Moving from camper trailer to swags

Submitted: Thursday, Jan 11, 2024 at 22:05
ThreadID: 146805 Views:2099 Replies:10 FollowUps:27
This Thread has been Archived
Hey all

My family (3 kids, wife and I) have been using our BS Alpha camper trailer for the last 7 years. Kind of sick of the tent setup now, even though the space has been fantastic, it’s just not nice to setup and is starting to show its age.

I bought a 23Zero Bandit swag for myself last year and have loved it. My oldest son loves it now, too. So everyone is thinking they’d rather sleep in swags than on inflatables or single stretchers, and I’m thinking about how best to make this work. 90% of our family camping is in caravan parks.

I’m considering removing the tent from the trailer entirely and leaving the cover on, so we can fit four swags (three singles and a double) on top under the cover.

For rain and sun cover, since we’d be losing the annex, I’m thinking about getting a 6x3m gazebo. Gazebo reviews are a mixed bunch. Is a gazebo a realistic option for shelter from the sun and rain when camping 3-4 weeks a year? And are there versions that are relatively windproof? I love the look of the Drifta 3x3 which I could join a couple together. Oztrail look like they have good products too, but Snowys make a point of saying the Oztrails are “not waterproof”. For a fraction of the price, Kings seem to have a waterproof 6x3, though I can’t imagine it’s built to last.

Any thoughts, on both the idea overall, and specific products if we do go down this path?
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - McLaren3030 - Friday, Jan 12, 2024 at 06:52

Friday, Jan 12, 2024 at 06:52
Hi EpicBP,

Rather than looking at a Gazebo, have a think about a couple of OzTents, either RV4 or RV5. Placing them front to front, each awning will make a good shade cover large enough to be comfortable. If you also get the awning walls, you will also be “weather proof”. I have camped this way with a mate of mine.

OzTents are not cheap, but they are quick to put up and pack down again.

Macca.
Macca.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 645078

Follow Up By: EpicBP - Friday, Jan 12, 2024 at 07:08

Friday, Jan 12, 2024 at 07:08
Thanks Macca. I was camped next to an RV tent this week and was my first time seeing one. Looked interesting so I Googled it and the price blew me away! Nice looking tent though. With your setup, do the two awnings join? Eg with Velcro or a zip? How does that join go in the rain?
FollowupID: 925326

Follow Up By: Bob Y. - Qld - Friday, Jan 12, 2024 at 08:40

Friday, Jan 12, 2024 at 08:40
Epic,

We’ve used an RV3, big enough for 2 adults or 3 kids, attached to our alloy canopy, back when my Better Half wasn’t sick of driving over sand hills. Used the “Caravan Connector” that zips onto the awning & fits into the sail track on the canopy.

Not sure that this info is any good to you, with your current set up?

Bob

Seen it all, Done it all.
Can't remember most of it.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 925327

Follow Up By: EpicBP - Friday, Jan 12, 2024 at 15:29

Friday, Jan 12, 2024 at 15:29
Hey Bob. Nice looking setup! Probably a little small for what we’re going for but I love it.
FollowupID: 925331

Follow Up By: Member - McLaren3030 - Saturday, Jan 13, 2024 at 07:07

Saturday, Jan 13, 2024 at 07:07
Hi Epic,

I did say they weren’t cheap, however the quality and aftersales service is excellent.

When we put our two tents together, we only used the walls once when there was rain about. They do not “join” as such, so when placed face to face, there is a slight gap between the two, but as it did not actually rain, it wasn’t an issue. The main tent are has a fully sewn in floor.

I have an RV4 and my mate had an RV3. They are the same width across, but the RV3 is not as deep. If you do decide to go down this track, I would suggest you get 2 RV4’s, or 2 RV5’s. The RV4 & 5’s are both wide enough and deep enough that you can put a camp bed down each side inside the main tent area if you want to be off the ground.

If you do decide on a Gazebo, make sure you get one with a heavy frame. We have had a couple of gazebos in the past, (still have one), and the light weight frames do not stand up to strong winds.

