100 serires auto centre diff lock

Submitted: Sunday, Dec 05, 2004 at 21:23
ThreadID: 18344 Views:7960 Replies:4 FollowUps:4
This Thread has been Archived
Hi all

I have just read in another website that it is possible to stop the centre diff lock being engaged when low range is selected in an 80 series Landcruiser by simply unplugging the plug with the yellow and blue/black wires at the rear of the transfer and tapeing it up so dust can't get in. Then simply use the centre diff lock switch on the dash when you want to engage and disengage the centre diff lock.

As a lot of you would know there are some situations when you want low range but you don't want the centre diff lock engaged.

I am presumeing it can also be done on a 100 series Landcruiser.

Has anyone done this, If so is it a good thing or a bad thing to do. I just don't like the idea of winding everything up on hard grippy surfaces when I'm triing to reverse my caravan up my driveway etc.

Thanks
japmel
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - DOZER- Sunday, Dec 05, 2004 at 21:29

Sunday, Dec 05, 2004 at 21:29
Hi
Yes it is thesame transfer but i would be VERY careful reversing anything with your cruiser...the front diff will be under a lot of pressure, and could blow in low range. i would suggest you put a hitch on the front and drive the van up your driveway.
Then the mod can come into its own, steering in low range....only problem in the bush is forgetting to lock it....red faces....
Andrew
AnswerID: 87379

Follow Up By: Davoe - Sunday, Dec 05, 2004 at 22:23

Sunday, Dec 05, 2004 at 22:23
if it is a ridgid axle front diff they are more than robust enough in reversing situations - cant speak for the ifs diffs
FollowupID: 346177

Reply By: Jayson - Monday, Dec 06, 2004 at 16:09

Monday, Dec 06, 2004 at 16:09
japmel,

I did this on my '98 RV 100 series rigid front end and I've done it on my '02 TD IFS 'cruiser. It is excellent for backing the trailer and for crawling around over rocky country that is windy and won't allow for wheel slip. I also use low range when out shooting and will cruise around in low range all night without the centre diff lock locked. It really is as simple as pulling the plug off the back of the transfer case so have a look at the lcool 80 series site and follow the instructions.
My 'cruiser has tough dog shocks and poly airs in the rear but original springs and T-bars. I got Toyota to wind them up to what they thought was maximum and changed to 235/85 R16's all round from the originalbleepe 8" Grandtreks. I've got a steel bar, 3 batteries, roof rack, draws and two spares etc and initially was suss about ifs but not anymore - great improvement in ride all round. The centre diff lock, locked or not, makes no difference to the front diff durability. Want to drive a tractor then buy one otherwise use your shiny 'cruiser within its ability and it will serve well. Like blown tyres, buggered cars come from lack of respect for driving conditions.
Cheers
Jayson
Karratha, WA
AnswerID: 87474

Follow Up By: Member - DOZER- Monday, Dec 06, 2004 at 20:53

Monday, Dec 06, 2004 at 20:53
My opinion is go for it...disconnect...but be aware that many people have had to buy new ring and pinions for the 100 rigid, and the ifs....they fail in reverse, when too much load is put onto them...like reversing from a bog or in sand....i hope none of you ever find this out by accident. Check the archives.
Andrew
FollowupID: 346293

Follow Up By: Davoe - Tuesday, Dec 07, 2004 at 10:51

Tuesday, Dec 07, 2004 at 10:51
Dozer as far as my experience with ridgid axle front diffs in tojos gos I can assure you that the front dif weakness is a myth perpetuated by Nissan owners. Toyota are king when it comes to underground use and underground vehicles would spend more time reversing including up declines (big load) at full noise 4500rpm in one day than your average person would in a year. If the problem was even 1/10 as bad as the perpetuated myth then they would be unusable underground. I have driven in excess of 30 different tojos in the last 8 years and never seen a busted front diff. Not saying it never hapens - just that it is blown out of all proportions (these coments apply only to the rfs I have had no exp with ifs)
FollowupID: 346366

Reply By: Member - Bradley- Tuesday, Dec 07, 2004 at 13:11

Tuesday, Dec 07, 2004 at 13:11
Sounds like a great mod, but why dont you wire a cut out switch into the loom and have fingertip control.
AnswerID: 87604

Follow Up By: japmel - Tuesday, Dec 07, 2004 at 18:00

Tuesday, Dec 07, 2004 at 18:00
Bradley

It is possible to unplug it and still be able to use the centre diff lock by manually pushing the button on the dash.

Regards
japmel
FollowupID: 346430

Reply By: japmel - Tuesday, Dec 07, 2004 at 18:02

Tuesday, Dec 07, 2004 at 18:02
Thank you everyone for your great responces.
AnswerID: 87638

Sponsored Links