Temperature compensated alternator? Y/N?

Submitted: Sunday, Jul 09, 2023 at 13:08
ThreadID: 145968 Views:2757 Replies:6 FollowUps:14
This Thread has been Archived
Hi All

Re my post the other week and charging Lithium batteries directly from an alternator.

Can anyone tell from this drawing if the alternator is indeed temperature compensated?

This was printed at Toyota the other day. The guy who served me seemed a bit above your average counter sales person and he is saying no, it's not.

Thanks

Lyndon
Now is the only time you own
Decide now what you will,
Place faith not in tomorrow
For the clock may then be still

My Profile  My Position  Send Message

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Boobook - Sunday, Jul 09, 2023 at 15:00

Sunday, Jul 09, 2023 at 15:00
You can measure the voltage at 1500 plus RPM when cold vs hot and see if there is about a volt difference

or you can check here.https://www.hkbelect.com/products/toyota/

or you can ask Leigh who runs that website. He will know.
AnswerID: 644083

Follow Up By: Member - lyndon NT - Sunday, Jul 09, 2023 at 15:04

Sunday, Jul 09, 2023 at 15:04
Hi

Thanks for the reply. Just checked the website. The years listed for the 78 series are years when it was no longer made?

Regards

Lyndon
Now is the only time you own
Decide now what you will,
Place faith not in tomorrow
For the clock may then be still

My Profile  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 923984

Reply By: Phil G - Sunday, Jul 09, 2023 at 20:28

Sunday, Jul 09, 2023 at 20:28
Yes, your HDJ78 has a temp compensated alternator. All Toyota alternators since at least 1990 have been temp compensated.
As mentioned above, you can simply measure the voltage as you are driving along. My old HDJ79 used to be 14.1-14.2V at start up when cold and settle down to as low as 13.5V when it was really hot - like driving across the Hay plains on a 45 degree day. But most of the time it was arond 13.8-13.7V.
Temp compensation is a good thing - its designed to improve the life of your cranking battery.
If you have a second battery in a colder environment (such as inside the cab), it is best to use a DCDC charger which is also temp compensated
AnswerID: 644085

Follow Up By: IvanTheTerrible - Sunday, Jul 09, 2023 at 20:39

Sunday, Jul 09, 2023 at 20:39
Are you sure that is temp compensated or just ECU controlled. Most modern vehicles are ecu controlled and ramp the voltage down over time to help decrease emissions and increase fuel economy.
FollowupID: 923985

Follow Up By: IvanTheTerrible - Sunday, Jul 09, 2023 at 20:48

Sunday, Jul 09, 2023 at 20:48
Just checked the two units listed for the above listed vehicle with a supplier and there is only the standard connection of B+, sense, ignition and warning light. No temp or ecu input.
FollowupID: 923987

Follow Up By: Phil G - Sunday, Jul 09, 2023 at 21:03

Sunday, Jul 09, 2023 at 21:03
Ivan, the temp compensation is built into the regulator which sits at the back of the alternator.
FollowupID: 923988

Follow Up By: IvanTheTerrible - Sunday, Jul 09, 2023 at 21:13

Sunday, Jul 09, 2023 at 21:13
If that is the case,and I have never seen it, how has the got anything to do with charging a Lithium? All it would do is stop the alternator overheating
FollowupID: 923989

Follow Up By: Phil G - Sunday, Jul 09, 2023 at 21:23

Sunday, Jul 09, 2023 at 21:23
Ivan, You need to do some reading.
What does it have to do with charging Lithium? Like I said above, if you have an alternator in a hot environment charging a battery in a cool environment, your supplied voltage from an alternator might not be sufficient, hence the need for a DCDC charger if you want an ideal charging system.
Anyway, here's some infor from a very quick Google:
FollowupID: 923990

Reply By: Member - Bigfish - Monday, Jul 10, 2023 at 07:33

Monday, Jul 10, 2023 at 07:33
I love reading lithium battery manufacturers/sellers/suppliers etc. that say its a simple drop in replacement. You dig deeper through all the bullshite and normally hidden away is the statement "may require appropriate charging equipment to suit lithium".or words to that effect. I,ve got 5 lithium batteries between my camper/boat and car. All are charged by dc/dc...an alternator is just not suitable as far as I,m concerned. Batteries (quality) cost over $800 each...why wouldn't you use a dedicated charger? An alternator even struggles to get a dumb lead acid battery up to 100% S.O.C.

