Gary Junction Rd

Submitted: Tuesday, Jul 18, 2023 at 22:50
ThreadID: 146011 Views:2374 Replies:5 FollowUps:4
This Thread has been Archived
Hi , any body travelled the Gary Junction Rd from Kunawarritji to Alice Springs , I am assuming it is a graded Rd in reasonable condition , judging by what I saw last year when I did Canning Stock Route , Cheers David S
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Allan B (Sunshine Coast) - Wednesday, Jul 19, 2023 at 08:33

Wednesday, Jul 19, 2023 at 08:33
Hi David,
I have travelled the GJ Rd road a couple of times in the Troopy, but not recently. And yes, it was graded and in good condition. A nice drive and It would be my preferred road to travel across the country.
I had intended to use it earlier this year in my Mercedes Sprinter but needed to get a suspension mod done first. That mod is now done so I look forward to the next opportunity.
But I won't be trying the Canning in the Sprinter. lol
Cheers
Allan

My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 644140

Follow Up By: Peter_n_Margaret - Wednesday, Jul 19, 2023 at 09:32

Wednesday, Jul 19, 2023 at 09:32
Ditto the above.
A few random road shots from 2008. We were towing a boat.

Cheers,
Peter
OKA196 motorhome
FollowupID: 924129

Follow Up By: Member - silkwood - Wednesday, Jul 19, 2023 at 11:28

Wednesday, Jul 19, 2023 at 11:28
Hi Peter, do you mind if I ask what size boat and what type of trailer (as in off road ability, steel/aluminium etc). you were towing?

Cheers,

Mark

PS: Sorry about the hijack!
FollowupID: 924132

Follow Up By: Peter_n_Margaret - Wednesday, Jul 19, 2023 at 13:14

Wednesday, Jul 19, 2023 at 13:14
4.2m "MAC" (plastic) with 70HP outboard on a DIY trailer.

It was my son's. We did lots of fishing and exploring out of Honeymoon Beach at Kalumburu with it.

Cheers,
Peter
OKA196 motorhome
FollowupID: 924137

Reply By: Rob A1 (SA) - Wednesday, Jul 19, 2023 at 15:04

Wednesday, Jul 19, 2023 at 15:04
David we drove the road from WA to the Western Macs in the first couple of weeks of June. Quite frankly it was rubbish. No it's not a graded road hasn't seen one in a year or more and definitely not in reasonable condition. TC Isla pretty much flooded that whole section and during our crossing there was no sign of any repairs being done let alone a grader at work. Give the road its due there are some relatively short patches in OK condition where the shocks get a chance to cool down a bit but unless things have drastically improved over the last 4 weeks that's what we found

Fuel was also problematical with Kiwirrkurra 24/7 pump not operational and the call out person not responding either. JC is required to cover at least one section without a refuel. Kintore on the other hand had their facility working properly which was great as we got in on the reserves in the tank.

The section from Papunya was a shocker all the way to the bitumen and certainly the very worst section.

Just a reminder on the need for permits as we did get asked once

Apart from that the countryside, thanks to Isla's rain, is looking excellent and really pretty

Rob
Rob Ackland

My Profile  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 644144

Reply By: ExplorOz - David & Michelle - Wednesday, Jul 19, 2023 at 15:15

Wednesday, Jul 19, 2023 at 15:15
Here is our Gary Junction Rd Blog with tons of info and photos from last winter. Gary Junction Rd Blog

But as per the Trek Note we publish here, this road is very changeable but is just like any other outback unsealed track - amount of corrugations, and washouts will vary depending on any weather events and how much traffic it sees afterwards that cuts up the track before the grader is out. We saw the grader there last year in early August when we were on the track. We had one day of bad weather in the Kintore to Papunya area but didn't affect driving much - we towed a lightweight Ultimate camper trailer and only on that day did we need to take it a little slower and move across the road to avoid a few uneven sections. Mostly a typical outback highway you need to drive to conditions. Expect the unexpected.

However, if you did the Canning last year and saw the section of Gary Junction Rd near there, that is the best bit by far - the WA section closest to the Canning is in excellent condition generally. But there are some much worse parts to the east but nothing challenging. It's a worthwhile drive and def recommend if needed to get across east/west or vice versa.

Hope this helps,
Michelle
David (DM) & Michelle (MM)
---------------------------------
Always working not enough travelling!

Lifetime Member

AnswerID: 644145

Reply By: George_M - Wednesday, Jul 19, 2023 at 20:47

Wednesday, Jul 19, 2023 at 20:47
We left Alice Springs on 13 July and travelled the Gary Junction Road to Kunawarritji, and then to Punmu and Marble Bar. It took about four (easy) days.
The Alice Springs to Kunawarritji section was the easiest. Only small stretches corrogations. Lots of bog- holes on the track, but all of them had tracks around them. A small section has been graded and the grader was working when we went through. Overall this section was in great condition

I'd recommend you go straight through to the Tanami after you pass Papunya, rather than take the track down through Glen Helen.

George_M
Come any closer and I'll rip your throat out!

Lifetime Member

AnswerID: 644148

Reply By: Member - David S65 - Wednesday, Jul 19, 2023 at 23:51

Wednesday, Jul 19, 2023 at 23:51
Hi All,

Thanks heaps for taking the time to reply to my query , they were all very helpful! looking forward to getting out into the desert and those awesome night skys .

Cheers David S

AnswerID: 644149

Follow Up By: Peter_n_Margaret - Wednesday, Jul 19, 2023 at 23:57

Wednesday, Jul 19, 2023 at 23:57

Cheers,
Peter
OKA196 motorhome
FollowupID: 924148

Sponsored Links