Flexible <span class="highlight">solar</span> panel mounting

Submitted: Friday, Dec 29, 2023 at 08:39
ThreadID: 146758 Views:1319 Replies:2 FollowUps:8
This Thread has been Archived
Hi folks ..I am looking for some mounting options to mount a flexible solar panel to the top of the hard shell roof top tent with out going straight on the top as to reduce the heat which I understand is a problem . so I am thinking how can I mount the solar panel on the rack supplied by the rooftop tent .
I have got some of that plastic sheeting to mount the panel to but I vaguely remember hearing that you should not mount that to a wooden board ??
Note : I do have a conventional glass solar panel mounted there at the moment but wanted to reduce the weight and ugly high profile ..love to hear some suggestions
regards Nick
Cheers Nick b

My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Peter_n_Margaret - Friday, Dec 29, 2023 at 08:53

Friday, Dec 29, 2023 at 08:53
I have found this company's advice to be valuable.
Solar4RVs flexible panel mounting guide.
Cheers,
Peter
OKA196 motorhome
AnswerID: 644992

Follow Up By: Member - Racey - Friday, Dec 29, 2023 at 09:07

Friday, Dec 29, 2023 at 09:07
I agree 100% Peter.
FollowupID: 925205

Follow Up By: Member - nickb boab - Friday, Dec 29, 2023 at 12:22

Friday, Dec 29, 2023 at 12:22
Thanks Peter I think it was maybe you that put me onto this company in a previous Post in the past and agree they are excellent . and that may be where I read about not using a wooden board under a flexible panel not sure thanks . anyway cheers
Cheers Nick b

FollowupID: 925211

Reply By: Glenn C5 - Monday, Jan 01, 2024 at 12:12

Monday, Jan 01, 2024 at 12:12
Ive got a flexi panel mounted on top of a fibreglass canopy . Its mounted directly on top with heavy duty velcro . Havent had a problem with it . But thats just my setup. Dont know whether it would work for you. Cheers
AnswerID: 645002

Follow Up By: Member - nickb boab - Monday, Jan 01, 2024 at 16:27

Monday, Jan 01, 2024 at 16:27
Thanks Glenn : I was going to use the plastic core flute and stick a flex silicon but was wondering about any other options cheers thanks for your reply
Cheers Nick b

FollowupID: 925238

Follow Up By: Member - silkwood - Tuesday, Jan 02, 2024 at 10:35

Tuesday, Jan 02, 2024 at 10:35
Nick, I have two panels on the top of my RTT. I've used (as advised) Corflute and marine flexible silicone. I also have a section of aluminium "J" type drip extrusion mounted at the front (Corflute runs sideways) to act as a windbreak to protect the front edge ( I once had a -differently mounted- panel fly off at speed, not something I want to repeat!). Not sure if this is necessary, but...

Brother in law has his mounted with HD Velcro. Also not had a problem with his set-up.

Works very well (at least so far!). Absolutely no sign of movement.

Cheers,

Mark
FollowupID: 925246

Follow Up By: Peter_n_Margaret - Tuesday, Jan 02, 2024 at 22:24

Tuesday, Jan 02, 2024 at 22:24
Please do not use "Coreflute" (trade name). It is made from polypropylene which is a polyolefin and is ungluable, for all practical purposes.
The material that is recommended for this application is 10mm thick twin wall roofing and is made from polycarbonate which is dramatically different both physically and chemically.
It is similar to look at, but glues (including "marine silicone", whatever that is) will almost certainly fail.
Cheers,
Peter
OKA196 motorhome

EDIT: Small clarification:
If you use "Coreflute" made specifically for the sign writing industry it is likely to have been chemically treated on the surface to enhance paint adhesion. This would also aid in gluing. Problem is this stuff is typically much thinner than the 10mm recommended material and it is impossible to visually tell if the surface is treated, or not.
FollowupID: 925255

Follow Up By: Member - silkwood - Wednesday, Jan 03, 2024 at 15:13

Wednesday, Jan 03, 2024 at 15:13
Thanks Peter, you are correct. I have polycarbonate roofing sheet under mine. Use the term Corflute out of habit.

Cheers.
Mark
FollowupID: 925260

Follow Up By: RMD - Saturday, Jan 06, 2024 at 13:02

Saturday, Jan 06, 2024 at 13:02
Nick B
You mention STICK a FLEX, I presume you mean SIKAFLEX and most of it isn't SILICON it is POLYURETHANE, Well the good stuff is anyway.

SIKAFLEX is USED/was USED to stick HOLDEN Crummydoor FIREWALLS into their cars and is used for panel side fixing of semitrailer bodies, panel to frame and caravan bodies too.

If CORFLUTE is used, it has to be treated, scuffed with light abrasive on surface and then good quality Cyano Acrylate, super glue, will glue it very well, TEST FIRST OF COURSE. Without surface preparation don't bother trying.
FollowupID: 925280

Follow Up By: Member - nickb boab - Saturday, Jan 06, 2024 at 19:43

Saturday, Jan 06, 2024 at 19:43
Thanks RMD . Spelling talk&text mistakes
and forgot to preview b4 posting

Sikaflex is good stuff

I wish i had used the 10mm wall sheet rather than the corflute & can see the benefits, hadn't seen that b4 .. one for next time !
Cheers nick
Cheers Nick b

FollowupID: 925282

Sponsored Links