Sunday, Jul 16, 2023 at 09:25
I have always soldered
Smile like a Crocodile

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 644121

Follow Up By: Kazza055 - Sunday, Jul 16, 2023 at 14:36

Sunday, Jul 16, 2023 at 14:36
I also solder them using a gas blow torch similar to this one from Jaycar - Pencil Butane Torch

I use 2 x wooden cloths pegs to hold them in a vice, fill them full of solder and then dunk the tinned wires into the molten solder.

Sometimes I am just using small cable for 10A devices like fridges.

Unless you have the correct wire size and the proper crimp tool it is hit and miss on getting a decent connection.
FollowupID: 924080

Follow Up By: Allan B (Sunshine Coast) - Sunday, Jul 16, 2023 at 15:02

Sunday, Jul 16, 2023 at 15:02
Kazza, you say "unless you have the correct wire size…."
And there is the problem. When not working in a trade environment it is near impossible to always have access to correctly matched cables and lugs. But solder bridges the size gap without problem.
I have been known to double-back the cable end to more fill the lug size but please don't tell anyone that!
Cheers
Allan

FollowupID: 924081

Follow Up By: Member - Bigfish - Sunday, Jul 16, 2023 at 15:29

Sunday, Jul 16, 2023 at 15:29
Virtually evey accessory I have that uses 12 volts is connected via an anderson plug. Lighting, extension leads, solar, inverter (very rarely used. All soldered. Never had a fail and as you say Alan...I,ve repaired heaps of failed crimp connections for various campers. . After years of working on 12 volt solar systems and telecommunications I'll use solder every time. As I said ...each to their own.
FollowupID: 924084

Follow Up By: Member - lyndon NT - Sunday, Jul 16, 2023 at 19:11

Sunday, Jul 16, 2023 at 19:11
Same with me Allan, fold it back if I have to.
Now is the only time you own
Decide now what you will,
Place faith not in tomorrow
For the clock may then be still

My Profile  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 924094

Reply By: Duncanm - Sunday, Jul 16, 2023 at 11:36

Sunday, Jul 16, 2023 at 11:36
I use an 8 tonne hand held crimper and find it works very well, quick and easy, set came with selection of size mandrels. Have done a lot of Anderson plugs with it and no issues so far. Have also used it for joining larger wires with AL barrel crimps as well. It was a $40 eBay one. Friend also borrows it and prefers it from how he used to solder his. Not having a go at what Stephen does and I am sure soldering works fine as well.

The video analysis was interesting.

I sometimes use two mandrels to get a very tight crimp. Not sure if that would make much difference.
AnswerID: 644122

Reply By: Hoyks - Sunday, Jul 16, 2023 at 12:57

Sunday, Jul 16, 2023 at 12:57
I solder because I don't have a crimper that big.
Yes, crimping is the preferred method as the solder can make the joint too rigid and lead to the wires breaking if they flex over time, but on the other hand I fix one of the connectors firmly to the vehicle structure so there is no movement.

On the removable connector, if if flexes and the wires fracture, I can still do a field repair by stripping back the wires, re-melting the solder, pulling the bits out of the solder pool and plugging the freshly cleaned end back into the solder pool (with some more added of course).
AnswerID: 644123

Reply By: Phil G - Sunday, Jul 16, 2023 at 13:09

Sunday, Jul 16, 2023 at 13:09
His measurement of resistance is complicated and ridiculous - he should be using a much higher current and spear the cables to measure voltage drop - that will determine whether any resistance is relevant to the application.
I use a portable tyre pump to test resistance - it draws 25A and I typically find around 0.01V drop across a connected pair of anderson plugs - so the resistance he is measuring is insignificant and irrelevant.

In years gone by I used to measure the voltage drop across various high current DC connectors and wiring - all to do with making RC cars go faster, so its something I've measured a lot.

I only crimp these days. I have repaired many an anderson plug where the soldering was inadequate or where solder had wicked up the wire and broke the cable. I only ever use tinned cable for connections exposed to the elements because it won't corrode as much as straight copper cable.
AnswerID: 644124

Reply By: Allan B (Sunshine Coast) - Sunday, Jul 16, 2023 at 14:26

Sunday, Jul 16, 2023 at 14:26
HAhaha Bigfish. Nice try at controversy. And it will probably work too!