Macca.
Macca.

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 925344

Follow Up By: Member - shane r1 - Tuesday, Jan 30, 2024 at 18:43

Tuesday, Jan 30, 2024 at 18:43
Have used one in the past, but gone away from the oztent, mostly because it is huge when packed, and it’s only quick to put up if you don’t use any thing but the base tent.
FollowupID: 925422

Follow Up By: Member - McLaren3030 - Wednesday, Jan 31, 2024 at 06:56

Wednesday, Jan 31, 2024 at 06:56
Hi Shane,

I would not say they are “huge when packed”, my mate and I travelled with ours on motorbikes towing trailers. They are approx 2.0 m long, but not huge.

Macca.
Macca.

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 925429

Reply By: Kenell - Friday, Jan 12, 2024 at 12:39

Friday, Jan 12, 2024 at 12:39
We camped over XMas which was wet. One of our mob brought a 6x3 gazebo which was great for a dry communal XMas lunch for 8 adults and 4 kids under 5y/o. It wasn't 100% water proof but it was pretty good. The seams seeped a bit - easy fix. We used the screw in pegs with a power driver which held it tight. We didn't use guy ropes as there was no real wind but we had them ready - another 10 - 15 mins.

My view was that it was bulky, heavy and took us a good 30mins to fully erect but there were a few of us so it was no big deal. It was packed up wet for the trip home where it had to be dried off and only one fit person to do it.

In a nutshell - it was great for the purpose but if you are over set up and pack up then it isn't for you.

kenell
AnswerID: 645082

Follow Up By: EpicBP - Friday, Jan 12, 2024 at 15:35

Friday, Jan 12, 2024 at 15:35
Thanks Kenell. Any idea what brand of gazebo it was?

30 mins for a gazebo is no big deal, if that’s what it takes. The Black Series soft-floor tent is a nightmare. From go to woe, it’s about 2-3 hours to properly set it all up. The main tent requires the installation of 9 poles, and adjustment of 9 pre-installed poles. The annex awning requires the installation of 21 poles. Getting all the poles in both tent sections adjusted perfectly takes time. Then, depending on conditions, it requires a minimum of 13 pegs and 7 guy-ropes to be placed to hold it all stable, but if it’s going to rain then I have to throw a tarp over, so another 14 pegs and guy ropes. It is honestly a horrible tent and I’ve learnt my lesson.

All that to say, I don’t mind set up and pack up, and 30 minutes for a gazebo while the kids set up the swags sounds like a dream :) Am even considering putting a retractable awning on the side of the camper that can be pulled out for extra swag coverage.
FollowupID: 925332

Follow Up By: Kenell - Friday, Jan 12, 2024 at 17:52

Friday, Jan 12, 2024 at 17:52
I didn't take notice of the brand as I decided it wasn't something I would carry. I was impressed with the quality though. I'll find out.
FollowupID: 925336

Follow Up By: EpicBP - Friday, Jan 12, 2024 at 17:56

Friday, Jan 12, 2024 at 17:56
Thanks Kenell!
FollowupID: 925338

Follow Up By: Kenell - Sunday, Jan 14, 2024 at 16:11

Sunday, Jan 14, 2024 at 16:11
The gazebo we used at XMas was from a large green shed retailer. I am pretty sure it was this one Gazebo.

As mentioned previously we used screw in anchors which you can put together yourself using coach bolts and washers. If it was me I would treat the seams with seam sealer too which is a cheap fix for the seeping we experience after 4 hours of constant ( but not heavy) rain.

Good luck EpicBP hope it all works out for you.

Kenell
FollowupID: 925359

Reply By: Member - Jim S1 - Friday, Jan 12, 2024 at 13:49

Friday, Jan 12, 2024 at 13:49
You know what ? I reckon you keep the camper [ for wet weather] , and use it to carry your swags for most of the time.
Maybe take an insect proof gazebo type arrangement as well.
Cheers
Jim
"Sometimes I sits and thinks, and sometimes I just sits." A fisherman.

