Cocklebiddy to Rawlinna to Kalgoorlie

Submitted: Wednesday, Jun 14, 2023 at 16:33
ThreadID: 145764 Views:1798 Replies:8 FollowUps:3
This Thread has been Archived
Just wondering if anyone has recently travelled this route? I hope to do so at the end of November 2023, towing a 15’ off-road caravan.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Stephen L (Clare) SA - Wednesday, Jun 14, 2023 at 17:11

Wednesday, Jun 14, 2023 at 17:11
Very slow going over limestone covered track to Rawlinna, but from there through to Kalgoorlie is a super, wide road and a great surface, with great camping along the way.
Smile like a Crocodile

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 643849

Follow Up By: Stephen L (Clare) SA - Thursday, Jun 15, 2023 at 14:23

Thursday, Jun 15, 2023 at 14:23
Will did out some photos to show you what to expect.
Smile like a Crocodile

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 923685

Reply By: Bob Y. - Qld - Thursday, Jun 15, 2023 at 05:40

Thursday, Jun 15, 2023 at 05:40
Stephen describes the condition of the track well. It is quite slow for much of the way to Rawlinna.
In 2018, we left Cocklebiddy early afternoon, and didn’t get to Rawlinna till after dark, not towing. Lucky enough to see the Indian-Pacific, stopped there while the passengers were entertained & fed.

Bob

Seen it all, Done it all.
Can't remember most of it.

Lifetime Member

AnswerID: 643854

Reply By: Member - Julie E - Thursday, Jun 15, 2023 at 14:53

Thursday, Jun 15, 2023 at 14:53
I understand that there is a lot of mining activity around that area, stations being sold etc… That could mean that access has changed. There may be a bonus in that the road may be in better shape. I’ll give the roadhouse a call closer to the time. Either way, time is my friend so an adventure is pending ????
AnswerID: 643859

Reply By: Member - wicket - Thursday, Jun 15, 2023 at 15:36

Thursday, Jun 15, 2023 at 15:36
According to the Hema map most of that track C-R is MVO.
AnswerID: 643860

Reply By: Stephen L (Clare) SA - Thursday, Jun 15, 2023 at 16:35

Thursday, Jun 15, 2023 at 16:35
Hi Again Julie

These may give you a better idea of track conditions and show you what to expect re track conditions.

As for a reply above regarding stations being sold and mining activates, Rawlinna Station is part of the Jumbuck Pastoral Company that is managed here in South Australia and dealing first hand with the company, they never sell any of their assets, rather they buy up.

Yes there is mining activities closer to Kalgoorlie, but not around Rawlinna.
We spoke to the Cocklebiddy Roadhouse before leaving and the advise was keep heading north, but when you get to the Dingo Gate and fence, do not follow the track to the right, but actually open the gate and then keep following it and you will not get lost.

Track conditions were very slow and was not a race, rather slow and steady and watch out for the limestone rocks. After leaving the Dog Fence Gate track conditions greatly improved and to keep you on track, there were large signs welded to the side of the many gates, with direction markers which were very clear and concise.

As you enter the main Trans Access Road, you will be a few kilometres actually west of the Rawlinna Siding, so its a matter of turning right to see what Rawlinna Siding is like. The main road now, all the way to Kalgoorlie and managed with the railways, it is super wide and in very good condition. The only time this road is closed is in times of heavy rainfall to stop any damage on the great road.

But before you start, seek local advise first to the most up to date conitions.

Now for these photos that will give you a far better idea of actual conditions.

Safe Travels.

Smile like a Crocodile

Lifetime Member

AnswerID: 643861

Reply By: Member - Julie E - Thursday, Jun 15, 2023 at 16:59

Thursday, Jun 15, 2023 at 16:59
Thank you so much Stephen.
Your information is fantastic and the pics will be a good reference.

I've just received confirmation from the Dundas Shire that I can travel the road and the fellow warned me that the Cocklebiddy end which is managed by that Shire, has not been graded for a few years. He couldn't comment on the rest of the road. I'll just poke along. I'm not in a hurry.

My reference to mining is to do with a proposed purchase by AndrewForrest. I think he is looking at property north of the railway line.

In regard to the station owners/managers, do you know if I need to contact them know that I will be travelling through?

Thanks again for your information. Hugely appreciated :)
AnswerID: 643862

Follow Up By: Stephen L (Clare) SA - Thursday, Jun 15, 2023 at 17:36

Thursday, Jun 15, 2023 at 17:36
Bugger something happened to my reply…

Now to answer a couple more of your questions.

The section of road that the shire is referring to at the very bottom is the section of track that goes directly opposite the roadhouse to Arubiddy Station. That section is wide and good, but the moment you leave the station, it is a 2 wheel track the rest of the way, just make sure you go through the Dingo Fence Gate.

There is no need to contact Rawlinna Station, that’s why they put the direction signs up to make sure travellers do not deviate from the main track.

Another important thing to remember, this is very remote country. Make sure you carry at a bare minimum a PLB and a satellite phone if you can. The moment you hit Rawlinna, you have 100% Telstra phone reception all the way through to Kalgoorlie.

Safe Travels.
Smile like a Crocodile

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 923687

Reply By: Member - Julie E - Thursday, Jun 15, 2023 at 17:31

Thursday, Jun 15, 2023 at 17:31
Thank again.
I’m have a farming background and know the gate rules well. Only issue with this trip: I will be the gate opener ????
No false hopes, as I said, I’ll just poke along. It will do my soul good ??
AnswerID: 643864

Follow Up By: Stephen L (Clare) SA - Thursday, Jun 15, 2023 at 17:41

Thursday, Jun 15, 2023 at 17:41
We love remote country and actually camped along the track.

The solitude was unreal with complete 360 degree views and watching the sun go down was unreal.
Smile like a Crocodile

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 923688

Reply By: John Baas - Sunday, Jun 18, 2023 at 00:34

Sunday, Jun 18, 2023 at 00:34
Hi Julie. I have traveled this route five times, in either direction.

If it has been wet it can be very gluggy. Otherwise your main problem might be tyre issues; the limestone being plentiful, hard, and sharp.

Good luck. Cheers. JB.
AnswerID: 643894

Sponsored Links