That video was well presented and possibly believable. But flawed.
As I said in that earlier thread on Multiple Anderson Circuits, it has been well established in industry including aero and military that crimped terminations are superior to soldered. But, as usual, someone has gone to a lot of trouble to appear to have superior knowledge and collect Brownie Points for self gain.

The moment that I saw the demonstrated resistance of the crimped joint I knew that it was either faked or poorly performed. There is no way that a properly executed crimp would produce the display of resistance. Either the cable was undersized for the Anderson pin or the incorrect crimp dies were used or the tool was not fully crimped. If properly done that result could not happen. With a good quality tool, especially a hydraulic one, the compression is such that the wire strands and the lug body form a cold weld with molecular bonding. The whole assembly becomes a homogenous mass such that there is no interface to produce an electrical resistance. Either the producers of that video were totally incompetent or they set out to deceive the viewer. The video did not present proof, merely a flawed demonstration. A person with engineering competence would immediately perceive the results as being beyond likelihood and investigate the reason. They were deceitful or not competant. Possibly both!

Certainly, the presenter was able to produce the "Cardinal Sin" that I spoke of earlier where he allowed solder to deposit on the contact face of the Anderson pin. His attempt to remedy the situation would have been ineffective as the silver or tin plating would be still be coated with solder which is an undesirable situation.
Crimping followed by soldering is totally unnecessary……. UNLESS… the crimp was poorly performed because the soldering, if done well, would then salvage the job.

Something that seems to be often omitted from this subject is the possibility of corrosion affecting the joint. A properly made joint, soldered or crimped, should not allow ingress of moisture to the actual joint, but the exposed copper wire between the insulation and the joint is at risk of corrosion. In all cases it is desirable to prevent this by applying glue-lined heat-shrink tubing from over the insulation to over the pot section of the lug or pin.
Cheers
Allan

AnswerID: 644127

Follow Up By: Member - Bigfish - Sunday, Jul 16, 2023 at 14:30

Sunday, Jul 16, 2023 at 14:30
Of course I could have posted an article about catch cans, 2 stroke oil, tyres, dc/dc chargers or vehicle tow weights......
FollowupID: 924078

Follow Up By: Allan B (Sunshine Coast) - Sunday, Jul 16, 2023 at 14:34

Sunday, Jul 16, 2023 at 14:34
On a slow forum day any of those would be appropriate.

Cheers
Allan

FollowupID: 924079

Follow Up By: Member - David M (SA) - Sunday, Jul 16, 2023 at 16:13

Sunday, Jul 16, 2023 at 16:13
"With a good quality tool, especially a hydraulic one" All old technology now Allan. :) Used to do 275kv joints with 120ton press, now they just wrap it in a explosive charge and "bang" done.
Dave.
FollowupID: 924086

Follow Up By: Member - Bigfish - Sunday, Jul 16, 2023 at 16:15

Sunday, Jul 16, 2023 at 16:15
Trouble is Dave...the neighbours would get pissed off if I stated using det cord or dynamite to connect my 6 B&S to the Anderson plug...
FollowupID: 924087

Follow Up By: Allan B (Sunshine Coast) - Sunday, Jul 16, 2023 at 16:17

Sunday, Jul 16, 2023 at 16:17
That sounds much more fun Dave.
Just like MickO and his tyre reseating trick.
Cheers
Allan

FollowupID: 924088

Follow Up By: Member - David M (SA) - Sunday, Jul 16, 2023 at 16:24

Sunday, Jul 16, 2023 at 16:24
Some people make it their life's work to stand in the way of progress Bigfish.
Dave.
FollowupID: 924089

Follow Up By: Allan B (Sunshine Coast) - Monday, Jul 17, 2023 at 12:24

Monday, Jul 17, 2023 at 12:24
Dave, with that crimping technique, I take it that it's best not to hold the lug in the fingers whilst crimping it?
Cheers
Allan

FollowupID: 924102

Follow Up By: Member - David M (SA) - Monday, Jul 17, 2023 at 12:53

Monday, Jul 17, 2023 at 12:53
Correct Allan, and hardhats and safety glasses must be worn if observing within 50 metres of procedure.
Dave.
FollowupID: 924103

Reply By: Allan B (Sunshine Coast) - Sunday, Jul 16, 2023 at 15:19

Sunday, Jul 16, 2023 at 15:19
I must say….. in this debate of solder vs crimp, what of all the soldered joints that were made before the advent of crimp lugs and tools? Did they all eventually fail? Are none of them still in use?
And I think that I have seen more poorly made crimps than soldered. Sure, some of those soldered ones didn't look too good but they worked. However, a crimp that looks nasty is almost certain to be dodgy.
Cheers
Allan

AnswerID: 644128

Follow Up By: Member - PhilD_NT - Sunday, Jul 16, 2023 at 20:17

Sunday, Jul 16, 2023 at 20:17
Allan, I started as a Tech in Training with the PMG in 68 and was primarily equipping Telephone Exchanges for most of my work life. The older Exchanges being superseded in those early years had wiring that was well soldered but a bugger to touch any of it as the wires themselves were going brittle and easily snapped off. At least they weren't subjected to vibration as would be in cars or RV's.

