Snake Bite Treatment

The snake activity is seasonally with us again and the media is publishing the usual vigilance alerts often accompanied with instruction for first aid to victims.

A Google search for "Snakebite treatment" produced 6,680,000 results but virtually all described the application of a pressure bandage to "the limb". I found only one that addressed treatment for a bite to a "non-limb" or "torso". Now I know that most bites are to a limb but it is possible to be bitten elsewhere and any advice should include for such treatment. Consider that the risk of a bite to the body is more likely with a small child, a thought that makes me shudder when looking at my pair of grandchildren who are under 3 years old and live & play adjacent to bushland.

Treatment for a body bite where a pressure bandage can not be applied is to place a bulky pad such as a folded piece of clothing over the bite site and maintain constant pressure to the pad with whatever resources are available, such as a second person, or even the patient, applying firm hand pressure. Then follow the remainder of published instructions.
This may seem logical but it may not occur to some people in a flap with the event.

I have educated my family on this but how do you get to 6,680,000 recipients?

Cheers
Allan

My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

Back Expand Un-Read 7 Moderator

Reply By: Member - wicket - Tuesday, Sep 26, 2023 at 13:01

Tuesday, Sep 26, 2023 at 13:01
https://apps.apple.com/app/id765162888

Plenty of good advice here , available at google playstore as well
AnswerID: 644497

Follow Up By: Allan B (Sunshine Coast) - Tuesday, Sep 26, 2023 at 14:36

Tuesday, Sep 26, 2023 at 14:36
Wicket, I write this at the risk of offending you……. but write it I shall.
I downloaded your referenced app and waded into it. And wading it was. After being referred to sub-file after sub-file I was eventually referred to a separate source, "ANZCOR". It read as guidelines for a medical professional and again I had to click down multiple times to get to the subject that I first raised and surprise, surprise…….. it related how to apply a "Pressure Imobilisation Technique" with reference to LIMBS and not a word about a NON-LIMB BITE.

Wicket, you may be right…… there is "Plenty of good advice here" but there is NO ADVICE that I sought.
So did you actually read somewhere in that app a word about treating a non-limb bite? Or were you simply impressed with the App title? If there is something in the App then it is well hidden and thus useless.
Cheers
Allan

FollowupID: 924597

Follow Up By: Member - wicket - Tuesday, Sep 26, 2023 at 14:52

Tuesday, Sep 26, 2023 at 14:52
You’re right , no ref to non limb bite. I’d be interested to know the number of non limb bites recorded in oz.
If you want my 2 bobs worth , the best you can do is lie as still as possible and hope someone can get you medical help , failing that it’s in the lap of the gods.
FollowupID: 924598

Follow Up By: Allan B (Sunshine Coast) - Tuesday, Sep 26, 2023 at 15:12

Tuesday, Sep 26, 2023 at 15:12
No Wicket, lying as still as possible is not "the best you can do". Applying a compression bandage is the best you can do…. THEN remain "as still as possible". Even if you need to apply the bandage yourself! "2 bobs" is not worth much these days! lol
Cheers
Allan

FollowupID: 924599

Follow Up By: Member - wicket - Tuesday, Sep 26, 2023 at 15:22

Tuesday, Sep 26, 2023 at 15:22
Allan
Lying still as possible was a reference to a non limb bite, which was your initial query.
Now if you are still after some info on a non limb bite maybe this group could help, if they can’t then there is no hope
http://www.venomdoc.com/new-page-3/
FollowupID: 924600

Follow Up By: Allan B (Sunshine Coast) - Tuesday, Sep 26, 2023 at 15:26

Tuesday, Sep 26, 2023 at 15:26
I'm done searching Wicket. You tell me if "maybe that group could help".
I have given you the answer in my first post. Maybe you could do well to note and remember it.
Cheers
Allan

FollowupID: 924601

Follow Up By: Member - wicket - Tuesday, Sep 26, 2023 at 17:48

Tuesday, Sep 26, 2023 at 17:48
You’re a funny guy Allen.
FollowupID: 924608

Reply By: Bricky - Tuesday, Sep 26, 2023 at 14:13

Tuesday, Sep 26, 2023 at 14:13
Handy info. A nice big brown in the house yard the other day.
AnswerID: 644498

Reply By: Member - Jim S1 - Tuesday, Sep 26, 2023 at 15:32

Tuesday, Sep 26, 2023 at 15:32
"Snake venom is often made of large toxic molecules that cannot directly enter the bloodstream. Instead, they are dispersed by the lymphatic vessels that run parallel to blood vessels and enter the bloodstream through veins near the heart."
Your mobile phone is your best friend in this situation. That, and a long wide bandage applied correctly.
And yes, direct pressure and as widespread as possible to slow the lymphatic system down.

Cheers
Jim
"Sometimes I sits and thinks, and sometimes I just sits." A fisherman.

"No road is long with good company." Traditional

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 644499

Reply By: cookie1 - Tuesday, Sep 26, 2023 at 17:33

Tuesday, Sep 26, 2023 at 17:33
I was at Hartley's Park in Cairns a couple of years ago and asked one of the Snake Handlers about First Aid, he mentioned to wrap it in a compression bandage (Snake Bandages preferred) then mark the spot directly above.

This enables to hospital to test the venom to provide the best antivenene possible as the broadspectrum one can cause issues.

In the case of being bitten on the Torso, I would imagine you would place as big a wound pad then put something else such as a towel then wrap it heavily to try and limit the movement of say, the stomach, in order to slow down the lymphatic system in that area, just my guess at what is the best solution for that scenario though.
AnswerID: 644500

Follow Up By: Allan B (Sunshine Coast) - Tuesday, Sep 26, 2023 at 17:44

Tuesday, Sep 26, 2023 at 17:44
That is the very point Cookie. We are generally being left to guess by the "experts".
Maybe we should all carry a Bible in the bush. If you get bitten on the bum then start reading the Bible….. it will fill in time while you wait to die.
Maybe the truth is that no-one is saying anything about torso envenomation as there is nothing to say, but they don't want to be the one to say that.
Cheers
Allan

FollowupID: 924607

Reply By: Allan B (Sunshine Coast) - Tuesday, Sep 26, 2023 at 21:50

Tuesday, Sep 26, 2023 at 21:50
The EO team have kindly added a Related Pages link at the top of this page which does contain reference to treatment for a bite to the face or body. I was not aware of this information and it is a rare piece of advice. I am pleased to see it on EO.
Actually, I do have a copy of Bob Cooper's handbook on survival. I must look it up to see if the same advice exists there. I expect that it would and may have been what formed my understanding of procedure some years ago.

Cheers
Allan

AnswerID: 644503

Sponsored Links