Maxtrax MK II vs Tred Pro

Submitted: Friday, May 03, 2024 at 22:59
ThreadID: 147642 Views:1676 Replies:11 FollowUps:24
Hello,

Just about to buy my first recovery tracks and came across two of the most popular brands in Australia. I am looking at these 2 models specifically maxtrax mk-ii and tred pro… both are priced similarly $250-270.

Just wanted to check if anyone has experience with both and can recommend one over the other.
I guess maxtrax is the most popular among the two but then I saw the tred pro claim that it’s teeth are superior and do not melt/break even on tyre slip rotation.

In my opinion there is one advantage of tred that it has got multiple holes so tying it could be more flexible.
I am installing cross bars (not platform) so that’s a consideration for me.
Back Reply Expand Un-Read 1 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Jim S1 - Saturday, May 04, 2024 at 10:25

Saturday, May 04, 2024 at 10:25
Maxtrax used to have a Lifetime warranty ........ don't know if they still do. I have Maxtrax, but haven't ever had to use them !!!

Cheers
Jim
"Sometimes I sits and thinks, and sometimes I just sits." A fisherman.

"No road is long with good company." Traditional

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 645797

Reply By: Batt's - Saturday, May 04, 2024 at 15:10

Saturday, May 04, 2024 at 15:10
I bought a cheaper brand on an ebay auction for $100 maybe 8 yrs ago called X-Bull. Went down to the beach to try them under my 3t Patrol they worked well and didn't break under the weight. That's the only time I have used them there been sitting in the canopy just in case. Spent the money I saved on some more camping gear back then.
Also at the I was looking at Muputrax but didn't get them they are very versatile if you check them out.
AnswerID: 645799

Follow Up By: kratos - Sunday, May 05, 2024 at 23:43

Sunday, May 05, 2024 at 23:43
I too have seen good reviews of Xbull, the only negative I read was that they take more space when stacked (not as close as max or treds i think).
FollowupID: 926187

Follow Up By: Batt's - Monday, May 06, 2024 at 08:34

Monday, May 06, 2024 at 08:34
Yes they are bulky compared to the others but that wouldn't make much difference if your hanging them off your vehicle like a band aid. Mine live in the canopy out of the weather.
FollowupID: 926194

Reply By: Deejay - Saturday, May 04, 2024 at 22:07

Saturday, May 04, 2024 at 22:07
I have MaxTrax and have only used them once. We put one on top of another and made a bridge over a hole to get the car through a gully. This worked great but the Trax were noticeably bent afterwards so I left them in the sun on the driveway and they returned to straight.
They sometimes get buried and can easily be forgotten so I've tied a 1 mtr length of strong, royal blue ribbon to each one. The blue easily stands out against sand or mud and can also be used to pull the Trax out of the mud or sand.
There are two complimentary accessories that you may be interested in.
1. If you have a rear mounted spare wheel, you can buy a steel frame that comes with straps that allow you to store the Trax vertically on the spare wheel.
2. You can buy links that join the Trax together longitudinally. Or you can use short pieces of chain with small dee shackles.
AnswerID: 645801

Reply By: qldcamper - Sunday, May 05, 2024 at 06:06

Sunday, May 05, 2024 at 06:06
My first bit of recovery gear was a set of aldi recovery tracks. Lasted as long as any named brand and still going strong, just like my snatch strap and hi lift jack, 12 years and counting. Never used them, not even sure where they are now.
The one bit of gear I have used a fair bit is my Thuraya sat phone and even that is useless at the moment.
AnswerID: 645803

Follow Up By: Member - McLaren3030 - Sunday, May 05, 2024 at 07:36

Sunday, May 05, 2024 at 07:36
Hey qldcamper,

If you have never used them in 12 years, they should be as good as new. LOL

Macca.
Macca.

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 926174

Follow Up By: kratos - Sunday, May 05, 2024 at 23:47

Sunday, May 05, 2024 at 23:47
yeah.. I guess its just for peace of mind... Hope I too can say that after 12 years :)
FollowupID: 926188

Follow Up By: Member - McLaren3030 - Monday, May 06, 2024 at 06:34

Monday, May 06, 2024 at 06:34
I have a set of 4 TREDS that I have had since 2012 that are as good as new, as I have never had to use them. In fact that are in pairs still held together by the original cable ties.

Macca.
Macca.

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 926190

Reply By: Member - Lloyd M - Sunday, May 05, 2024 at 11:46

Sunday, May 05, 2024 at 11:46
I've had both the cheaper ones and the Maxtracks. I do a lot of paddock work and get bogged often.