I did get stuck with one project, that no-one else wanted I suspect, involving a lot of crimping of power cabling for the suite's of equipment. The crimp lugs though were perfectly matched for the cable size and the hydraulic crimper was far bigger than the little 8 tonne one I've used these days for many jobs. The crimping die's with the work crimper though produced a far better end product than the small one which too often ends with little wings sticking out. It's either file off the wings or rotate 90 degrees and crimp again. The die's with the small crimper don't seem well made or match the lugs themselves better. I need to find an affordable better one.
FollowupID: 924096

Reply By: Geoff (Newcastle, NSW) - Sunday, Jul 16, 2023 at 16:27

Sunday, Jul 16, 2023 at 16:27
Interesting video, the man clearly doesn't understand the reasoning behind a crimped lug.
If he can get solder into what he is calling a crimped joint he hasn't produced a crimped joint. He has distorted a lug.
A correctly crimped joint is airtight, there's no way he'd be getting solder into it.
The whole process requires three things to be correctly matched, the lug, the cable and the tool. If anyone is a mismatch the resulting "crimp" won't be a crimp.
Cutting open a correctly crimped joint will show a solid copper bar, absolutely no sign of individual strands or the lug to cable boundary.
Geoff,
Landcruiser HDJ78,
Grey hair is hereditary, you get it from children. Baldness is caused by watching the Wallabies.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 644129

Follow Up By: AlbyNSW - Sunday, Jul 16, 2023 at 17:47

Sunday, Jul 16, 2023 at 17:47
That is all well and good in a professional situation but as DIYers are we going to achieve the same results with a whole gambit if different cable sizes we work with?
FollowupID: 924092

Reply By: Genny - Sunday, Jul 16, 2023 at 19:49

Sunday, Jul 16, 2023 at 19:49
I'll readily accept that a proper crimp is better than solder. However, I've had at least three professionally applied crimps fail. I don't have the tools to crimp, and am pretty content to flood solder the cables I make up, and so far, the darn things have stayed together.
AnswerID: 644130

Reply By: Batt's - Monday, Jul 17, 2023 at 08:50

Monday, Jul 17, 2023 at 08:50
For smaller wire I heat the terminal and melt solder into it till it's nearly full then put the wire in.
For larger wire I crimp it with 3mm wide crimpers that are designed for blue/yellow terminals about half way down that secures the cable but there is still a gap for solder to run past and fill the terminal. My thinking may be odd but if it gets very hot for some reason and the solder happens to melt it's still crimped.
AnswerID: 644131

Follow Up By: Allan B (Sunshine Coast) - Monday, Jul 17, 2023 at 08:58

Monday, Jul 17, 2023 at 08:58
If it is "still crimped" then that crimp cannot be very good or it would not have got hot enough to melt the solder in the first place. It will sit there generating heat and with a potential of initiating a fire. Better that it fails totally and draws attention.
Cheers
Allan

FollowupID: 924097

Follow Up By: Batt's - Monday, Jul 17, 2023 at 09:13

Monday, Jul 17, 2023 at 09:13
I always try and pull the wire out before soldering never had a problem.
FollowupID: 924099

Reply By: Gronk - Monday, Jul 17, 2023 at 10:02

Monday, Jul 17, 2023 at 10:02
The trouble with Anderson plugs is finding the right size wire.
The Anderson has 16mm2 lugs…..most cable you buy is 6 B&S , which is 13.5mm2…the wrong size for the lug unless you’re going to use an indent crimper.
Which is why I solder.
AnswerID: 644132

Follow Up By: Member - Bigfish - Monday, Jul 17, 2023 at 10:15

Monday, Jul 17, 2023 at 10:15
The $40 hydraulic crimper is perfect for 6B&S cable into the anderson plugs. I think its the number 4 or 6 size crimper (that comes with a variety of crimp sized inserts) that does an extremely tight crimp that wont come loose.
FollowupID: 924100

Follow Up By: kgarn - Monday, Jul 17, 2023 at 11:07

Monday, Jul 17, 2023 at 11:07
Single strand solid core 6B&S is 13mm2.
Stranded 6B&S is closer to 16mm2 CSA due to the stranding, however the CSA of the actual copper is still 13mm2.

