Breakaway Tether Connection Point

Submitted: Tuesday, Jul 18, 2023 at 21:15
ThreadID: 146010 Views:2904 Replies:14 FollowUps:21
This Thread has been Archived
Would anyone here be able to direct me to the legislation/law around where on the tow vehicle one must attach the cable/tether for a trailer breakaway braking system.

I've heard so many people say you can't attach it to the towbar, and some of the trailer supplier sites indicate similar, but I can't find anything which specifies the LEGAL requirement.

Not interested in more hearsay, just want to see it in black & smudge from a federal or state authority.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: IvanTheTerrible - Tuesday, Jul 18, 2023 at 22:02

Tuesday, Jul 18, 2023 at 22:02
We have been told by VICROADS but have never seen it in writing. Had a mate have the whole center section of his towbar separate. The idiot had the clip hooked onto the chain
AnswerID: 644137

Reply By: Mikee5 - Wednesday, Jul 19, 2023 at 07:16

Wednesday, Jul 19, 2023 at 07:16
I didn’t need legal to tell me not to attach it to a part of the tow system that might come off. You can’t legislate common sense.
AnswerID: 644139

Follow Up By: Beatle Bayly - Wednesday, Jul 19, 2023 at 12:47

Wednesday, Jul 19, 2023 at 12:47
Fair call Mikee5.

However I've had a police officer tell me in no uncertain terms that having the tether clipped to the towbar on my 100 series Landcruiser is 'illegal', and I'm sure it's not.

It would be silly to clip it to a part of the removeable tow hitch assembly, but the actual towbar (the part permanently bolted to the chassis) is not going anywhere the Landcruiser isn't.....

An 'industry expert' believes the terminology is that the tether 'must be attached to a substantial part of the tow vehicle' but again, couldn't show me anything vaguely official where that was stated.
FollowupID: 924135

Reply By: Member - Bigfish - Wednesday, Jul 19, 2023 at 09:23

Wednesday, Jul 19, 2023 at 09:23
I had this issue when I was rejigging my trailer. However I can remember that I did some researching and I know common sense and responsibility said do not attach to towbar. Unsure if I found the actual law around it or not. Ended up mounting to chassis via stainless cable. Connected it to the house batteries in the camper rather than relying on a small wet cell battery that came with the unit..

Vehicle Standards Bulletin VSB1, which covers the technical requirements stipulated by the Federal Department of Infrastructure and Regional Development, says that:

Every trailer over two tonnes GTM must have brakes operating on all wheels.
The brake system must cause immediate application of the trailer brakes in the event of the trailer becoming detached from the towing vehicle.
Under these circumstances, the brakes must remain applied for at least 15 minutes.

Some states (ACT, VIC) add that the brakes must “be able to hold the trailer on a 12 per cent grade while in operation after a breakaway”.

"""" The brake system must cause immediate application of the trailer brakes in the event of the trailer becoming detached from the towing vehicle.""""" If your safety wire was attached to the tow bar and the tow bar fell off, the unit would not activate as the van is still connected to the tow bar via safety chains. Pretty simple really. In this scenario the brake system would not be capable of applying trailer brakes so if this is the case you have mounted the brakeaway wire illegally/incorrectly..
AnswerID: 644141

Follow Up By: Beatle Bayly - Wednesday, Jul 19, 2023 at 12:17

Wednesday, Jul 19, 2023 at 12:17
Thanks Bigfish.

Herein lies part of my problem. 'Illegal' and 'incorrect(ly)' are two entirely different things. I really want to know what the legal requirement is, if in fact there is one, and no-one can tell me.

And when was the last time a towbar actually fell off? I'll bet more utes have snapped the chassis immediately aft of the cab towing trailers than vehicles have had towbars come adrift.
FollowupID: 924134

Follow Up By: Athol W1 - Saturday, Jul 22, 2023 at 20:16

Saturday, Jul 22, 2023 at 20:16
And what happens when the trailer drawbar breaks off, as I have had happen, still no trailer breakaway function.

There are possibly more drawbars parting company than there are ute chassis, or towbars , breaking, and tell me a more substantial part of the vehicle that is accessible and suitable for the purpose.