"No road is long with good company." Traditional

Lifetime Member

AnswerID: 645083

Follow Up By: EpicBP - Friday, Jan 12, 2024 at 15:39

Friday, Jan 12, 2024 at 15:39
Thanks Jim, appreciate the thoughts.

The camper is actually at its worst in the wet, and that’s part of the reason we want to move to something simpler. When it’s wet, I need to throw the tarp over the whole setup (the seams leak, water pools… it’s horrible). And of course, if I pack up a wet camper, I then need to set it up at home again (2-3 hours) to dry, then pack it up again.

There are some amazing looking camper trailer tents out there (like the Cameron Campers Commando) but I’d be looking at $8-$10k to fit one of these and that’s outside the budget at the moment. Maybe that’s the next investment, though!
FollowupID: 925333

Follow Up By: Member - Jim S1 - Friday, Jan 12, 2024 at 15:48

Friday, Jan 12, 2024 at 15:48
OK , I see what you mean. Friends erect a pretty large plastic tarp across their camping area , but it's not good in any wind.
It seems difficult to have the freedom and convenience of swags , but also be OK in the wet. Good luck !!
Cheers
Jim
"Sometimes I sits and thinks, and sometimes I just sits." A fisherman.

"No road is long with good company." Traditional

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 925334

Follow Up By: EpicBP - Friday, Jan 12, 2024 at 15:50

Friday, Jan 12, 2024 at 15:50
Thanks Jim - yes, had considered the tarp but I know they’re bad in wind, too. I think we’ll give a gazebo and swags a crack and learn as we go. Keep the camper trailer base at least so we can put a new tent on top one day when we have the cash.

Appreciate the thoughts!
FollowupID: 925335

Reply By: zanderslot - Friday, Jan 12, 2024 at 17:23

Friday, Jan 12, 2024 at 17:23
We have used a Gordigear tent on the trailer for the last 8 years. This one.
http://www.gordigear.com/trailer_tents/taiga.php?l=en

1 person setup, 4 pegs and 2 poles. The annex (add a room) takes another 15 minutes. 8 aluminum bits and 5 pegs. Regular size queen innerspring mattress fits perfect,

I have built a hybrid van. I'm keeping the trailer but the tent will be for sale.
Has a repaired tent bow and some red dirt stains that won't come out.

Rod
AnswerID: 645084

Follow Up By: EpicBP - Friday, Jan 12, 2024 at 17:54

Friday, Jan 12, 2024 at 17:54
Looks like an interesting tent. We can’t PM each other here but feel free to email me at epicpilgrim@icloud.com and we can go from there.

Thanks mate
FollowupID: 925337

Reply By: RMD - Friday, Jan 12, 2024 at 19:40

Friday, Jan 12, 2024 at 19:40
Epic BP
I had an '05 Tvan for 10 years. After a longish trip and having to completely put it up and pack it up next morning for 42 consecutive days I decided to sell it, despite being a good concept. With what you have and your changing requirements, I would use it as a trailer with simple extendable slide in the steel tube sections so a Large under cover area can be created with a big tarp over the whole unit. Tied/pegged down as required it is simple to pack up and it provides sleep area underneath for swags when rain or sun.
AnswerID: 645086

Follow Up By: EpicBP - Friday, Jan 12, 2024 at 21:10

Friday, Jan 12, 2024 at 21:10
Not sure if it’s what you meant but have just ordered a retractable awning that I’m going to attach to the tinnie racks that go above the camper. Then swags can go under that and the pergola. But yep, setting up camper trailers (unless they’re the 1-person type) really sucks.
FollowupID: 925339

Follow Up By: Richard M29 - Saturday, Jan 13, 2024 at 19:09

Saturday, Jan 13, 2024 at 19:09
We have an 11 second camper, that's all it takes to open up, and 4 minutes to close it for one person .It is a hardfloor Campomatic. If the two people you have are pretty strong, it will only take 1 minute to close, ours is a 1980 model in excellent condition and only cost $2k 2 years ago, their are a few forsale on the Campomatic FA CEBOOK page if interested.
FollowupID: 925350