AnswerID: 644086

Reply By: Member - Racey - Monday, Jul 10, 2023 at 09:20

Monday, Jul 10, 2023 at 09:20
Totally agree with Big Fish. All my lithium batteries are charged by lithium designated chargers, AC and DC-DC.
Cheers
Racey
AnswerID: 644088

Reply By: Member - LeighW - Monday, Jul 10, 2023 at 09:50

Monday, Jul 10, 2023 at 09:50
Lydon,

First off I would do the test suggested above to ensure the alternator installed is a temperature compensated unit though as it may have been replaced with a non OEM unit.

The OEM alternator will work fine, you'll get around 14.4V when the engine bay is cold, this is fine when the battery is fully charged as it will allow the cell balancers to balance the cells which they only need to do for a short time.

When the engine bay heats up or load on the alternator is high the voltage will drop to around 13.8V which is fine for a continuos charging voltage for the Lithium. I have been running a DCS battery under bonnet now for 6 years now charged directly off the alternator via a VSR without any issues. As long as its a quailty battery and the manufcturer indicates suitable for charging of an alternator ie can handle high charge currents and the temperature it will be fine.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 644089

Reply By: Andrew L - Monday, Jul 10, 2023 at 12:33

Monday, Jul 10, 2023 at 12:33
i own lithiums from dcs in my 200 series. My alt is temperature compensating. My lithiums are happy being charged by the alt, when they lithiums (after camping a week) are low, (using the app) i can see 130 amps are being fed in. This is the beauty of using an alt. faster recharging.
But you cant do that with other lithiums, some have a BMS that will only allow 80 amps, like the 100 ah i run in the camper, it has a 30 amp dc to dc.
Might i add, the DCS is set up for under bonnet temperature, the total it will charge to is 13.8 with the alt, but the alt only supplies 13.5 when hot. Adding solar as they are designed for, they will charge to 14.6 ( with solar, your camping and not running the motor).
As others have said, check cold and hot volts, the old toyota alts used to charge 14.6 cold or hot, and were good for second battery charging off first. I was of the belief 2007 was the start of temperature compensating alts in toyotas, happy to be shown otherwise, the motor ecu controls the volts, nothing to do with whats in the alt.
If you were to put full volts to the field of the alt, that alt will pump out 35 volts, the regulator controls the voltage of an alt, and with later toyotas that is in the motor ecu (which also knows temperature of ambient, motor coolant etc.)
AnswerID: 644090

Follow Up By: Member - LeighW - Monday, Jul 10, 2023 at 13:36

Monday, Jul 10, 2023 at 13:36
My 1966 corona had a temperature compensated alternator. Around 2007 Toyota changed to is known as a high compensation type.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 923994

Follow Up By: Member - LeighW - Monday, Jul 10, 2023 at 13:40

Monday, Jul 10, 2023 at 13:40
Car generators / alternators have had temperature compensation for a long long time. Most including auto elects wouldn't have even known what it is unless they adjusted the voltage regulators as per the manufacturers specs and most wouldn't have.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 923995

