head unit

Submitted: Friday, Jan 19, 2024 at 18:49
ThreadID: 146826 Views:1023 Replies:5 FollowUps:5
This Thread has been Archived
Good afternoon all I am looking for a head unit replacement for a2017 VX Toyota Land cruiser 200 series. there are some around for the gxl and the altitude, but I Cant seem to find one for a 2017 land cruiser VX, if there is anyone out there that has done a conversion to there VX Landcruiser, could you please let me know what brand you have. Vheadia, I have been talking to dont do . one for the VX landcruiser. I need your help in getting one. anything prior to to2015 is not compatable
Broodie H3
Have car will travel

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Position  Send Message

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Boobook - Saturday, Jan 20, 2024 at 07:49

Saturday, Jan 20, 2024 at 07:49
I have a 2016VX. EC Offroad do a module that piggy backs on the back of the existing head unit with plug and play installation.

It runs normal mode and when you press and hold the home botton it goes to this android unit.

It supports Android Auto and Carplay and extra video inputs. It also supports voice commands for directions and I use Memory Map on it. It woudl probably support EO but I haven't tried that.

Their support is woeful and it's 95% fantastic, 5% dodgy at times but it turns your screen into an android tablet. All original functions like heater radio set up all work as per factory
AnswerID: 645119

Follow Up By: Member - Broodie H3 - Saturday, Jan 20, 2024 at 14:24

Saturday, Jan 20, 2024 at 14:24
Thanks boobook, I shall have to go and investigate the system, and to find out if it will support explore oz, otherwise I shall be looking at getting a new tablet.
thank you
Broodie H3
Have car will travel

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 925384

Reply By: Member - Mark C - Wednesday, Jan 24, 2024 at 09:58

Wednesday, Jan 24, 2024 at 09:58
I just had my 2017 200 cruiser unit replaced with an alpine unit and its fantastic. . I don't know why I put up with the rubbish unit Toyota supply for so long.
AnswerID: 645138

Follow Up By: Member - Broodie H3 - Wednesday, Jan 24, 2024 at 12:18

Wednesday, Jan 24, 2024 at 12:18
Hi Mark, is your 200 a VX, as I am now researching to see what I can get for my VX 2017 Landcruiser 200. If it is, all the better because I'll go that way, as all the people that I have spoken to so far cannot supply for a VX or Sahara, so I may have to go the alpine way also can you down load explore oz onto it.
Thank you for your response
Broodie H3
Have car will travel

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 925404

Reply By: Bob Y. - Qld - Wednesday, Jan 24, 2024 at 12:43

Wednesday, Jan 24, 2024 at 12:43
Broodie,

Have a chat to blokes at GL Pro Sound, in Melbourne. They might be able to supply a unit to suit, or maybe advise of someone in the Perth area that could help you? Just make sure you’re sitting down if you decide to ask about pricing!

GL Pro Sound

No affliation, just seen some of their gear advertised.
Seen it all, Done it all.
Can't remember most of it.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 645140

Follow Up By: Member - Broodie H3 - Wednesday, Jan 24, 2024 at 13:21

Wednesday, Jan 24, 2024 at 13:21
Hi Bob I was sitting down, thanks for the heads up. they are going to get back to me as there not to sure about the VX
Broodie H3
Have car will travel

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 925409

Reply By: Kazza055 - Wednesday, Jan 24, 2024 at 13:31

Wednesday, Jan 24, 2024 at 13:31
My original Carion head unit in my D-Max cared purchased a Android unit from eBay with a 10" flat screen and leaves the Clion for dead.

Bit of mucking around with new fascia and needing to sort out wiring but being an ex Telstra tech, I managed to get it all working.

A new Clarion for my car would have cost $2,000+, the one I installed cost me under $500 plus a few hours of my retired time, I.E. gave me something to do.

If you feel you are not competent to do the job, Repco, etc should be able to arrange it.
AnswerID: 645141

Reply By: tempestv8 - Wednesday, Jan 24, 2024 at 13:40

Wednesday, Jan 24, 2024 at 13:40
Hi Broodie,

The aftermarket Android units that suit a 200 Series GXL will work just fine on the VX. It's only the Sahara that has the integrated HVAC controls which make it very difficult. That's been my understanding so I am curious to know if indeed the VX has anything over and above the GXL that requires something special.

The main things that I would look for on any Android unit are:

1. Instant On feature - so there is no startup time delay
2. Screen is bright enough so that it is clearly visible during the day
3. As wide a screen as possible (landscape) not as deep as possible (portrait/Tesla style)
4. Lots of internal storage and memory (so that many different apps can be installed, e.g. Oziexplorer and maps)
5. Android Auto and Apple Carplay capability (so unit remains relevant for years to come)
6. Rear reverse camera compatibility with factory rear camera (typically an adaptor is required)
7. Preferably has a fan built in, so that it can self cool

I would imagine that companies like brashimports.com.au and digoptions.com.au will have a suitable product
AnswerID: 645142

Follow Up By: Member - Broodie H3 - Wednesday, Jan 24, 2024 at 13:54

Wednesday, Jan 24, 2024 at 13:54
According to Toyota, the Sahara and the VX have the same head unit for the 2016 to 2018, Apparently Vhedia have them on back order but they don't know when they are going to be available. the same with a lot of companies that sell them, everything is on back order. the story of my life
Broodie H3
Have car will travel

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 925411

Follow Up By: tempestv8 - Thursday, Jan 25, 2024 at 17:39

Thursday, Jan 25, 2024 at 17:39
Hi Broodie,

Yes you are right, I stand corrected. I checked out a 2021 VX 200 Series and indeed it has the same head unit as the 2021 Sahara 200 Series. I was basing my comments on the pre facelifted model, my apologies.

In the earlier 200 Series, the HVAC controls are integrated into the head unit, but I see now that in the facelifted model, the HVAC controls are not integrated anymore. So that's at least one complication that has been removed.

However I do not know what functionality you will lose if you go with a generic Android unit.

You may have to go to the likes of EC Offroad, who may have a solution.

FollowupID: 925416

Sponsored Links