The Maxtracks are made of better plastic type material and stand up to hard work better, I found the cheaper ones crack and become useless.

Don't spin your tires on them or you will burn off the plastic lugs over time. I have replaced some of the lugs with 6mm high tensile bolts, nylock nuts and 6mm flat plate both sides of the board. This works really well.

Buy when on special at BCF or other outlets.
Lloyd Mac

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 645806

Reply By: Member - Wildmax - Sunday, May 05, 2024 at 16:54

Sunday, May 05, 2024 at 16:54
I have Maxtrax and have used them numerous times (mainly to help other travellers who are stuck!!). They are the best recovery option, and I wouldn't be without them - don't know about the other brands as have never used them
Wildmax
2018 Hilux and Black Wolf 210 tent - for the outback tracks less travelled
Formerly an AOR Eclipse and a TVan

My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 645809

Reply By: Member - Happy Explorer - Sunday, May 05, 2024 at 17:40

Sunday, May 05, 2024 at 17:40
Hi Kratos

Just adding to the above. My understanding is that Maxtrax were invented by Paul Lang(?), a Queenslander. All the others are cheaper copies marketed by people/companies that have little to no ability to invent or develop a product of their own. They simply steal other good ideas and sometimes alter them a bit and get them made for them.
Not saying we should never buy such products however:
1. They would rarely be better quality than the original.
2. There is the moral issue.
3. If we all buy these cheaper knockoffs all the time then there will have to come a time when there is no incentive for anyone to develop a new product from scratch. We then all loose out because no new products are being developed.
This last point sort of comes back to our government to offer some form of protection to the developer of the idea. Not sure that patenting the idea is totally the answer when some countries simply ignore them. I am thinking more of import restrictions on the copies or maybe some sort of import tariff added to copies of products that are developed and better still produced in Australia.
A very complex issue for sure.
For the records, I have been carting Maxtrax around for about ten years now but have never used them so can't comment on how good they work. They did come with fluro orange straps that make them easier to find and retrieve.
Roy G
Toowoomba
AnswerID: 645813

Follow Up By: kratos - Sunday, May 05, 2024 at 21:39

Sunday, May 05, 2024 at 21:39
Agree… I too have a preference for Aussie made items.

I thought both the boards I mentioned are manufactured in Australia…
Here is the tred pro link…
https://tredoutdoors.com/products/tred-pro

I think ARB sells it world wide.
FollowupID: 926185

Follow Up By: qldcamper - Monday, May 06, 2024 at 06:09

Monday, May 06, 2024 at 06:09
All been tried before.
When Japan lost the war it bounced back by copying and improving. They had no natural resources so relied on technology.
If you were around in the 60ies you would be familiar with the term cheap Japanese junk. Now Japanese products are sought after, look what Nissan did with the Morris copies, actually taught the brittish to stop oil leaks.

The idea of import duties is again an old practice. An enormous tarrif was placed on car imports to protect our manufacturers ( who by the way copied almost every design, but thats another story) and look how well that worked out.

As for the moral issue of buying cheap imports, all I can say there is God bless the unions.
FollowupID: 926189

Follow Up By: Member - McLaren3030 - Monday, May 06, 2024 at 06:39

Monday, May 06, 2024 at 06:39
Yes, qldcamper, totally agree. We are still paying the import duties and luxury car tax on our fully imported motor vehicles, in-spite of the fact that our vehicle manufacturer industries collapsed quite a few years ago.

Macca.
Macca.

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 926191

Follow Up By: Member - Happy Explorer - Monday, May 06, 2024 at 07:45

Monday, May 06, 2024 at 07:45
All good points qldcamper and Macca.
As I said, a complex issue.
I expect that it was government intervention that drove the highly successful post war effort in countries like Japan, Germany and probably some others too. It is also government initiatives that are driving the current successes in China's industrial development. Meanwhile countries like UK, USA and Australia are withering on the vine with one common denominator. No strong government initiatives to turn it all around.
And of course Kratos' purchase is not going to turn this around either.
I see an ever increasing problem developing but I don't see a simple answer either.
Apologies Kratos, totally off topic now.
Best of everything to you,
Roy G
FollowupID: 926193

Follow Up By: Batt's - Monday, May 06, 2024 at 08:44

Monday, May 06, 2024 at 08:44
Who's to say Happy Explorer that Paul Lang didn't get the idea from the Camel Trophy guys who used steel tracks they called sand ladders that hung off the side of their Landrovers roof rack back in the 1980's. He may have re-engineered it into light weight plastic Maxtax we know today.
FollowupID: 926195