Follow Up By: qldcamper - Tuesday, Jul 11, 2023 at 08:06

Tuesday, Jul 11, 2023 at 08:06
Where did you come up with that Leigh.
Please explain to everyone how electro mechanical generator and alternator regulators were temperature compensating.
I started my apprenticehip when generators were still very common and had TAFE training on exactly how automotive charging systems operated and were controlled and temperature compensation was not a part of it.
Overhauling generators and their regulators was part of the syllabus but that was the last year QLD TAFE ran that as it was dropped and replaced by EFI training. Parts for rebuilding regulators quickly become unavailable as well as new genuine generator regulators. I had one look inside a non genuine reg and refused to sell them, some even had the covers rivited on so could not be set to specs.
Wonder why I saw many hundreds of burned out alternators and blown rectifiers for so many years as would every othe auto sparky if temp compensation was incorperated, which seems to be a thing of the past now.
Any sparky that went through TAFE after the late 70ies early 80ies would not have had such training so interested in finding out where the facts you mention comes from.
Anyway always open to learn anything that the institution didnt know.
FollowupID: 923998

Follow Up By: Member - LeighW - Tuesday, Jul 11, 2023 at 09:28

Tuesday, Jul 11, 2023 at 09:28
The Elecromechanical regulator in my 1966 Corona had a bimetal spring that was used to change the voltage output as the regulator heated up, the Toyota repair manual had details on adjusting the spring to obtain the correct compensation. If you didn't read the service manual you wouldn't relise it was there it just looked like any over armature spring. The regulators back then as you know were seperate units and therefore not subject form heating for the alternator itself. In a modern alternator with internal regulator the heat produced by the alternator itself is seen by the regulator as an increase in ambient temperature and they reduce their output, it is actually a design flaw but has become a defacto overload protection.

As I wrote not many realised the regualtors have had temperature compensation built in. Very early on in the development of cars charging system it was discovered in was not easy to charge a cars battery properly. They tried constant current regulators, then constant voltage and eventually they adopted constant voltage temperature compensated though begrudgingly as it increased the price. Interestingly very early motor repair manuals had descriptions on rebuliding car batteries and how to adjust votlage regulators including the temerature compensation where bimetal sprinds were used. Overtime these disappeared as batteries were simply replaced and the temperature compensation was an integral part of the regulator design. Same as today. The below is a brief history of the automotive voltage regulator that few would have read.

History of voltage regulation

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 924001

Follow Up By: qldcamper - Tuesday, Jul 11, 2023 at 09:55

Tuesday, Jul 11, 2023 at 09:55
Very interesting. Yes all of the reg armatures had bi metal springs but it was never mentioned to me that it was for temp compensation, just goes to show that your never too old to learn, bit late to be of use but interesting never the less.
FollowupID: 924002

Follow Up By: RMD - Tuesday, Jul 11, 2023 at 14:53

Tuesday, Jul 11, 2023 at 14:53
Leigh W is correct, and any regulator with Bi metal associated with the voltage adjustment has to be for temp compensation. Why would you fit a bi metal, if it wasn't to allow for temp increases? Mechanical thermostats use two metals as their differential factor to determine heat and the arm bend with temp to control whatever. Most didn't realize it was for that, but any mechanical temp adjuster has a bi metal feature so it works to alter the temp. Some clocks use Bi Metal to wind their mechanism with ambient temp altering through the day.
Also, the current limiting bobbin was Bi metal too, to reduce high output when hot. All a balance of hope and pray though.
Lucas regs didn't control if they didn't get hot enough and subsequently burned the armature. I have replaced dozens. # 227987.

Although a while since touching a Bosch alu. case alt reg, they had bi metal leaves for the same reason.

FollowupID: 924009

Follow Up By: Nomadic Navara - Wednesday, Jul 12, 2023 at 12:40

Wednesday, Jul 12, 2023 at 12:40
My first vehicle was a 1940 Austin 8. The handbook I had with it even included the correct voltage settings for the charge voltage at various ambient temperatures around the regulator. When I was playing around with the regulator I used to borrow an AVO 8 multi-meter to set the correct voltage charge level.
PeterD
Retired radio and electronics technician

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 924017

Follow Up By: Member - Bigfish - Wednesday, Jul 12, 2023 at 15:47

Wednesday, Jul 12, 2023 at 15:47
Many other lithium batteries apart from dcs will certainly allow fast, high amperage charging. Just check out the specs.
FollowupID: 924018

Sponsored Links