Telstra towers

Submitted: Saturday, Jun 17, 2023 at 08:15
ThreadID: 145774 Views:1893 Replies:4 FollowUps:11
This Thread has been Archived
Can anyone tell me where I can find a map of Telstra mobile tower locations?

I have an app that finds what towers of all providers the phone can find but obviously that is using a signal.

When necessary I use a directional RFI panel antennae on a mast that is exceptional at picking up long range but I need to know where to point it when I don't get a signal using the phone app.

With patience I can slowly rotate searching but when on the fringe of a tower at long range it needs to be stationary for periods on each shift to lock on. Knowing where to roughly point it would be great.

I had an old topo data base years ago, it's well out of date and Google is not finding one.
Life is a journey, it is not how we fall down, it is how we get up.
VKS 1341

My Profile  My Position  Send Message

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Bob Y. - Qld - Saturday, Jun 17, 2023 at 08:26

Saturday, Jun 17, 2023 at 08:26
There used to be a coverage map on the Telstra site, but I haven’t checked their site for some time.

Any chance you can post a photo, or link, to your RFI antenna please?

Bob

Seen it all, Done it all.
Can't remember most of it.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 643882

Follow Up By: Member - bungarra (WA) - Saturday, Jun 17, 2023 at 08:38

Saturday, Jun 17, 2023 at 08:38
Coverage map is not applicable as I wish to pinpoint the tower.

I am fairly certain this link is the same as mine. Mine is up on the mast atm so can't photo it.

I'm locked on a tower 53km away with strong internet and am able to stream on demand TV. Using a Nighthawk M6 router.

https://www.telcoantennas.com.au/rfi-wide-band-mimo-3g-4g-5g-panel-antenna-700-3800
VKS 1341

FollowupID: 923709

Follow Up By: Bob Y. - Qld - Saturday, Jun 17, 2023 at 09:49

Saturday, Jun 17, 2023 at 09:49
Thanks for the link, Bungarra. Have dealt with Telco a couple of times, they’re a good mob.

Looks like Racey has the goods.

Bob

Seen it all, Done it all.
Can't remember most of it.

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 923710

Reply By: Member - Racey - Saturday, Jun 17, 2023 at 09:37

Saturday, Jun 17, 2023 at 09:37
there is a mobile app called Aus Phone Towers which shows each tower on the map including the tech details
AnswerID: 643884

Follow Up By: Briste - Saturday, Jun 17, 2023 at 09:57

Saturday, Jun 17, 2023 at 09:57
In my experience that app needs a signal to work. I assume that's the app that the OP referred to. Unless I'm missing something, I'm not sure how you would use it to align a directional antenna, until you were getting close and started to get a signal.
FollowupID: 923712

Follow Up By: Member - bungarra (WA) - Saturday, Jun 17, 2023 at 14:18

Saturday, Jun 17, 2023 at 14:18
Thanks, but as I stated in my post I have an app (that one actually) but it needs a signal to work.

What I'm seeking is the ability to see the physical locations on a topo map.

Them when I'm offline out in the sticks I can get a bearing from my location to the appropriate tower and see if I can pick it up
VKS 1341

FollowupID: 923718

Reply By: Member - Warren H - Saturday, Jun 17, 2023 at 10:18

Saturday, Jun 17, 2023 at 10:18
You could use a site like this one to compile a list of towers in the areas you are travelling to for use offline. This site gives coordinates and the providers.
NT Pajero
2007 Goldstream Crown

AnswerID: 643886

Follow Up By: Member - bungarra (WA) - Saturday, Jun 17, 2023 at 14:21

Saturday, Jun 17, 2023 at 14:21
Perfect thanks! Exactly what I need to plot and locate as waypoints prior to heading out.
VKS 1341

FollowupID: 923720

Reply By: Member - Racey - Saturday, Jun 17, 2023 at 15:44

Saturday, Jun 17, 2023 at 15:44
Here is the ACMA siteACMA mobile tower locations. When you log on you can click onto a major centre then keep expanding to any location.
It will give you the ability to plan ahead.

Cheers
Racey
AnswerID: 643889

Follow Up By: Nomadic Navara - Saturday, Jun 17, 2023 at 19:38

Saturday, Jun 17, 2023 at 19:38
That site contains the entire ACMA licensed services database. You need to narrow it down to just get the Telstra services. Click on the hamburger icon on the top LH corner, then drop down the "Filter Sites By Site Assignments/Licences" selection, under the "With Clients where," drop down select "Licensee" and add "TELSTRA LIMITED" to the RH box. You will still get all the Telstra licences (microwave links, base stations and rural telephone services) as well as the phone towers. If you do that you will get rid of all the other phone towers and licensed services. It will make a slow responding database to load much quicker.
PeterD
Retired radio and electronics technician

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 923723

Follow Up By: Zippo - Sunday, Jun 18, 2023 at 01:21

Sunday, Jun 18, 2023 at 01:21
You could try RFNSA for cellphone network base stations, saves beating the ACMA database into shape.
FollowupID: 923724

Follow Up By: Member - Cuppa - Tuesday, Jun 20, 2023 at 08:22

Tuesday, Jun 20, 2023 at 08:22
Thanks. What a great resource. Shows Telstra, Optus & NBN.

We recently had NBN reconnected, involving a replacement antenna on the roof. The tech installing told me the tower wasn't too far away. Now I know it is 1.3kms & it's location.
See 'My Profile' (below) for link to our Aussie travel blog, now in it's 6th year.

FollowupID: 923743

Follow Up By: Member - McLaren3030 - Wednesday, Jun 21, 2023 at 06:45

Wednesday, Jun 21, 2023 at 06:45
Hi Cuppa,

I did not know NBN required an antenna, I thought it was a fibre optic cable connection. What does the antenna connect to?

Macca.
Macca.

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 923748

Follow Up By: Nomadic Navara - Wednesday, Jun 21, 2023 at 07:59

Wednesday, Jun 21, 2023 at 07:59
Macca, in some sparse outlying areas the NBN may decide that it is too expensive to provide the optic cables to the FTTN nodes or FTTP and they provide their services by wireless. They use spectrum in the same region as the mobile services and similar modems.

PeterD
Retired radio and electronics technician

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 923749

Follow Up By: Member - Cuppa - Wednesday, Jun 21, 2023 at 09:47

Wednesday, Jun 21, 2023 at 09:47
As Peter said. A bit more info here.

https://www.nbnco.com.au/learn/network-technology/fixed-wireless-explained

It is the only type of NBN we have had in Victoria. Up north we had NBN via Satellite in several locations. Have never experienced FTTN or FTTP.

The only fibre optic we had was directly from a fixed wireless tower to our living room when we had a Fixed Wireless tower on our property & a line of trees prevented us from getting a reliable signal even though it was only about 600metres from the house.

At that time we were the first people in Victoria (possibly in Australia) to have fibre to the living room! (Albeit at at the max speed possible from fixed wireless).

It was pretty good, unlimited the ISP paid us rather than us paying them!
See 'My Profile' (below) for link to our Aussie travel blog, now in it's 6th year.

FollowupID: 923750

Sponsored Links