Regards
Athol
FollowupID: 924163

Follow Up By: Member - Bigfish - Sunday, Jul 23, 2023 at 11:53

Sunday, Jul 23, 2023 at 11:53
A simple solution Athol would be to mount the brake away system further back on the drawbar or put on the chassis. The supplied cable is quite long. Problem solved.
FollowupID: 924164

Follow Up By: Beatle Bayly - Sunday, Jul 23, 2023 at 15:39

Sunday, Jul 23, 2023 at 15:39
Athol, nothing will cover all eventualities. For example, what if the van rolls on its side or roof? The best trailer brakes in the world won't help in that scenario.
FollowupID: 924165

Follow Up By: Kazza055 - Sunday, Jul 23, 2023 at 17:48

Sunday, Jul 23, 2023 at 17:48
But if the van is on its side or roof, you will not need the brakes anyway ;=)
FollowupID: 924166

Follow Up By: Beatle Bayly - Sunday, Jul 23, 2023 at 18:41

Sunday, Jul 23, 2023 at 18:41
D'oh!!! Good point!!
FollowupID: 924167

Follow Up By: Athol W1 - Monday, Jul 24, 2023 at 09:38

Monday, Jul 24, 2023 at 09:38
It would be good if we could foresee what was going to happen, and then we could take appropriate steps to avoid that situation, but the beast that we can do is to take action against the most likely failures.

As a now retired transport inspector I have seen many broken drawbars on vehicles from box trailers to the heaviest of Dog and Pig trailers, with the smaller/lighter trailers normally breaking at the rear of the drawbar and the heavy trailers mostly breaking near the coupling but behind the safety chains.

I have personally experienced a tow bar break where the mounting for the tongue pulled out of the cross vehicle tubing on a HQ Holden, car was refuelled at Macksville and stopped for lunch at Nambucca Heads when I noticed the van coupling was hard against the rego plate. Very near a full disconnect as the chains would have gone with the van. That was in 1978.

I have personally had a drawbar break but again found before total disconnect (left side completely broken through, right side holding only by the lower face, found when winding the weight off the jockey wheel and the drawbar continued to drop). That was in 1993.

More recently I purchased (31/01/2023) a new vehicle and the dealer fitted tow bar was found to have 2 of its 6 mounting bolts that were not even finger tight (gaps of 10 and 12mm under the heads) just 2 days after delivery. That had the potential to be a major failure had I not been under the vehicle for other purposes.

With all of these potential failures the vehicle and trailer would have completely parted company, the 2 breakages were not of sufficient size/weight to have been legally fitted with any form of breakaway brake system.

Should you go back far enough the legal requirement was that the trailer brakes self applied in the event of a COUPLING failure, and to cover ALL possibilities then you would have to have the connections between something like the vehicle axle/suspension and trailer axles/suspension, something that is as impractical as it is ridiculous.

Regards
Athol
FollowupID: 924168

Reply By: Member - Bigfish - Wednesday, Jul 19, 2023 at 12:28

Wednesday, Jul 19, 2023 at 12:28
I have actually seen a toyota ute towing a boat loose its towbar. Luckily it was on a country road and I was following. Driver was only doing about 80kph and although it came close the trailer did not flip. Illegal or recommended there is no way I,d be stupid enough to fit the brake away cable to a towbar. It's not about the legality for me...it's about being smart and preventing a possible catastrophic accident when there is no need for one. My vehicle and rigs all get pro active maintenance and preparartion.
AnswerID: 644142

Follow Up By: Beatle Bayly - Wednesday, Jul 19, 2023 at 12:49

Wednesday, Jul 19, 2023 at 12:49
Did it lose the entire towbar, or just the removeable tow hitch?
FollowupID: 924136

Reply By: Member - Bigfish - Wednesday, Jul 19, 2023 at 13:21

Wednesday, Jul 19, 2023 at 13:21
Whole towbar. The bolts holding it on were badly worn as was well as the holes well elongated...obviously never checked it. He was lucky it was a rural setting. Mind you it was a farm vehicle that looked like it had seen better days. Lot of rust. Very lucky though. Tow bar didn't brake the chain and got tangled under draw bar...possibly helping to stop the whole rig quickly. Was only a 750kg atm trailer with no brakes as not required by law. Just shows what a little bit of maintenance can prevent.
AnswerID: 644143

Reply By: Member - Lloyd M - Wednesday, Jul 19, 2023 at 16:24

Wednesday, Jul 19, 2023 at 16:24
I saw a towbar almost come off, stayed on by one bolt each side luckily. It dropped and dragged along the Princes Highway, vehicle was towing a large camper trailer in the wet and doing about 120Kms/Hour just before this happened.