FollowupID: 924101

Follow Up By: Gronk - Monday, Jul 17, 2023 at 16:15

Monday, Jul 17, 2023 at 16:15
As I said, 13mm2 is not the ideal size wire for a 16mm2 lug.
It may seem like a good crimp, but you can never be sure.
Only way to tell is put the lug in a vice ( or bolt it to something ) and pull hard on the wire.

Used to work on trains yrs ago and they weren’t 100% happy with using Cabac lugs with a Utilux crimper……the dies weren’t compatible with the lugs…..the wires got crimped good, but had bleed out at the side of the lugs, which meant you had to rotate the crimper and crimp again to squash the bleed out back in.
FollowupID: 924106

Follow Up By: Member - Bigfish - Monday, Jul 17, 2023 at 16:24

Monday, Jul 17, 2023 at 16:24
If you use the right size crimper , which is supplied, you won't pull the termination apart. I,very tried and it's not possible.
FollowupID: 924107

Follow Up By: Allan B (Sunshine Coast) - Monday, Jul 17, 2023 at 20:33

Monday, Jul 17, 2023 at 20:33
As Gronk referred to above, an indent type crimper can work better than a die type if the cable is a little undersized.
Which is how I often coped with my old lever/ratchet type indent crimper, obtained before die type were generally available. Works well enough but doesn't look as tidy as the die type. However, if you apply heatshrink, as you should, it looks fine.
As I have often said, "If it works, it works".
Cheers
Allan

FollowupID: 924112

Follow Up By: AlbyNSW - Tuesday, Jul 18, 2023 at 07:27

Tuesday, Jul 18, 2023 at 07:27
Ok
So as a novice DIYer who is quite capable of doing a soldered joint , which crimper should I buy to get a “satisfactory” connection ? I have the plier ratchet type that I also use but that is sounding like it is not up to scratch
I am getting a consistent message here that a properly formed crimp is superior but what tool should the handyman use to achieve this given the talk of all the different dies etc?
FollowupID: 924114

Follow Up By: Member - Bigfish - Tuesday, Jul 18, 2023 at 10:01

Tuesday, Jul 18, 2023 at 10:01
For around $90 these are excellent for the vast majority of jointing the average bloke will need.

small wire crimper

hydraulic type
FollowupID: 924115

Follow Up By: Member - nickb boab - Tuesday, Jul 18, 2023 at 11:18

Tuesday, Jul 18, 2023 at 11:18
Bigfish . The link to the hydraulic eBay crimping tool (marked as unbranded in the add details) , would they be a knock off brand of the matson brand . And be a inferior tool or are they up to the job in hand.

I'm finding the discussion on crimp v solder interesting as I have always been taught by auto electrician..back in my early days to solder and never have been a great fan of general crimping although I now have a good set quality of crimping tool now.
Cheers Nick b

FollowupID: 924117

Follow Up By: Member - Bigfish - Tuesday, Jul 18, 2023 at 11:32

Tuesday, Jul 18, 2023 at 11:32
I,ve had my hydraulic crimper for about 5 years and would have done many hundreds of crimps with no issues. Mates have them and all swear by them as well. There is always one floating around the campsite!! Knock off of a Matson brand? No idea. I just know that they are great value for the price and do the job 100% as required.
FollowupID: 924118

Follow Up By: Member - nickb boab - Tuesday, Jul 18, 2023 at 18:09

Tuesday, Jul 18, 2023 at 18:09
Bigfish ' dose yours have a brand name ?