Reply By: IvanTheTerrible - Friday, Jan 12, 2024 at 20:44

Friday, Jan 12, 2024 at 20:44
We tries a gazebo for our swags back when we started but they are bulky to transport and unless you have side are useless ay keeping rain out if there is any wind. We settled on several silver tarps to put over the swags .
AnswerID: 645087

Follow Up By: EpicBP - Friday, Jan 12, 2024 at 21:12

Friday, Jan 12, 2024 at 21:12
Ok good to know. Thinking of ordering gazebo mainly for the living space, and getting sides for it. Will have retractable awning for some light protection from rain, but the 23Zero swags (which I have one of, and will get more of) seem to be pretty good at keeping water out, so if they get some rain from the side then I’m not too worried.
FollowupID: 925340

Follow Up By: IvanTheTerrible - Saturday, Jan 13, 2024 at 21:58

Saturday, Jan 13, 2024 at 21:58
Being waterproof is not the problem when setup, its when packing it up. Wet on the outside becomes damp on the inside when they are rolled up wet
FollowupID: 925353

Follow Up By: EpicBP - Monday, Jan 15, 2024 at 14:14

Monday, Jan 15, 2024 at 14:14
Getting wet on the inside when rolling up isn't something I'd thought about... Luckily in most cases, we just go to the one location then come home again, so we can air stuff out if we have to, but I guess that's more of a reason to make sure they are sheltered as much as possible with tarp/awning/whatever!
FollowupID: 925363

Reply By: nickb - Friday, Jan 12, 2024 at 20:58

Friday, Jan 12, 2024 at 20:58
As RMD says, I reckon a 6mx4m tarp, one edge attached to the trailer then the other to the ground with a few pegs/poles in between. Keep it pretty low and it should stop most of the rain getting in. That should handle the wind, be pretty easy to setup and not take up heaps of room in the trailer.

If you are sold on gazebos, I would prefer to use 2x 3mx3m gazebos. Much easier to put up, can fit them better to the camping area or separate sleeping areas, independent of the trailer - can use just one if you are only taking 2 swags etc, easier to carry/lift/maneuver if you want to adjust your camp. Just need a rain gutter between them, most likely something off the shelf is available at one of the camping shops. Or even just use a bit of plastic sheet with a dozen bulldog clips!

Another option is 3x awnings, the type that are on the roofrack of every 4x4 in Australia. Make them removable with brackets or whatever, then they can be attached to the sides and rear of the trailer and you can fit a couple swags under each one. We did this when we last crossed the Nullabor, a 2.5x2.5m awning on each side of the car. Set a double swag under each side (parents/kids) and angle the awning right down so it was less than 1m off the ground. Gave pretty good weather protection.
AnswerID: 645088

Follow Up By: EpicBP - Friday, Jan 12, 2024 at 21:16

Friday, Jan 12, 2024 at 21:16
The awnings definitely are looking like an interesting option. And there is a 3x3 gazebo with a gutter option that I really like the look of (Drifta Stockton) that isn’t TOO pricey. So got some options there. Tarp might also work for low-height swag protection but maybe not so much when the weather sets in for the main living area. But the way you’re suggesting awnings I like, will think more about that one. Thanks!
FollowupID: 925341

Follow Up By: nickb - Saturday, Jan 13, 2024 at 00:40

Saturday, Jan 13, 2024 at 00:40
The awnings are cheap enough secondhand that you can buy a few to try it out. Might even snag a 180° or 270° wing for the right price, although I don't believe they have the ability to be angled down to shield against rain/wind.
FollowupID: 925343

Follow Up By: RMD - Saturday, Jan 13, 2024 at 10:43

Saturday, Jan 13, 2024 at 10:43
EpicBP
As NickB suggested and further to my post. The tarp can be raised in the middle section while still covering the trailer and with an extending cross pole and end poles to hold the tarp up above head height. In the past I have refused to pay lots of dollars for gear which doesn't do any more than the tarp will provide, and the tarp and poles are easy to pack, even if they are damp. No problem. Camped for a few days over at Eildon with friends, a few years ago and supported tarps is all we used for 3 days of rain. All ok.
FollowupID: 925345

