Pwm solar controllers

Submitted: Thursday, Apr 04, 2024 at 13:00
ThreadID: 147425 Views:1108 Replies:6 FollowUps:9
Ok, here we go again (electrical), i have a 100watt panel permanant mount on roof bars, running through a cheap 20amp pwm controller,
it has been on vehicle for 12 months, i happened to have a look at it the other day in full sun, the screen on the controller was black,
checked my battery monitor, it showed 100% full and 16.9volts going in, did not take notice of amps, unplugged controller and voltage came down,
so looks like my controller has failed, my query, what amp controller do i need?, is too big ok? ie if i only need a 10amp but use a 20amp,
is it ok for my panel to be in full sun unplugged?, what controller should i buy, the blue ones like i have range from $10 to $50 but all look the same.
Cheers, Chester.
Back Reply Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: RMD - Thursday, Apr 04, 2024 at 13:24

Thursday, Apr 04, 2024 at 13:24
Chester.
A longtime ago I has a similar experience with a PWM unit. The screen wasn't black but the voltage was too high.
If you have the battery negative AND the solar Negative wire connected together somehow, ( most people think all negatives join together but they don't.) the solar regulator uses the Negative solar li=ine as the interrupt, ie, PULSED LINE, in the PWN controller. IF the negative solar line is also connected to the battery negative, it eliminates the PWM action ability and the SOLAR panel will give all it can to the battery, hence overvoltage reading.
First thing is to MAKE SURE all solar negative connections ARE NOT connected to anything else, only the regulator/controller. These systems use MOSFET transistors positioned IN the negative side of things and if the solar negative and the battery negative are touching each other, the MOSFET control, ie, the PWM ability is NEGATED . Actually it is shorted across it's MOSFET and becomes a path for electricity instead of a controlled by pulses path. If the unit has been HOT then it's screen might still be OK if disconnected and cooled and the above precautions regarding negative paths are observed. Hope this all makes sense.
AnswerID: 645609

Follow Up By: Chester S1 - Thursday, Apr 04, 2024 at 13:32

Thursday, Apr 04, 2024 at 13:32
Thanks, no problems with earths, unit was hot i have it mounted in my canopy near a window so i
can read it without opening canopy up.
FollowupID: 925900

Follow Up By: Nomadic Navara - Thursday, Apr 04, 2024 at 17:31

Thursday, Apr 04, 2024 at 17:31
To amplify what RMD said, here is a bit of history. The early design of solar controllers were for the communication industry. They use a positive earth system (because a positive earth system resulted in lower corrosion in the telephone lines and their earthing.) The controllers were this constructed with the same positive earth system. A lot of your newer do come with negative earth systems for the radio industry. However, the cheap controllers from Asia are still coming with positive earth systems.

For those of you out there purchasing a solar controller, download the handbook of any controller you fancy and check out whether it has a positive or negative earth system. A negative earth system will present fewer problems in use, as RMD pointed out. This particularly applies to those controllers that have three pairs of terminals and the third pair are used to supply the load circuits.
PeterD
Retired radio and electronics technician

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 925908

Follow Up By: Batt's - Thursday, Apr 04, 2024 at 19:31

Thursday, Apr 04, 2024 at 19:31
Depending on what type of canopy you have they can get very hot inside as you know which isn't good for some electrical devices. My alloy canopy was too hot to touch a lot of the time I lined it with some foil back foam from clark rubber it made a big difference and helps the fridge run better.
FollowupID: 925911

Follow Up By: Member - nickb boab - Tuesday, Apr 09, 2024 at 07:38

Tuesday, Apr 09, 2024 at 07:38
Chester : presumably your panel is the glass type and not a flexible solar panel I think the glass panels have no problem handling high temperatures unlike the flexible . From what I found out when I was mounting my flexible panel to the top of the roof top tent

regarding the solar regulator 10 to $50 would be the very cheap end most quality solar regulators would be twice that & a mppt regulator I think is considered to be a better type of regular . My experience with regulators is those cheap ones don't last very long ad all.
I purchased a cheap pwm controller for one of my many Solar panel for my electric fence from a auto parts store and it failed after about a week of use , these days I tend to buy victron as they seem to be well priced and reasonable quality.
Regards nick.
Cheers Nick b