Cheers Nick b

FollowupID: 924120

Follow Up By: Member - Bigfish - Tuesday, Jul 18, 2023 at 18:20

Tuesday, Jul 18, 2023 at 18:20
Mines a no name brand. Mates have them and they are no-name as well

This one is the same in all aspects.
FollowupID: 924121

Reply By: tonysmc - Monday, Jul 17, 2023 at 11:05

Monday, Jul 17, 2023 at 11:05
Hi bigfish, I personally only solder. I started soldering joins over 40 years ago after coming across failed crimped joins. I have never had a failed soldered join. While I know some people prefer crimping, on an Anderson plug I believe you need to have the proper crimping tool to get an effective join, as the walls of the plug pins are quite thick. Most people don’t have the correct crimping tool for these plugs.
On another note, when I bought my boat, I found I was getting huge voltage drops and suspected some of the crimped joins at fault. As I cut them off and stripped back the wire, I found the deterioration of the wire due to water wicking was such that I had to replace every bit of wire. I replaced it all with tinned wire as that's all I use for any 12v stuff. IMHO soldering not only gives a larger surface contact area within the join, it also assists with sealing the wire from water wicking, although I also use heat-shrink on every join, including Anderson plug pins.
AnswerID: 644133

Reply By: Member - LeighW - Tuesday, Jul 18, 2023 at 10:24

Tuesday, Jul 18, 2023 at 10:24
Quality of the crimp terminals themselves is important too. I recently had some double sleeve type yellows crimps I purchased from a brand name that were really bad. Crimped them and just couldn't get them to hold. Threw them in the bin and got a batch off another supplier and problem solved.

Regarding soldering, personally I would never heat a pool of solder in a lug and then just plunge the cable into it. I would always heat the cable and the lug at the same time and then add solder while heating. A few years back I helped a guy who had issues with an Anders plug, the lug looked like it was perfectly soldered but was actually testing open circuit between the cable and the lug, a perfect dry joint.

The below video even though a bit rough confirms what I'm saying, plunging results in the outer strands being soldered and the inner not due to the cable acting as a heat sink.

Connection test

From Anderson Power:

"Cable strands should be separately fluxed with rosin paste, and the contact should be held in a vise with the barrel end facing up. Apply heat to the outside of the barrel while the solder flows in beside the wire strands"

In other words heat both the lug and the cable together then solder.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 644135

Follow Up By: Allan B (Sunshine Coast) - Tuesday, Jul 18, 2023 at 16:20

Tuesday, Jul 18, 2023 at 16:20
Blimey Leigh, you've had 6 bites at this Reply!!…….( EDIT: 8 attempts!!!! )
However, I do agree with what you say regarding pre-soldering of the cable end before placing it into the lug.
I left this procedure out of my earlier comments as I feared some people would think this to be too much trouble and not necessary but I do think it to be important, especially so with larger gauge cables.
My early observations of joints made by plunging a cold cable into a pool of molten solder was that the solder appeared to chill and set almost immediately with no time for the cable to 'absorb' solder into the strands. This was borne out when I then applied the gas torch to the assembled lug and the solder 'shrank' as it was absorbed.
I then changed my method by firstly 'tinning' the cable end with solder then going on to melting solder and resin into the lug, followed by inserting the still warm cable. There was no longer the 'chilling' effect and the joint took longer to 'set'. In the case of very large industrial cable I followed-up the cable insertion by re-applying the torch to the lug after cable insertion for a very short time to be sure that the whole assembly was at the same temperature. adding more solder if necessary.
In the case of small cables <16mm2 I will usually place the cable end into the cold lug then heat the assembly whilst feeding resin-cored solder in as it melts until the lug is full. This method achieves the concept above and at the same time ensures that the exact correct amount of solder is provided to the joint.
Any heat damage to the cable insulate is concealed by the applied heatshrink. In the 'olden days' we used to wrap the cable/lug sleeve with insulation tape….. fabric type!
Cheers
Allan

FollowupID: 924119

Follow Up By: Batt's - Tuesday, Jul 18, 2023 at 20:03

Tuesday, Jul 18, 2023 at 20:03
I use an 80w soldering iron for Anderson plugs and originally tried heating both wire and lug together which takes longer and the plastic coating on the wire usually starts to melt. Yes I could strip the wire back another inch or so more but not as neat and whether the plunge method has any effect on the bonding or not who knows but never had one fall apart in the past 20 odd years yet. I usually keep the heat on it for a short time to centre the wire so it will heat up and the solder does remain a liquid till the heat is removed. I learnt to solder at tech in the early 80's but we didn't have Anderson plugs just other electrical items.
FollowupID: 924123

