Mounting a flexible <span class="highlight">solar</span> panel

Submitted: Friday, Jun 16, 2023 at 14:56
ThreadID: 145770 Views:3536 Replies:10 FollowUps:10
This Thread has been Archived
Hi folks : wondering what is the correct way to mount a flexible solar panel on top of a alloy hard shell roof top tent ..is it best to attach it flat to the surface or should it have a frame and an air Gap under the solar panel
The other question I had if anyone had a recommended seller for flexible solar panels on eBay that they can recommend , an is there any different type of flexible solar panels . Cheers
Cheers Nick b

My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - LeighW - Friday, Jun 16, 2023 at 15:14

Friday, Jun 16, 2023 at 15:14
There are a few different types of flexibles, most can be divided into two types, cheap and expensive. As your looking at Ebay you'll be looking at the cheap ones. Cheap ones are notorious for failing. Expensive ones mounted correctly are more reliable.

Mounting, double sided tape applied to corflute polycarbonate strips to space of the roof. Do not glue directly to roof as expansion and heat will kill the panel/s and you'll most likely damage the roof trying to get them off.

See power4rvs site.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 643875

Follow Up By: Member - silkwood - Saturday, Jun 17, 2023 at 11:52

Saturday, Jun 17, 2023 at 11:52
Agreed. Corflute (mounted perpendicular to travel direction) and silicone sealing the leading edge (not the Corflute openings) to minimise chance of wind lifting panel...

Worked well for me.

Cheers,

Mark
FollowupID: 923714

Reply By: Peter_n_Margaret - Friday, Jun 16, 2023 at 17:35

Friday, Jun 16, 2023 at 17:35
Good advice here and good quality panels.
https://www.solar4rvs.com.au/buying/buyer-guides/flexible-solar-panel-mounting-instruction-guide/
For our new build I will be buying from here and mounting them directly to the roof in accordance with the above instructions.
Mounting directly to the roof without an air gap will reduce the performance by about 9%, I understand. I am prepared to suffer that reduction in order to keep the panels as low as possible (and protected from trees as well possible) and to avoid filling the gap with leaves, twigs and dirt.
Cheers,
Peter
OKA196 motorhome
AnswerID: 643878

Follow Up By: AlbyNSW - Saturday, Jun 17, 2023 at 07:50

Saturday, Jun 17, 2023 at 07:50
I am looking to do the same and happy to forgo the small reduction in efficiency for the benefits

I have bought the cheap flexible panels from ebay before and they don’t last
FollowupID: 923707

Follow Up By: Member - nickb aka"boab" - Monday, Jun 19, 2023 at 09:24

Monday, Jun 19, 2023 at 09:24
Peter and others : Are you concerned at all on the long Jeopardy of the flexible panel and not having an air Gap are you likely to get overheating and burnout of the panel .
regards Phil's comment and some I have seen on YouTube do these concerns/comments holdup ??
Cheers Nick b

FollowupID: 923734

Reply By: Member - Racey - Saturday, Jun 17, 2023 at 09:46

Saturday, Jun 17, 2023 at 09:46
Hi, I have panels from Solar4RV and chose to use the air gap method. The air gap strips supplied by Solar4RV are about 10mm high, so are still very low profile. I believe they also provide a little more flexibility in mounting.

Cheers
Racey
AnswerID: 643885

Follow Up By: Member - LeighW - Saturday, Jun 17, 2023 at 12:02

Saturday, Jun 17, 2023 at 12:02
Yep I did similar but I used 20mm spacers under the panels. I then edged the sides of the panels with sail track that was mounted using 10mm spacers with the holes pointing out. All edges of the panels are located in the sail track slot which allows the panels to expand and contact while still supporting the edge of the panel to prevent lifting. The holes in the edging prevent twigs and leaves getting under the panels while still allowing free air flow between the panels and the roof.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 923715

Reply By: Member - nickb aka"boab" - Sunday, Jun 18, 2023 at 12:14

Sunday, Jun 18, 2023 at 12:14
Thanks everyone for your tips and tricks on mounting flexible solar panel.
personally I have not had any problems purchasing panels regarding quality from eBay in the pass "but i would steer clear of cheap stuff " but they have been the glass type still got one now on the ute that's been there for quite some time cheers nick .
Cheers Nick b

AnswerID: 643895

Reply By: Phil G - Sunday, Jun 18, 2023 at 19:52

Sunday, Jun 18, 2023 at 19:52
Sorry to be a bit late on this Nick,
But my experience to date with flexible solar panels:

2016 - single 100W plastic backed panel failed within 6 months - used only as a portable panel (never mounted) but the Kimberley heat killed it - got zero output.

