Lightning Ridge - via Walgett

Submitted: Monday, Jun 12, 2023 at 20:47
ThreadID: 145755 Views:2247 Replies:8 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
Hi Campers,
I am planning a trip to Lightning Ridge via Walgett. I have heard a rumour that the road is pretty terrible, very bumpy. I have been travelling around Aussie (19000kms since Feb) and have driven some pretty awful roads (to Innaminka and the Robinvale-Sealake Road). Does anyone have recent experience out there?
TIA.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Roger K (NSW) - Monday, Jun 12, 2023 at 21:43

Monday, Jun 12, 2023 at 21:43
It is part of the Castlereagh Highway, and bitumen all the way to Lightning Ridge (and well beyond). From memory, the posted speed limit is 110 which gives you a good idea about the quality of the road. However, if you intend using other unsealed roads for that leg of your journey it will be a different story and (hopefully) others might be able to offer more appropriate advice in that regard.

I hope this helps.
AnswerID: 643837

Reply By: Member - Mark (Tamworth NSW) - Tuesday, Jun 13, 2023 at 12:33

Tuesday, Jun 13, 2023 at 12:33
School buses travel it every weekday day! It may appear atrocious to those who consider anything less than M1 standard. I haven't been on it for 12 months, it will have some flood damage which will require you to slow down but still school buses travel it every week day along with hundreds of Victorian caravaners each week.
AnswerID: 643844

Reply By: Rob J8 - Tuesday, Jun 13, 2023 at 18:00

Tuesday, Jun 13, 2023 at 18:00
We came through that way on our way to Townsville and further up into FNQ, in May. It's rough in patches but so are a lot of roads in NSW and QLD.
AnswerID: 643845

Reply By: Nomadic Navara - Tuesday, Jun 13, 2023 at 22:12

Tuesday, Jun 13, 2023 at 22:12
The road is in black soil country. The earth under the road thus moves a little. You will see the same thing throughout Queensland where the roads develop a rollercoaster nature. They are quite OK to travel on if you do not expect to travel at 110 km/h like a lot of other outback roads. The city folk that talk them down are the ones that expect freeway type roads in the outback. If you expect first quality roads to travel on then do not travel in much of outback NSW and Qld. The public purse can not afford perfect roads in those areas.

Keep alert when travelling that road, slow down where necessary and you can have an enjoyable trip.

PeterD
Retired radio and electronics technician

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 643847

Follow Up By: Rob J8 - Wednesday, Jun 14, 2023 at 18:24

Wednesday, Jun 14, 2023 at 18:24
I know a bit about roads, Peter. I grew up in the wheatbelt of Western Australia. The last 100kms or so from Perth to our place was red clay. The public purse will only ever be opened to populated areas where there is political gain. I travelled from Busselton, across to Port Augusta, Broken Hill, Cobar, down to Wagga, up to Dubbo, Lighning Ridge, St George, Roma, Emerald, Clermont , Mackay, Townsville. Mate the roads are pretty rough after you get into NSW and QLD. left Northam 6th May 2023 and Currently at Babinda FNQ.
FollowupID: 923678

Reply By: Member -Dodger - Wednesday, Jun 14, 2023 at 11:02

Wednesday, Jun 14, 2023 at 11:02
We have travelled that road numerous times and from Gilgandra to the border at Hebel it is sealed all the way but has rough patches in many places . When towing our van over that road I reduce speed to 85 kph as there are many places where those wishing to go hard can pass and on the good sections I tow at 95 kph to suite the engine and fuel tank. You may find that at times you may even have to go slower due to road conditions.
I used to have a handle on life, but it broke.

Cheers Dodg.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 643848

Reply By: Trek'n_Teach - Wednesday, Jun 14, 2023 at 17:14

Wednesday, Jun 14, 2023 at 17:14
Thanks All for your replies,
As usual, helpful and insightful. As I suspected, some people have their expectations set too high when it comes to outback roads. Drive to the conditions and always take care. Looking forward to exploring another great part of this wonderful country.
On Our Big Lap. Anti-clockwise from Perth. Day 120. 14,700 kms in ......
Thanks Again.
AnswerID: 643850

Reply By: Stephen L (Clare) SA - Friday, Jun 16, 2023 at 08:05

Friday, Jun 16, 2023 at 08:05
It’s a major bitumen highway, not the Anne Beadell Highway, what more do you expect.
Smile like a Crocodile

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 643871

Reply By: Member - William B - Saturday, Jun 17, 2023 at 15:48

Saturday, Jun 17, 2023 at 15:48
I travelled that road a year ago. (Between Walget and Lightning ridge)
Sections of the road had a speed restriction of 40kph from memory because of the damage to the road caused by all the water at the time.
I was towing a caravan with my Triton.
William
Always planning the next trip. VKS-737 mobile 1619

My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 643890

Sponsored Links