Follow Up By: Bob Y. - Qld - Saturday, Jan 13, 2024 at 18:29

Saturday, Jan 13, 2024 at 18:29
Epic,

This is a set up we used to use many years ago, in both hot & wet weather. If it looked like rain, we’d lower the sides to within a metre or less to the ground, to reduce the chance of all of us having wet swags. I’d say this is what RMD was suggesting? Modern tarps might be somewhat lighter than this Birkmyre tarp too?

Bob

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 925349

Follow Up By: Richard M29 - Saturday, Jan 13, 2024 at 19:20

Saturday, Jan 13, 2024 at 19:20
Bob, that big kero fridge must have been a pain to cart around, I take it this is the mobile cookhouse.
FollowupID: 925351

Follow Up By: Bob Y. - Qld - Saturday, Jan 13, 2024 at 22:22

Saturday, Jan 13, 2024 at 22:22
Yes, Richard, “mobile cookhouse” sounds a bit flash! A 4 wheel trailer that carried everything needed, including swags etc. As I recall, we had a Landcruiser with a “style side” tray, which made it easier for 3-4 of us to load the fridge when shifting camp. It was a pain to cart, but afforded us a few simple luxury’s, like cool custard & firm jelly.

Bob

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 925355

Follow Up By: Richard M29 - Monday, Jan 15, 2024 at 06:11

Monday, Jan 15, 2024 at 06:11
Yes I have an old kero fridge out at my cabin in the bush. I found it at White Cliffs for 50 dollars. Needed a little bit of work, but it replaced my gas fridge, as I get a longer run out of the kero, and the fridge is a lot colder in summer. I will never get rid of it as they are so easy to self repair. They ARE rare as hens teeth though these days.
FollowupID: 925361

Follow Up By: EpicBP - Monday, Jan 15, 2024 at 14:08

Monday, Jan 15, 2024 at 14:08
That 70s camp setup with the kero fridge is amazing, Bob. It's a tad before my time, but I do remember my folks carting the bar fridge around on the trailer to caravan parks. Not quite the "firm custard in the middle of nowhere" that you experienced, though!

Good to see a number of people making the tarp option work. I'm a bit of a novice with building structures with tarps, time to pull one out with some poles and see how it goes in this rain we're having in Sydney at the moment...
FollowupID: 925362

Reply By: Michael H9 - Sunday, Jan 14, 2024 at 10:16

Sunday, Jan 14, 2024 at 10:16
I made a frame for my trailer and put a 270 degree awning that doesn't need poles on one side, and a normal awning that has a screen room if needed on the other. Both awnings can have optional zippered side panels. That's a fair bit of real estate that uses only 2 poles. My trailer just carries gear. I've changed my mind about Kings, they seem as good as anything else these days. My 270 awning was $399 on special at Kings and comes with no poles, just a few tie down straps. My normal awning is a Tigerz11 which is what Kings were called 14 years ago and it's still ok.
AnswerID: 645094

Reply By: Andrew L - Sunday, Jan 14, 2024 at 11:20

Sunday, Jan 14, 2024 at 11:20
You didnt mention wind, or flies. I have both trailer and swag, and the trailer doesnt get used much due to the 3 hour setup and drop down, but when inclemate whether arrives, everyone is under my awning .
AnswerID: 645095

Reply By: Member - Steve G74 - Saturday, Feb 03, 2024 at 07:12

Saturday, Feb 03, 2024 at 07:12
We to we’re over the camper trailer, kids grew up do the swag or their own tent.
We purchased the Zempire Pronto 5 air tent and omg set up 90seconds to pump up by hand. Great tent, we have an Oztrail deluxe gazebo and been dry and cozy camping Qld.
AnswerID: 645196

Sponsored Links