Oztrail 45l Fridge Freezer

Submitted: Tuesday, Jun 20, 2023 at 09:54
ThreadID: 145782 Views:2145 Replies:3 FollowUps:5
This Thread has been Archived
Looking at using one of these as a freezer for a outback trip, does anyone have experience with using this fridge as a freezer?
Thanks
Fabio

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Batt's - Tuesday, Jun 20, 2023 at 12:42

Tuesday, Jun 20, 2023 at 12:42
If it has freezer capabilities it shouldn't be a problem same as any other brand. If your freezing stuff -18 c is the safe level to keep bacteria at bay but some people go less to save power it might be ok for short trips but I've always used the correct level. If you have time it's try using it as a freezer at home first on your battery system to get an idea on how much power it uses daily so you know roughly how long you can stay in one spot if you have solar panels as well use them.
AnswerID: 643908

Follow Up By: Member - FLNGO - Tuesday, Jun 20, 2023 at 13:35

Tuesday, Jun 20, 2023 at 13:35
Hi Batt's,
Yet to buy the this fridge, mainly concerned if it can operate as a good freezer. For example set it to -10 or -15 & it will comfortably do the job.
I have plenty if Lithium on board (360Ah) to manage the power consumption of 2 fridges and the trip is car based so wont be stationary for more than 2 days.
Regards

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 923745

Follow Up By: Member - nickb aka"boab" - Thursday, Jun 22, 2023 at 19:42

Thursday, Jun 22, 2023 at 19:42
Fab : if your got bit more cash ..
Have a look at mycoolman a realy gr8 fridge/freezer plenty of options.. quality ,
Quite ,cool down so kwik .
Cheers Nick b

My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

FollowupID: 923777

Reply By: Batt's - Friday, Jun 23, 2023 at 21:37

Friday, Jun 23, 2023 at 21:37
Just had a look at the Oztrail and Mycoolman online they draw 45w that's a bit power hungry in my book especially when my 19yr old RF47 Ltr Evakool draws 35w. I'd be researching a few other brands to compare with it first. I know you have plenty of storage power but a fridge is usually something we buy to last a long time and it should be good on power especially these days with all the tech around.
In saying that I have a Kings 15 Ltr console fridge in draws 40w but it's mainly for drinks and snacks when traveling. It seems to be a bit more common that some cheaper fridges use more power you might say it's the price we pay if we don't won't to pay the price. Anyway if it does what you want all good.
AnswerID: 643938

Follow Up By: Member - FLNGO - Saturday, Jun 24, 2023 at 08:39

Saturday, Jun 24, 2023 at 08:39
Hi Batt's,

Not sure that power (w) is the best measure as it may just be that the Oxtrail & Mycoolman have a larger compressor thus the higher instantaneous power requirement, but the larger compressor will run a shorter time to achieve the same cooling effect as the Evakool.

I think Amp hr is a better measure to determine the effect on you power storage/charging system.

For comparison;
Oztrail 45l has average 1Ah power consumption (does not specify test conditions) thus 24Ah in a day which is negligible for my setup.
Mycoolman 44l has 0.8Ah power consumption set at 5?C, 32?C Ambient.

Evacool Downunder 47l has 1.6 Ah power consumption set at 2?C, 32?C Ambient.

Test conditions will have a direct impact on power consumption thus above values can only be used as a guide.

Also, operating as a freezer the power consumption numbers will most likely double.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 923790

Follow Up By: Batt's - Saturday, Jun 24, 2023 at 11:48

Saturday, Jun 24, 2023 at 11:48
If they have good insulation properties they might cycle less also most companies would only use a compressor to suit to keep costs down. Stange why a company would test their at fridge at 5 deg who runs theirs at that temp in the real world warm drinks and food not staying fresh as long as it should. Evakool do more realistic tests at temps more likely to be used.
FollowupID: 923797

Follow Up By: Member - nickb boab - Wednesday, Jun 28, 2023 at 14:17

Wednesday, Jun 28, 2023 at 14:17
Just for interest sake my 30l mycoolman fridge / freezer on fridge drawers about 3 .3 / 3.8 amps and about 30 /50 Watts fluctuating from cold on start up , on turbo mode
3.0 amps 38.0 normal mode .
Cheers Nick b

My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

FollowupID: 923882

Reply By: Member - McLaren3030 - Sunday, Jun 25, 2023 at 07:21

Sunday, Jun 25, 2023 at 07:21
Hi Fabio,

In my experience, it is always better to look at the maximum power consumption in amps, not the minimum or even the average. Manufacturers tend to test their products in absolutely “perfect” conditions, not necessarily “real world” conditions.

The majority of compressor fridges draw between 3 to 5 amps when the compressor is cycling. Now this MAY average out to around 2 amps, but there is no guarantee of that as there are a number of variables that come into play. Some of these variables you can have some influence over, some you cannot.

As far as temperature settings are concerned, Food Standards Australia set +4 degrees as a maximum for refrigerated foods, and -18 degrees for frozen food. Having said that, if you can maintain your freezer at around -10 degrees, you should be OK.

Macca.
Macca.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 643952

Sponsored Links