Thuraya may live again?

Submitted: Friday, May 03, 2024 at 19:16
ThreadID: 147639 Views:1050 Replies:6 FollowUps:5
Thuraya has another satellite that is due for launch this year on a Falcon 9 rocket. It is slated to replace the older Thuraya 2 satellite that is still functioning. This could be re tasked to replace the dead Thuraya 3. I suppose it will come down to were they can make the most money.
Back Reply Expand Un-Read 5 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Duncan2H - Sunday, May 05, 2024 at 10:56

Sunday, May 05, 2024 at 10:56
Who would trust them again?
AnswerID: 645804

Reply By: JohnnyC - Sunday, May 05, 2024 at 11:00

Sunday, May 05, 2024 at 11:00
Yahsat, in an announcement from CEO Ali Al-Hashemi, said the satellite was safe under control, and that "it was working hard to implement recovery coverage using other satellites. The company operates Thuraya-2 from the 44 degrees East position.

Last month, Yahsat announced that its mobility division, helped by Thuraya-3, had generated a sharp increase in revenues and that its Thuraya-based mobile handsets was enjoying increased demand.

A new high-technology satellite, Thuraya-4, is under construction by Airbus Defence & Space and planned to launch in December this year by SpaceX. Thuraya-4 has a massive 12-metre wide antenna although the craft is currently designed and configured to be an ‘all-electric’ satellite which tends to mean a longer period of orbit raising. That could be changed."

There is also an option for Thuraya 5 to replace the failed Thuraya 3 but this will take some time, I would't flog off my Thuraya handset just yet, ( I just sold my Iridium phone real cheap recently and bought a Satsleeve !!!)
AnswerID: 645805

Follow Up By: JohnnyC - Wednesday, May 15, 2024 at 12:32

Wednesday, May 15, 2024 at 12:32
Sounds like Thuraya are moving to restore service in our area, might be now sooner rather than later.

Thuraya network coverage restored in the Indo-China region as recovery measures underway
Abu Dhabi, 10 May, 2024 : Abu Dhabi, 10 May 2024: Further to our previous communications about the unexpected payload anomaly and service outage on the Thuraya 3 (T3) satellite, Thuraya is pleased to announce that it has successfully recovered services within the Indo-China region. This region includes Myanmar, Thailand, Vietnam, Western Malaysia, Western Indonesia, Singapore and majority of China, and is witnessing a traffic increase in both voice and packet services.
Thuraya is encouraging all its service partners and customers in these locations to test the service and provide feedback as part of its continued efforts to restore services.

Thuraya remains fully focused on recovering services in the remaining impacted Asia Pacific territories. We will provide further updates on this in due course.

A dedicated 24/7 customer service is available to address any inquiries related to this incident. The support team can be reached at customer.care@thuraya.com.

For investor enquiries, please contact ir@yahsat.ae

For media-related enquiries, please contact; yahsat@hkstrategies.com

View previous statements on the T3 status here
FollowupID: 926303

Reply By: Nomadic Navara - Wednesday, May 15, 2024 at 19:50

Wednesday, May 15, 2024 at 19:50
Ivan, can you please supply a link to a Thuraya company document that this may happen? If they are not considering it, I would not hold my breath that will happen. They may actually do it, but it is an extremely slim chance that it will happen.
PeterD
Retired radio and electronics technician

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 645892

Follow Up By: IvanTheTerrible - Wednesday, May 15, 2024 at 20:18

Wednesday, May 15, 2024 at 20:18
Thuraya network coverage restored in the Indo-China region as recovery measures underway
Abu Dhabi, 10 May, 2024 : Abu Dhabi, 10 May 2024: Further to our previous communications about the unexpected payload anomaly and service outage on the Thuraya 3 (T3) satellite, Thuraya is pleased to announce that it has successfully recovered services within the Indo-China region. This region includes Myanmar, Thailand, Vietnam, Western Malaysia, Western Indonesia, Singapore and majority of China, and is witnessing a traffic increase in both voice and packet services.
Thuraya is encouraging all its service partners and customers in these locations to test the service and provide feedback as part of its continued efforts to restore services.

Thuraya remains fully focused on recovering services in the remaining impacted Asia Pacific territories. We will provide further updates on this in due course.

A dedicated 24/7 customer service is available to address any inquiries related to this incident. The support team can be reached at customer.care@thuraya.com.

For investor enquiries, please contact ir@yahsat.ae

For media-related enquiries, please contact; yahsat@hkstrategies.com
FollowupID: 926308

Follow Up By: Nomadic Navara - Thursday, May 16, 2024 at 07:29

Thursday, May 16, 2024 at 07:29
Ivan, what was the link you gleaned that from? Can you please post it?
PeterD
Retired radio and electronics technician

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 926313

Follow Up By: JohnnyC - Thursday, May 16, 2024 at 10:52

Thursday, May 16, 2024 at 10:52
Hi Peter D,
This is where I found the latest update, couple of days ago.
https://www.thuraya.com/en/press-centre/2024/thuraya-network-coverage-restored-in-the-indo-china-region
FollowupID: 926316

Reply By: Lostinspace - Thursday, May 16, 2024 at 03:27

Thursday, May 16, 2024 at 03:27
Contact Thuraya Dubai they say contact Pivotel Australia. Contact Pivotel Australia and they state Thuraya Dubai have cut all ties with Pivotel and dissolved their contract.? In my world thats just passing the buck and leaves the consumer standing on a hill with his pants around his ankles.
Something is not right and as per ASIC rules Thuraya as in the case of any foreign company operating in Australia they must always have a local agent. The local agent of a registered foreign company is also responsible for any obligations the company must meet?
So it may well be Pivotel who are trying to cut the ties with Thuraya and not the other way round? It gets more interesting in that If the local agent stops acting as an agent in this case Pivotel, then Thuraya must appoint another one. These are just ASIC rules before you even start looking at Australian Consumer Affairs Laws. Certainly a lot of ducking and weaving going on from what I see and personally apart from lame excuses, Pivotel is not prepared to offer me anything. Their discounted phones offered can be purchased at other retailers for the same price. Be interesting to see what develops moving forward .
AnswerID: 645894

Reply By: Lostinspace - Thursday, May 16, 2024 at 03:43

Thursday, May 16, 2024 at 03:43
Thuraya 3 was only satellite that covered Australia. I think Africa is only country that could use either sat 2 or 3 ?
AnswerID: 645895

Reply By: JohnnyC - Thursday, May 16, 2024 at 10:57

Sponsored Links