Follow Up By: Batt's - Monday, May 06, 2024 at 09:26

Monday, May 06, 2024 at 09:26
How many people drive an Aussie designed and built car I wouldn't be too worried about people not being loyal to Australian made or invented products or even cheap coppies which sometimes can be better or equal to the original. It's called progress apparently it's the world we live in.
FollowupID: 926197

Follow Up By: Peter_n_Margaret - Monday, May 06, 2024 at 09:27

Monday, May 06, 2024 at 09:27
"My understanding is that Maxtrax were invented by Paul Lang(?), a Queenslander. "

Well, not exactly?
They were commonly used in WW2 and probably well before that. They were made of steel.
For decades they have become a fashion to carry by the Europeans on their 'expedition vehicles'. Usually made from aluminium. I say a fashion, because I doubt many ever got used, but they gave the impression that the owner had been to the Sahara.
Seeing them in Oz is a relatively recent phenomena which can probably be attributed to Maxtrax. And well done to them from a marketing perspective.
I still consider them to be a fashion.
Cheers,
Peter
OKA196 motorhome
FollowupID: 926198

Follow Up By: Batt's - Monday, May 06, 2024 at 09:39

Monday, May 06, 2024 at 09:39
When I see them on display on the side of a modern vehicle these days I think to myself they musn't be a very good driver off road and they need to display that to the community. Bit different if you only do it for a trip but most are permanent additions.
FollowupID: 926199

Follow Up By: Peter_n_Margaret - Monday, May 06, 2024 at 09:54

Monday, May 06, 2024 at 09:54
"How many people drive an Aussie designed and built car"

Me. :)
Cheers,
Peter
OKA196 motorhome
FollowupID: 926200

Follow Up By: Batt's - Monday, May 06, 2024 at 10:46

Monday, May 06, 2024 at 10:46
I have a Torana but it may have been influenced by overseas models.
FollowupID: 926202

Follow Up By: Rangiephil - Monday, May 06, 2024 at 14:15

Monday, May 06, 2024 at 14:15
Early Toranas were 100% UK HB model Vauxhall Vivas.
FollowupID: 926204

Follow Up By: Batt's - Monday, May 06, 2024 at 20:08

Monday, May 06, 2024 at 20:08
Mine is the less popular UC but it's in pretty good condition and I'm the 2nd owner.
FollowupID: 926214

Reply By: Stephen L (Clare) SA - Sunday, May 05, 2024 at 19:31

Sunday, May 05, 2024 at 19:31
Hi Kratos

Just my 2 cents.

Have been using MaxTrax for a very long time, when they first hit the mark when they were the Mk1

Have used in sand and mud and without them….well I would hate to say.

With a vehicle change, I want to stack 2 sets on top of each other, so bit the bullet and purchased 2 sets of the Mk2 when they were at a massive discount from Snowys camping…was around $100 off each set..

Even though you have them, a long handle shovel is still important to carry to get the rear diff free, as well as straps on each to find them after they get buried.

If you check some reviews on YouTube, there is still no substitute for the original.

As. We travel mostly solo, they are one item we would never be without.
Smile like a Crocodile

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 645814

Follow Up By: kratos - Sunday, May 05, 2024 at 23:41

Sunday, May 05, 2024 at 23:41
Thanks, Can I just use my garden shovel (small one), or is there anything special about the 4x4 shovel (is it foldable long handle) ?

A $100 discount seems a lot. I just got $40 off tred pro and thought I got lucky :) did you get it around December?
FollowupID: 926186

Follow Up By: Stephen L (Clare) SA - Monday, May 06, 2024 at 07:41

Monday, May 06, 2024 at 07:41
The advantage of a long handle shovel is you have the extra reach to get right under your vehicle, as usual when you get bogged in a good way, the vehicle will usually go right down and be sitting on the back dif, and to make the recovery easier, removing debris from under the dif will help greatly.