Everyone was very lucky that day.
Lloyd Mac

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 644146

Reply By: Ozi M - Wednesday, Jul 19, 2023 at 19:33

Wednesday, Jul 19, 2023 at 19:33
Discussion here

https://rvdaily.com.au/guide-breakaway-brakes-everything-you-wanted-to-know-and-more/

This may be the actual laws, have a browse and see if it in there

https://www.legislation.gov.au/Details/F2018L00692

HTH
AnswerID: 644147

Reply By: Member - nickb boab - Thursday, Jul 20, 2023 at 11:05

Thursday, Jul 20, 2023 at 11:05
We recently purchased a new 4WD wagon vehicle and had in the package a brand new factory fitted towbar . I was a little amazed when I first went to hook up to the caravan , with the attachment lugs for the safety chains . Coming from a background in welder fabricator . Although it must have been signed off by an engineer. ( 1 inch of weld will hold 1 tonne they say ?? ) I thought it was far from over engineered and had to drill out the holes to take the correct size rated shackles , towing capacity of the vehicle is 3.1 tonne .
The lugs are approximately 35 mm wide by 8 mm thick .welded only on one side and a very small tack on the other side . There is no real simple place to attach the Breakaway cable without attaching to the lugs under the station wagons
If the requirements in some of the links above for the safety cable to be activated when the caravan is detached from the tow ball while hanging on the safe chains this will take some executing

I recently had a situation where inadvertently hadn't locked the towball on to a fairly heavy tandem trailer in a precarious location and had done a bit of damage almost tearing the safety chain welding from the chassis when it detached from the ball and only travelling a few metres surprisingly
Cheers Nick b

My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 644151

Follow Up By: Allan B (Sunshine Coast) - Thursday, Jul 20, 2023 at 18:08

Thursday, Jul 20, 2023 at 18:08
Hi Nick,
That "small tack" looks rather like a preliminary tack to hold the lug while doing the full weld on the other side. I wonder if it was intended that the operator then returned to the first side to complete the weld?
So the issue may be a problem in quality control and assurance rather than a design issue. Or of course, it may well be a design issue….. yikes!!!
Either way, it does not look good for the manufacturer.
Cheers
Allan

My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 924150

Follow Up By: Member - nickb boab - Thursday, Jul 20, 2023 at 19:38

Thursday, Jul 20, 2023 at 19:38
Thanks Alan : I think if it was as you say a primary to hold it in place while welding the other side it would be at one end of the bracket . I'm pretty sure that is how most welders would go about that procedure .
Cheers Nick b

FollowupID: 924151

Follow Up By: Allan B (Sunshine Coast) - Thursday, Jul 20, 2023 at 19:58

Thursday, Jul 20, 2023 at 19:58
Well Nick, that shows how I would not become a trade welder! lol
Cheers
Allan

My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 924152

Reply By: Kazza055 - Thursday, Jul 20, 2023 at 12:02

Thursday, Jul 20, 2023 at 12:02
I think it was the previous model Pathfinder that had a bad habit of letting go of the complete towbar, it was bad enough for them to be recalled so don't think that the towbar is a good spot to use.

On my old Challenger I used the rear door latch.

It only needs to pull the plastic bit out of the breakaway switch, not support the 2,500kg van.
AnswerID: 644152

Reply By: GarryR - Thursday, Jul 20, 2023 at 12:11

Thursday, Jul 20, 2023 at 12:11
Hi Beatle bBayly, I have a 3.5 tonne tandem tipper work trailer, and I have place an eyebolt on the chasis of the utes and not the towbars for the reason many have stated that should the towbar break loose. In that situation, the breakaway wire would still be attached to vechile until it is released from vechile, hence stopping quickly. That is my theory, but many may disagree.
location - Warragul -Victoria
life is too short, so out and about enjoy

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 644153

Reply By: Gronk - Thursday, Jul 20, 2023 at 20:59

Thursday, Jul 20, 2023 at 20:59
As all the replies have shown…..no one has any links to any “proof” of where it should be attached.
Been plenty of discussions on different chat groups with the same answers….but no proof.
Something like the 200 series has a towbar as part of the chassis, so realistically the only thing that could depart is the tongue, in which case the chains would take over, rendering the breakaway unit not needed…..hence why I use the towbar as the point of attachment.
Realistically I can’t see where else you would attach it on most 4wd’s.
AnswerID: 644162

Follow Up By: OzzieCruiser - Thursday, Jul 20, 2023 at 22:22

Thursday, Jul 20, 2023 at 22:22
The transport tie down point (loop).
FollowupID: 924153

Follow Up By: Gronk - Friday, Jul 21, 2023 at 06:31

Friday, Jul 21, 2023 at 06:31
It’s at the side of the 4wd, and the tether probably wouldn’t reach.
FollowupID: 924154