Follow Up By: Allan B (Sunshine Coast) - Tuesday, Jul 18, 2023 at 21:50

Tuesday, Jul 18, 2023 at 21:50
Batts, A soldering iron is usually inadequate for large cables and I have sometimes protected the insulation from the flame with a shield of scrap sheet metal whilst tinning the cable end and when heating the fitted lug with a torch.
I had a bright idea one time of wrapping the rubber insulation with a few turns of asbestos rope..... made a right mess when the rubber melted into the asbestos!!! Won't tell you what the foreman said :(
But sure, an iron can work for smaller jobs. However, because you need to apply some solder between the lug and the iron to achieve good thermal transfer, you have to be careful that solder does not run down where it's not wanted, especially on the likes of Anderson pins.
Cheers
Allan

FollowupID: 924125

Follow Up By: Batt's - Wednesday, Jul 19, 2023 at 00:05

Wednesday, Jul 19, 2023 at 00:05
The largest cable I've used a soldering iron on is 90amp just filling any gaps after crimping works well.
FollowupID: 924127

Reply By: Beatle Bayly - Tuesday, Aug 01, 2023 at 10:24

Tuesday, Aug 01, 2023 at 10:24
I crimp. More out of necessity than preference. Though all my avionics tech mates told me that solder can reduce the ability of the cable to flex at the joint and break the wire (plus solder adds weight to aircraft...).

A hint for those using 50A Andersons with smaller cables is to fill the back of the assembled Anderson with hot glue (like potting). It helps stabilise the wires but can be dug out if needed. Hot glue gun <$10.00
AnswerID: 644208

Follow Up By: Member - LeighW - Tuesday, Aug 01, 2023 at 12:28

Tuesday, Aug 01, 2023 at 12:28
You need to be careful filling the connector as anderson plugs have a spring in them to lock the pin and and apply contact pressure. You can get contact issues if you prevent the pins being able to move about. Same can happen if you let solder wick up the cable, then cable becomes rigid and again prevents the pins being able to move about this becomes even more of an issue when the plugs are mounted in housings as the housing hold the wire tight and it can't move the pins then pins become very rigid.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 924221

Reply By: qldcamper - Monday, Aug 07, 2023 at 07:09

Monday, Aug 07, 2023 at 07:09
Amazing the amount of time and energy wasted on this topic over and over again.
Hint, you will never get an absolutly perfect anything in this world much to the dismay of the hundreds of armchair experts out there.
Just fit the bloody plug and use it, even if it isnt the perfect size cable crimped with a hydraulic crimper and duel wall heatshrink perfectly applied it will most likley last longer than you need it to, unless you are totally out of your league with wiring then you should get someone else to fit it, because internet forums will just confuse you more.
If you dont know how to solder then crimp, if you dont know how to crimp either then dont attempt it.

Rant over, for a couple of weeks when this question is asked yet again.
AnswerID: 644238

Follow Up By: Member - Bigfish - Monday, Aug 07, 2023 at 07:11

Monday, Aug 07, 2023 at 07:11
So why did you waste your time and energy??????
FollowupID: 924247

Follow Up By: qldcamper - Monday, Aug 07, 2023 at 07:34

Monday, Aug 07, 2023 at 07:34
Because it annoys me so much.
FollowupID: 924248

Follow Up By: Allan B (Sunshine Coast) - Monday, Aug 07, 2023 at 08:40

Monday, Aug 07, 2023 at 08:40
Agrrr….. just stuff them in and jam it with a twig.
Whatever you do, don't hammer the lug flat…. it stuffs up the electrons!
Cheers
Allan

FollowupID: 924249

Follow Up By: Member - Bigfish - Monday, Aug 07, 2023 at 08:59

Monday, Aug 07, 2023 at 08:59
Eucalyptus or pine twigs Allan??
FollowupID: 924250

Follow Up By: Allan B (Sunshine Coast) - Monday, Aug 07, 2023 at 09:36

Monday, Aug 07, 2023 at 09:36
I prefer Eucalyptus for their sterilising attributes which provides less voltage drop.
Besides, Eucalyptus are more Aussie than pine.
Cheers
Allan

FollowupID: 924251

Follow Up By: Allan B (Sunshine Coast) - Monday, Aug 07, 2023 at 09:51

Monday, Aug 07, 2023 at 09:51
Bigfish, don't laugh, I actually did this once!
A fellow traveller, fiddling with his wiring, dropped a terminal screw from his inverter into the sand and lost it. No screws in the spares box would fit….. seemed to be a 5/16" UNF. So I cut the lug off, stripped the wire and stuffed it into the terminal hole and screwed in a tapered twig. Worked a charm and may possibly still be there 4 years later!
Cheers
Allan

FollowupID: 924252

Sponsored Links