Calcium in water

Submitted: Monday, Jul 10, 2023 at 22:29
ThreadID: 145972 Views:1886 Replies:4 FollowUps:4
This Thread has been Archived
Just started looking at what's on the market to reduce calcium and whatever else causes build up in the house water supplied to our house. We live in town there seems to be excesive build up shower head etc. Looked up Carefree water conditioners so far but does anyone have something they have been using that works.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Matthew G3 - Tuesday, Jul 11, 2023 at 09:42

Tuesday, Jul 11, 2023 at 09:42
Hi Batt`s
Have you looked into Hydrosmart, they claim to deal with this on small and big scale.

Matt
AnswerID: 644097

Follow Up By: Member - 2208mate - Tuesday, Jul 11, 2023 at 10:08

Tuesday, Jul 11, 2023 at 10:08
That works well but doesn't enable you to store the water before it resumes it's original state, if I got that right...
FollowupID: 924003

Follow Up By: Batt's - Tuesday, Jul 11, 2023 at 13:31

Tuesday, Jul 11, 2023 at 13:31
I'll look up Hydrosmart.
Not storing water in a tank just normal household use. Have either of you tried any of them mainly wondering if they do what they actually claim. Thanks
FollowupID: 924005

Follow Up By: Matthew G3 - Tuesday, Jul 11, 2023 at 16:00

Tuesday, Jul 11, 2023 at 16:00
Hi Batt`s
I haven't used it. It came up when i was looking around as my ground water is only 8 feet down {and hardly any flow} and very salty.

Matt
FollowupID: 924010

Reply By: Happy Explorer - Tuesday, Jul 11, 2023 at 19:35

Tuesday, Jul 11, 2023 at 19:35
Hi Batt's
I would start with a water analyse. Your local council can probably do that for you. You may find your problem is much more complex than simply calcium.
Our town water is mostly sourced from underground and not the greatest quality. I got a sample tested because I have been having a lot of problems at work with buildup of white scale in appliances that heat water like urns, coffee machines, dishwashers, hotwater systems etc. Also problems in cold water appliances like ice makers and water drinking fountains etc. as well as the usual build up around tap outlets and in shower cubicles.
Turns out that there was very little calcium but rather a cocktail of all sorts of other impurities that will be much harder to deal with. Will need some fairly sophisticated (read expensive) point of entry treatment as well as polishing filters on each appliance apparently.
Hope that is of some help.
Roy G.
AnswerID: 644103

Follow Up By: Member - William B - Monday, Jul 24, 2023 at 12:15

Monday, Jul 24, 2023 at 12:15
Just a left field reply.
I home brew and use the water profile from the water supplier and use that as a basis to treat my water with chemicals to achieve a water profile to suite the style of beer I'm brewing.
Try the water authority or seek out a local brewer or brewing supply company for info.
William
Always planning the next trip. VKS-737 mobile 1619

My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 924171

Reply By: Member - Warren H - Tuesday, Jul 11, 2023 at 19:43

Tuesday, Jul 11, 2023 at 19:43
The solution will depend on what you want to use it for. State agriculture departments often have useful information. For example if you are using it in the laundry, sodium carbonate aka washing soda will help. There are guidelines for drinking water quality that will tell you if it is fit for human consumption. Ion exchange cartridges or a reverse osmosis system will remove it, but at an ongoing cost. One thing to keep in mind is that it is dissolved in the water so it can't be physically filtered out despite what the glossy brochures might claim.
NT Pajero
2007 Goldstream Crown

My Profile  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 644104

Reply By: Bob Y. - Qld - Wednesday, Jul 12, 2023 at 07:52

Wednesday, Jul 12, 2023 at 07:52
Batts,

When I was doing linehaul work, I used to spend 2 nights per week at the Barkly Homestead, waiting for the truck from Darwin to arrive the next morning. Often there’d be a heap of bags at the base of the overhead storage tank, waiting to be added to the water supply. I did check what it was, but have since forgotten what chemical it was. The water there was from a sub-artesian acquirer. Maybe you could ring them? 08 8964 4549

Water in Winton comes from a 4,000’ deep bore, and is a cocktail of various minerals & salts. Few people in town, if any, do any treatment to their supplies, but build up on shower roses, taps & the like is very gradual. Lawns don’t suffer from an over abundance of chemicals.

Bob

Seen it all, Done it all.
Can't remember most of it.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 644105

Sponsored Links