might go and have a look and see if it is passable.

It was a great break.
AnswerID: 643977

Sponsored Links