Follow Up By: Member - McLaren3030 - Friday, Jul 21, 2023 at 07:03

Friday, Jul 21, 2023 at 07:03
I believe I have read somewhere on an “official site” that the breakaway cable must be attached to the towing vehicle so that if the caravan becomes disconnected from the towing vehicle, the brakes will operate. I do not believe it specified exactly where on the towing vehicle it needed to be attached to. Of course that leaves the whole thing so ambiguous and open to interpretation like so many other recent changes to regs. Etc. Just look at the discussions over the recent change to the battery installation in caravans and motorhomes. It specifically mentions all Lithium Ion batteries, but not LiFePo4 batteries. It is meant to encompass LiFePo4 batteries as well, but because it does not specify these in the wording, you could argue that the legislation only applies to Lithium Ion batteries and that Lithium Iron Phosphate batteries are not governed by this change.

Mine is attached to the steel replacement bumper bar.

Macca.
Macca.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 924155

Follow Up By: Member - nickb boab - Friday, Jul 21, 2023 at 08:21

Friday, Jul 21, 2023 at 08:21
Quote from Ozi m link : [If the cable that activates the breakaway brakes is looped in a way that it is short enough to activate the brakes while the chains are attached (but the coupling has come off the towball) then at least you’re likely to have better control of the caravan as you come to a stop. Better that the van is independently slowing rather than moving around on the safety chain(s).]

I wonder how many people would go to the trouble of doing this ?

I think as cronk has alluded to that there doesn't appear to be any solid evidence of where the cable must be attached and would most likely in the event of an accident end up in the hands of the court with the interpretation of the law of any negligence ?

I was wondering how many times that a caravan or trailer may have been detached from the towing vehicle causing an accident and was surprised as how many results i got .
not necessarily all from Australia though.
Cheers Nick b

FollowupID: 924156

Follow Up By: Gronk - Saturday, Jul 22, 2023 at 09:34

Saturday, Jul 22, 2023 at 09:34
As a folowup to nickb, I wonder how many caravans have detached from a car and the breakaway brakes have had ANY bearing on the outcome?
Most or all vans seem to roll or smash into something before or straight after detaching, so really the breakaway system is a safety feature that probably is more a feel good legislation that had good intentions, but in reality maybe hasn’t done anything to prevent an accident from a “runaway” van ..
FollowupID: 924159

Reply By: tonysmc - Friday, Jul 21, 2023 at 09:58

Friday, Jul 21, 2023 at 09:58
Hello Beatle,
I am much like you and like to see things written in black and white. As they say “A verbal agreement is not worth the paper it’s written on”. I don’t think anyone can find any legislation as there isn’t any. So many times, I have seen people posting online that you can’t own a vehicle registered in a different state than the state on your licence. Simply not true.
Having a look for anything “Legal”, all I could find was on Vehicle Inspection Bulletin, VIB 13 - Light Trailer Requirements – Compliance with VSB 1 was, 5.1 Tow couplings shall be attached in accordance with the manufacturer’s instructions and specifications, and c) Recommended attaching position.
While I take that section is most likely referring to tow hitch and chains, it did make me wonder what Australian Manufacturer’s/Suppliers of Break-away systems are stating in their installation instructions. Doing a quick search, they are saying, (with pictures), to attach it to the safety chain eyelet. One example “Position the Breakaway Switch on the drawbar of the trailer such that it allows the cable to reach the tow vehicle’s hitch chain safety eyelets.”
I am in no way advocating that this is the best or safest method but your question was about legality. Given there is no official documents specifying anything to the contrary, IMHO, it is “legal” to attach to the tow hitch. (I have no law qualifications)
On another note, I did notice that the Manufacturers say that the pull of the wire should as straight as possible, so if attaching to the car chassis it’s something to consider.
Tony
AnswerID: 644165

Follow Up By: Beatle Bayly - Friday, Jul 21, 2023 at 20:47

Friday, Jul 21, 2023 at 20:47
Thanks Tony,
I saw one video from a van manufacturer that stated NOT to use the shackles but to attach it to a 'substantial part of the vehicle'. That's still quite subjective, but sensible.

Mind you, that was from the same person who reckons concrete slabs at caravan parks are for parking your van on so it's level.......
FollowupID: 924158

Follow Up By: Nomadic Navara - Saturday, Jul 22, 2023 at 16:22

Saturday, Jul 22, 2023 at 16:22
Beatle, Most of the trailers we see have a switch that is cable operated to initiate the break away brake operation. However, this is not the only way that the braking can be initiated, you could use proximity switches at the coupling or a voltage from the tug where the line would be fractured when the two vehicles become separated. As there are alternate methods that can be used to initiate the operation they can not put detailed instructions into the legislation.

