Henry Ward of Glen-Ayle Station

Submitted: Wednesday, Jan 10, 2024 at 14:22
ThreadID: 146800 Views:999 Replies:2 FollowUps:2
This Thread has been Archived
G'day and Happy New Year!

I was recently skimming through the book "The Last of the Nomads" (W.J. Peasley). In it there was mention of the famous Ward family at Glen-Ayle Station in WA. In particular, the book states that Henry Ward "kept a detailed diary of the daily happenings on the station."

That sounds like something that would make a great book! Unfortunately, my quick internet search revealed no evidence his diary has ever been published. Have I overlooked it?

Here's a short 2008 article about the Wards: click here
Back Expand Un-Read 2 Moderator

Reply By: Zippo - Wednesday, Jan 10, 2024 at 17:05

Wednesday, Jan 10, 2024 at 17:05
Maybe try the Battye Library.
AnswerID: 645070

Follow Up By: Candace S. - Friday, Jan 12, 2024 at 14:46

Friday, Jan 12, 2024 at 14:46
No sign of a book focused on the Wards. Though it appears this interview cassette includes the same Henry Ward:

link

Alas, there's no online access to the interview.

Checking WorldCat, the book he was interviewed for, "Tall Tales and True from Historic Yalgoo", is only available in Australian libraries.
FollowupID: 925330

Reply By: Phil B (WA) - Monday, Jan 15, 2024 at 07:50

Monday, Jan 15, 2024 at 07:50
I am aware of the diary.
The family consider it personal, and it has never been published and most likely never will.
There is a lot of difference between
‘Human Being’ and ‘Being Human’.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 645099

Follow Up By: Candace S. - Thursday, Jan 18, 2024 at 14:28

Thursday, Jan 18, 2024 at 14:28
While parts of it may well be personal, going by the description in "The Last of the Nomads", there is also much that isn't and would be interesting to read:

"...At that time many Aboriginal people were moving in from the desert and [Glen-Ayle] was often their first point of contact with the white man. ...[Henry] has recorded the names of the desert tribesmen and women as they arrived, he has noted the drovers who brought the great mobs of cattle down the Canning Stock Route and he has written of the trials and tribulations involved in running the station in such a harsh environment."
FollowupID: 925368

Sponsored Links