2019 -- purchased 4 x 120W aluminium backed flexible panels from a well rated Ebay seller - Currently, one panel has died and gone into the rubbish. Two other panels have been on the roof of the Troopy with a 20mm full air gap and they are only delivering half of what they delivered when new (Now down to 2.5A short circuit current). The last panel has been carried as a portable panel, never mounted and delivers 3.5A SSC (down from 4.8A when new).

And I look after solar installations for mates. One has a top end hybrid van (currently sells for $140k) and it came with 3 x 100W flexible panels glued to the fibreglass roof. They lasted less than a year before all 3 had died.
2 years later they were replaced under warranty with 3 more which also died.
2 years later they were low on output so I investigated - one panel had zero output; the second panel had zero output due to loose screws under the diode cover. third panel was still performing. He's had a gutful, so I removed the 3 flex panels and found heat damage and cracking of his fibreglass roof. It cost him $2000 to repair the fibreglass roof. I have installed 2 x 200W glass panels and he is over the moon.
Incidentally the last set of flexible panels came from a seller named above who only sells quality panels - the cells were genuine Sunpower cells. But like all the others, they don't like the heat.

I only use glass panels now. Take the weight penalty - a single glass panel with air gap will keep putting out good output for years to come.
AnswerID: 643900

Follow Up By: Phil G - Sunday, Jun 18, 2023 at 19:55

Sunday, Jun 18, 2023 at 19:55
Here's a photo of my mate's failed (cracked) flexible panels. Others have failed without any visible indication.
FollowupID: 923729

Follow Up By: Member - nickb aka"boab" - Monday, Jun 19, 2023 at 05:58

Monday, Jun 19, 2023 at 05:58
Thanks Phil for your feedback ..we'll see if there is any comments regarding your post on long Jeopardy of flexible panels .
Don't be fooled by eBay's well rated sellers .was researching some flexible panels and noticed at least three of the seller's with different names taking up most of the 1st page and almost identical ads details were very sketchy at the best and as we know if it sounds too good to be true it ....
I did find a few good sounding ads with brand names and a lot better believable description .
Cheers Nick b

FollowupID: 923730

Follow Up By: Phil G - Monday, Jun 19, 2023 at 08:58

Monday, Jun 19, 2023 at 08:58
Yes, I agree with you regarding Ebay - which is why I used the term "well rated".
But there are some good companies on EBay - I buy a lot of stuff for 12V and Solar installations from Springers Solar via their Ebay shop.
But flexible panels do not last like glass.
I use flexible panels on my Troopy's roof because of height - it wouldn't fit in the garage if I used glass. My TVan and my caravan both have glass, and the hybrid caravan maker I alluded to now no longer uses flexible - too many warranty claims I suspect.
FollowupID: 923731

Follow Up By: Phil G - Monday, Jun 19, 2023 at 09:05

Monday, Jun 19, 2023 at 09:05
But I have also had to replace a glass panel on a 6 year old caravan - it overheated because the caravan manufacturer mounted it with no air gap - actually siliconed it to the roof as well as using 4 brackets. The glass panel was discoloured and had arced at several hot spots. It had a low voltage and so no output.
FollowupID: 923733

Reply By: Allan B (Sunshine Coast) - Monday, Jun 19, 2023 at 10:44

Monday, Jun 19, 2023 at 10:44
I do wonder about the effectiveness of mounting thin solar panels by means of "Corflute".
Corflute is a polypropylene product with a corrugated core, available in a thickness range of 1.9 to 10.5mm although most readily available in 3mm and mostly used for manufacturing signs.
Or are people actually referring to twin-wall polycarbonate (Sunlite) which is 10mm thick with vertical separation walls at 10mm spacing? "Leigh refers to "corflute polycarbonate"…. a foot in both product descriptions.
In either case, these products provide a rather small aperture to permit air movement when the panel is mounted horizontally. In order to obtain air movement there needs to be a path with a clear inlet and outlet. If the vehicle is moving forward with the apertures aligned to the movement direction then air is forced through through the apertures but when the vehicle is stationary little or no air will move through as that path needs to have an adequate slope away from the horizontal plane for thermal convection to operate.
It seems to me that Peter's resolve to mount directly to the roof may be just as effective as mounting on twin-walled medium. I do wonder if reliable testing has occurred or is this twin-wall interface an unproven perception?
Cheers
Allan

My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 643902

Follow Up By: Member - LeighW - Monday, Jun 19, 2023 at 11:45

Monday, Jun 19, 2023 at 11:45
Allan,

I used the "Corflute" as most know what that looks like, the actual product to use is as you suggest twin wall ploycarbonate as it has similar expansion rate to the panels.

