Stand alone <span class="highlight">Solar</span> Panel on Jayco Discovery

Submitted: Friday, Sep 01, 2023 at 19:55
ThreadID: 146190 Views:1356 Replies:1 FollowUps:3
This Thread has been Archived
I have currently got a panel on the roof of my van but I wish to add another 200W panel but stand alone. Not on the Van.
Can I run the cable directly thru a Victron MPPT (near the batteries) to the batteries that are taking charge from the roof top panel? but not use Jaycos controller which seem to control everything in the van.

Thanks

Howard T
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: RMD - Friday, Sep 01, 2023 at 22:49

Friday, Sep 01, 2023 at 22:49
G'day Howard,
Depending on the Jayco charge controller fitted to your van you may be able to connect the additional panel to the Van regulator. Not sure if new van or a bit older, but the Journey models recently have an external Anderson plug which delivers additional panel charge to the van reg and battery/ies.
Best to check IF your charge controller can handle the additional amps/wattage above the std panel on roof. The specs of the reg/charger model in your van may reveal if it can handle that.

I have two MPPT regs running from two different solar voltage inputs One 48V the other 72V and they happily work together. Charging 12v AGM batteries and running a house fridge for the last 1000 days via inverter.
If your Van reg is MPPT it will do it's MPPT thing for the van battery/ies and if you connect another MPPT and solar panel from external, they should both charge the batteries ok and in shorter time. Both are regulators detecting the level of battery voltage.

If you have lithium batteries then the rules may change somewhat and an alternative method might be best to explore.
Others might have further ideas if lithium involved.
AnswerID: 644370

Follow Up By: Howard T - Saturday, Sep 02, 2023 at 16:52

Saturday, Sep 02, 2023 at 16:52
Hi RMD
I have an Anderson Plug floating around in the battery compartment with perhaps a meter of cable. I have no idea what its for. Could this be for solar? My Journey is a 2020 model .
This plug is live .

Thanks for your help,

Howard
FollowupID: 924442

Follow Up By: RMD - Saturday, Sep 02, 2023 at 21:41

Saturday, Sep 02, 2023 at 21:41
Howard.
If the cable/Anderson is "live" and connected straight to the battery then you may be able to connect the Victron and additional panel to it to charge the battery, assuming AGM. The MPPT Victron will simply make best use of the panel and charge the battery. Perhaps a fuse or resettable contactor close to Battery in the line to the Victron may be good, in case of any shorting of the Reg to battery cable gear or connections.
Make sure the cables are decent sized cable as even a small voltage drop in the panel side or the Reg to battery side, (which will be little higher current than the panel to reg, would reduce the total yield considerably.

FollowupID: 924446

Follow Up By: Howard T - Monday, Sep 04, 2023 at 17:12

Monday, Sep 04, 2023 at 17:12
Thanks RMD. This gives me something to work on.

Howard
FollowupID: 924452

Sponsored Links