The discount was a once off special offer when they started selling MaxTrax and were under $200 per pair, but you could only get the original orange colour.
Smile like a Crocodile

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 926192

Follow Up By: Rangiephil - Monday, May 06, 2024 at 14:18

Monday, May 06, 2024 at 14:18
Actually a long handled SPADE is the best to get under cras as the angle is less than a shovel.
But you cannot actually buy a long handled spade. I made my own. It is also great for digging toilets and moving ash from fires.
Regards PhilipA
FollowupID: 926205

Follow Up By: Member - Broodie H3 - Monday, May 06, 2024 at 15:50

Monday, May 06, 2024 at 15:50
I use the Max Trax and a long handle trenching shovel, never used either for self recovery but plenty of times for people that don't know how to lower tyre pressures and have got themselves bogged down past the diffs and no way of getting out of their predicament without help, and a long handled shovel of some sort. In the begining , I would go out and deliberately get myself stuck just to see how to use my equipment, and developed self recovery techniques, in all sorts of terrain and weather conditions. I am glad I spent the time by myself, because I now know what works for me and the cook hasn't been cross with me for over forty years lol. I still have my max trax mk1
Broodie H3
Have car will travel

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 926208

Follow Up By: Member - Jim S1 - Monday, May 06, 2024 at 16:42

Monday, May 06, 2024 at 16:42
Absolutely right Broodie . Some practice goes with all sorts of recovery, tyre changing , tent setting up etc etc makes for much happier times camping.
Wondering if the jack is at the bottom of a huge load of gear wouldn't be my idea of fun .

Cheers
Jim
"Sometimes I sits and thinks, and sometimes I just sits." A fisherman.

"No road is long with good company." Traditional

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 926210

Reply By: kratos - Monday, May 06, 2024 at 11:33

Monday, May 06, 2024 at 11:33
Thanks all for your time...

I did order a Tred Pro in Red, simply because I was getting better price at the time.
I think maxtrax have an edge... something doesnt become this popular without any reason.

I will see if my seller takes return without much hassle. might do that and get max's.

AnswerID: 645819

Follow Up By: Member - LeighW - Tuesday, May 07, 2024 at 10:11

Tuesday, May 07, 2024 at 10:11
Wouldn't fret on it, only negative I have found online for the tred pro was some wrote they had broken them after several uses, reality is if you find yourself having to use them often them your doing a lot of very serious off road work and maxtrax might be better, if your not doing seriuos off road stuff them maybe you need to look at your driving style.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 926220

Reply By: Member - Cuppa - Tuesday, May 07, 2024 at 08:43

Tuesday, May 07, 2024 at 08:43
I’m late into this discussion, but FWIW I can recall agonising over spending money on what seemed to me to me to be some of the most expensive pieces of plastic I had ever seen. In the end I decided to wait for a ‘special’ to get some, thinking that Maxtrax must be more than just pieces of plastic. Eventually I not only got them on a special from Supercheap Auto via ebay, but ebay also had a discount code applied to them too & I think I got them for $170. Still expensive plastic but better than $300!

I have often thought two pairs might be good, but the extra weight & cost put me off.

I have used them twice in anger, both times in soft sand, & both times they did exactly what they are advertised to do.

When we sold our Patrol & Tvan they were one piece of equipment which didn’t go with the vehicle.

Whether they are any better than the alternatives I couldn’t say, but for those who must mount them on the exterior of their vehicle, I’d suggest that perhaps they are a little more desirable, especially the highly visible bright orange versions ……. I have known of several occasions when Maxtrax have been stolen off a vehicle, despite padlocked mounts, but have never heard of the ‘lesser’ copies being stolen ….. but perhaps with the cost of Treds having risen considerably since they were introduced maybe they too are now targeted by thieves?? Ours were always carried inside.

We’ll likely carry our single pair of bright orange Maxtrax in our OKA if we have space, but it came with 8 gritted/textured fibreglass recovery boards which whilst weighing considerably more than a pair of Maxtrax, take up a similar amount of storage space. I doubt however that they will have quite the same effectiveness in the ‘climbing up & out’ as the Maxtrax do, (which I think is the major design advantage of this type of recovery board).
See 'My Profile' (below) for link to our Aussie travel blog, now in it's 6th year.

AnswerID: 645835

Reply By: Peter_n_Margaret - Tuesday, May 07, 2024 at 10:25

Tuesday, May 07, 2024 at 10:25
I have a set of these.
Bought the material at a recycle shop and cut it to size with a friction saw.
They are heavier than the plastic fantastics, but are usable for bridging a heavy vehicle which the plastics can not achieve.
I have never carried them. I find that letting the air out can get us unbogged and they would be just more weight that I don't need.
There is 1.5T on this piece.

Cheers,
Peter
OKA196 motorhome
AnswerID: 645836

Follow Up By: Batt's - Tuesday, May 07, 2024 at 16:35

Tuesday, May 07, 2024 at 16:35
Same as the Muputrax
FollowupID: 926222

Sponsored Links