My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

FollowupID: 925965

Follow Up By: Chester S1 - Tuesday, Apr 09, 2024 at 10:51

Tuesday, Apr 09, 2024 at 10:51
Hi Nick, yes glass fixed panel, on roofbars so plenty of air gap.
after research i have ordered a Victron bluesolar 75/15, as i dont need the bluetooth,
$76 delivered, so will se how that goes, cheers,
Chester.
FollowupID: 925967

Follow Up By: Andrew L - Tuesday, Apr 09, 2024 at 10:55

Tuesday, Apr 09, 2024 at 10:55
Peter, in reference to the load circuit ive never used, if a load is not connected, will the battery receive more volts and boil dry?
FollowupID: 925968

Follow Up By: Member - nickb boab - Tuesday, Apr 09, 2024 at 13:51

Tuesday, Apr 09, 2024 at 13:51
Chester : funnily enough I didn't order a Wi-Fi but did receive one and I am now pretty glad I did get the Wi-Fi as it is very handy ..don't know if that was a mistake by the supplier or that's all they may sell now .

Andrew L don't know if I'm speaking out of turn , but I don't have the load circuit connected and it appears to be working correctly ??
Google said
Cheers Nick b

FollowupID: 925971

Follow Up By: Nomadic Navara - Tuesday, Apr 09, 2024 at 15:42

Tuesday, Apr 09, 2024 at 15:42
"Peter, in reference to the load circuit ive never used,"

Andrew, the load terminals are just another way to connect the load to your battery. The effect on charging rates will not differ which ever connection you use. In addition to that pointed out by Nick in a reply above, some controllers have metering in the output circuit so you can keep a bit of a tab in the current being used in house.

PeterD
Retired radio and electronics technician

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 925973

Reply By: qldcamper - Thursday, Apr 04, 2024 at 14:31

Thursday, Apr 04, 2024 at 14:31
Yes to both, OK to go bigger and OK to leave in sun disconnected.
AnswerID: 645611

Reply By: Member - nickb boab - Monday, Apr 08, 2024 at 05:59

Monday, Apr 08, 2024 at 05:59
Chester : I also had a solar controller that was faulty and pumping 16 volts into my battery so I bought victron mppt wifi 15 amp ( from solar 4 RVS at a very competitive price) for my 200w panel that i have mounted in box on back of tray back ute , not a fancy set up ,
I can read the solar data on my phone w victon app that works well no need to open the box that way.

I am not by any means a solar expert just the way I set it up including with suggestions from this forum .

Cheers Nick b

AnswerID: 645627

Reply By: Member - LeighW - Monday, Apr 08, 2024 at 21:42

Monday, Apr 08, 2024 at 21:42
As pointed out it probably is postive ground, if you checked the voltage by placing the volt meter negative on ground and the positve on the output of the regulator it will show panel voltage.

Was the vlotage you measured across the battery terminals, if so then yep the regulator is kaput.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 645633

Follow Up By: Chester S1 - Tuesday, Apr 09, 2024 at 10:46

Tuesday, Apr 09, 2024 at 10:46
Hi, yes voltage at battery, i have ordered a new regulator.
FollowupID: 925966

Reply By: Allan B (Sunshine Coast) - Tuesday, Apr 09, 2024 at 16:14

Tuesday, Apr 09, 2024 at 16:14
Andrew, the "Load" circuit is provided for connection of non-essential loads that will be disconnecteted should the available voltage falls to a low level, giving prerence to more essential loads. If you have no need of it them just ignore it..... no bad things will happen.

As to the significance of " negative switching" regulators, this is simply a more convenient style of manufacture and has no significance to the connection or use of the output PROVIDED that no connection is made to earth of the input to the device AS WELL AS THE OUTPUT of the device as this would bypass the regulation. In other words... do not earth your solatr panels ahead of the regulator and all will be OK.
Cheers
Allan

My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 645636

Reply By: Arlo F - Tuesday, Apr 16, 2024 at 16:20

Tuesday, Apr 16, 2024 at 16:20
As mentioned, it's likely positive ground. If you tested the voltage by placing the voltmeter's negative lead on the ground and the positive lead on the regulator's output, it should display panel voltage. Did you measure the voltage across the battery terminals? If so, then yes, it seems the regulator is indeed malfunctioning.
AnswerID: 645676

Sponsored Links