The mounting of the panels is very important to prevent panel failure due to expansion and contract, many complain the panels didn't last long but then they also indicate they didn't mount them as advised but used their own system. Placement of the support strips is important as well as the direction they are placed. The length of the strips is also important, if they are to long they will expand to much and stress the panel.

The reason you mount them on the strips is the construction of the strips has some "give" in it which allows them to distort somewhat as the panels expand and contract preventing stressing of the panels. Same for the double sided tape used to mount the strips, it has a flexible foam core which again allows for some movement expansion and contraction without stressing the panels . The original mounting medium used was a butly putting type high bond adhesive which again allowed for some movement. Up above it was suggested to use a silicon type adhesive to bound the panels to the roof, as long as thickness and height of the bed is used is tightly controlled and applied at sufficient spacing to allow the panels and the roof they are mounted to to expand at different rates and not stress the panels then that should work ok too. But again care needs to be taken not to form a sealed areas under the panles with the adhesive that can allow a pressure bubble to form under the panel which will stress it.

From memory the polycarbonate strips are around 10mm high, by the time you add the double sided tape to them it makes then probably around 14mm high which is probably similar to a glass panel mounted on brackets. The mounting strips a mounted across the narrow dimension of the panels so not that condusive to air flow at least in my case that is. There is gaps in the strips if mounted correctly though that would let some air flow though the main cooling affect while travelling would be from air passing over the top of the panel.

The mounting under the panel is more about preventing stress on the panel than cooling.

People say that without airflow under the panel they will overheat, look at solar blankets, there is no airflow under the panel. I have read where people indicate their solar blanket overheated while laying on the ground, I have used solar blankets laying on a plastic sheet on the ground for years and haven't had one fail yet so seems luck of the draw. With my house solar panels the angles is low, their is very little gap under the panels, there are 3 stacked together and they are on a black roof so I doubt there would be much cooling affect due to convection cooling under the panels going on there either and given the speed at which they heat up and cool down as the sun shine varies on a cloudy day I would say that is pretty much the case.

In my own setup the flexibles are mounted on a crossover vans fibreglass roof. I have the cells facing out on the edge supports so any wind blowing can "vent" under the panels. The roof also has a considerable slope on it so air flow can get going due to convection but there still wouldn't be much airflow. They have so far been there for 3 years and touch wood are still performing well.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 923735

Reply By: Member - nickb aka"boab" - Tuesday, Jun 20, 2023 at 08:19

Tuesday, Jun 20, 2023 at 08:19
Solar panel explanation on youtube
Solar 4 RV mounting insulation
Cheers Nick b

AnswerID: 643903

Reply By: Member - LeighW - Tuesday, Jun 20, 2023 at 09:29

Tuesday, Jun 20, 2023 at 09:29
An interesting aside to this discussion is that currently there are around 3 companies working on plastic frame solar panels. With these panels the alloy frame and glass sheet is replaced with plastic versions.

From what I have read approval has been obtained in Europe for the use of the new frames and no doubt the same will happen in other countries. From memory they indicate a 50% weight saving over conventional panels.

If your interested see

Plastic framed solar panels

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 643905

Follow Up By: Member - McLaren3030 - Wednesday, Jun 21, 2023 at 06:40

Wednesday, Jun 21, 2023 at 06:40
Hi Leigh,

All well and good, and I don’t doubt they will be fine for conditions in Europe, and most Australian bitumen roads. Not sure about Australian outback roads with corrugations. I have yet to see a good European built caravan survive the Australian outback conditions. Will be interested to see if anyone here does some testing with these on tracks like The Tanami, GRR, GCR, PDR/Bamaga road etc.

Macca.
Macca.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 923747

Reply By: Member - Peterspartan - Wednesday, Jun 21, 2023 at 13:01

Wednesday, Jun 21, 2023 at 13:01
I have attached a Safiery Copperflex 300W Flex panel (expensive but they work and last) onto a Bundutop RTT onto strips of corflute glued to the RTT and Back of the solar panel with a Sikaflex product (221 i think it was)
In short, it is best to have an air gap under the panel for optimal efficiency / cooling etc

AnswerID: 643922

Reply By: Member - Peterspartan - Wednesday, Jun 21, 2023 at 17:18

Wednesday, Jun 21, 2023 at 17:18
I have attached a Safiery Copperflex 300W Flex panel (expensive but they work and last) onto a Bundutop RTT onto strips of corflute glued to the RTT and Back of the solar panel with a Sikaflex product (221 i think it was)
In short, it is best to have an air gap under the panel for optimal efficiency / cooling etc

AnswerID: 643925

Sponsored Links