I believe it is sufficient for the legislation to provide guidance by saying:
"Every trailer over 2 tonnes GTM must have brakes operating on all wheels. The brake system must cause immediate application of the trailer brakes in the event of the trailer becoming detached from the towing vehicle. Under these circumstances, the brakes must remain applied for at least 15 minutes." (from VSB-01.)

This allows you to use devices other than the conventional breakaway controllers. The manufacturers of the system should give instructions regarding the use of their equipment for you to follow.

For instance RV Electronics who make the Brakesafe series of controllers provide instructions saying "*NOTE* PLEASE MAKE CERTAIN THAT THE CABLE FROM THE BREAKAWAY SWITCH IS ATTACHED TO THE REAR OF THE TOW VEHICLE USING A SECURE ANCHOR POINT. DO NOT HOOK CABLE TO TOW BALL OR SAFETY CHAIN ANCHOR." If there is no 'secure anchor point' on your vehicle then it is up to you to provide it.

If you attach the pull cable to the tow bar and the tow bar separates from the vehicle, then you wear the consequences.
PeterD
Retired radio and electronics technician

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 924162

Reply By: Beatle Bayly - Friday, Jul 21, 2023 at 20:44

Friday, Jul 21, 2023 at 20:44
Thanks everyone for your considered responses. I trolled through ADRs again to no avail. They are after all DESIGN regulations. So they speak to component design/testing and not in-service use.

I posed the following question to the Caravan Industry of Australia-Technical Team who responded in under 24 hrs:
"I'm trying to find the LEGAL requirement (State or Federal) for attaching a trailer breakaway activation tether to the tow vehicle. Is there any document or reference which defines how this shall or shall not be achieved? I need something official, not just a pamphlet from a product manufacturer.
I've had many experts tell me the tether only needs to be attached to "a substantial part of the tow vehicle" while others say it must be attached to the 'chassis' (some vehicles don't have a chassis). Furthermore, people say the tether cannot be clipped to the 'towbar' because it might fall off...? I believe they are confusing 'towbar' with 'tow hitch'."

Response:
"Hi Paul
Thanks for contacting us.
You may refer to Australian Design Rule (ADR) 38. You can find it here:https://www.infrastructure.gov.au/vehicles/design/adr_online.aspx. The Australian Design Rules (ADRs) are national standards for vehicle safety, anti-theft and emissions. However, ADR 38 does not mention any location requirements.
At first instance, we recommend for you to contact the towing vehicle manufacturer as they should be able to provide you with more guidance.
Alternatively, you may seek advice from your recreational vehicle (e.g., Caravan) manufacturer"

So as expected, I'm going to say there is no formally defined position to attach the tether. However, I will always strive to attach the tether on the vehicle side of the tow HITCH, as that is a reasonable potential trailer disconnection point. I just don't feel that the entire TOWBAR disconnecting from the vehicle can be considered a risk of any likelihood. Others may argue that point, but if you have been able to understand the conversation to date, you are unlikely to let your towbar/chassis connection get to the point where it might separate. Those who have loose towbars probably don't know what that blue tether is for anyway :-)

One more consideration: Try to attach the tether so as to minimise angular force on the pin within the switch unit. It needs to be as straight a pull as possible to ensure the pin will actually pull out smoothly, and to reduce wear from constant side-loading of the pin within the switch.

Cheers

AnswerID: 644168

Follow Up By: Member - Bigfish - Saturday, Jul 22, 2023 at 10:02

Saturday, Jul 22, 2023 at 10:02
There shouldn't be any constant side-loading on the pin. The tether should not be that tight.
FollowupID: 924160

Reply By: Member - Mark (Tamworth NSW) - Friday, Jul 21, 2023 at 20:54

Friday, Jul 21, 2023 at 20:54
When I had a Pajero with a monocoque frame there was nowhere substantial I could see to attach the breakaway cable to easily other than the Towbar.
When I moved to a Prado things didn't improve greatly at the rear of the vehicle.
So using wire cable and a Zenith brand swaging tool I made up a short bridle attached further under the vehicle to the chassis. It ends in a loop or large eye protruding above the tow bar. I attach the breakaway cable to that.
Whether it is a legal requirement or not, the breakaway cable is independent of the Towbar. I hope never to need it.
AnswerID: 644169

Follow Up By: Member - Bigfish - Saturday, Jul 22, 2023 at 16:20

Saturday, Jul 22, 2023 at 16:20
Exactly what I did on my Pajero.
FollowupID: 924161

Sponsored Links