RBGAN <span class="highlight">satellite</span> data services

Submitted: Wednesday, Aug 17, 2005 at 18:03
ThreadID: 25674 Views:2129 Replies:1 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
Just thought I'd share the latest service I've been bombarded with brochures for- A portable satellite modem using the inmarsat network.
The thing is the size of a small laptop, is rainproof, can operate at 144kbps (faster that the CDMA 1x data service, and with dramatically increased reception). Bluetooth on it means you can hook up your PDA as well if you use one instead of a laptop for maps etc.

Using VOIP, you can also set it up to run your phone calls through it at local rates- no doubt you've heard of the Voice over internet hype going around. In this case, you would only pay for data, which although steep, would be cheaper than some of the extortionist rates they charge for sat phone calls.

You can get external aerials for it from the manufacturer for indoor use, but they certainly dont look ideal for mounting on a car.

I am told it also has GPS, but all I can confirm is that it has a cheesy little compass on the case.

Pricing is a bit steep for now:
$110 connection fee, and around $740 inc GST for modem
$11.80 per Mb
$43 Monthly subscription fee
There is mention on the website of pre-paid kits, but I'm yet to hear further.

As per the dealer:
This provides a very portable, A4-sized, IP satellite modem that you can plug directly into your laptop via Ethernet, USB or Bluetooth and securely access the web, your e-mail or corporate LAN to send and receive data.
Voice over IP (phone calls via the net) via Skype e.g. is also easily achieved; estimated at about half the cost of normal satellite voice calls. The RBGAN provides 144kbps bandwidth absolutely anywhere in the westernmost two thirds of Australia at the price of a PDA ($680.91 Ex GST). The terminal has Ingress Protection IP54 which means it is also rainproof. As it is an IP modem more than one PC can be connected easily via a wireless router
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: CubCamperMan - Friday, Aug 19, 2005 at 10:09

Friday, Aug 19, 2005 at 10:09
Globalstar is cheaper and all over oz
CDMA1X is 144kbps
western half of Australia not 2/3
AnswerID: 125886

Follow Up By: BenSpoon - Friday, Aug 19, 2005 at 10:39

Friday, Aug 19, 2005 at 10:39
Globalstar is much slower- 38Kbs MAX (compressed), though typically 9.6Kbps native.
At 90c for 30 seconds, thats up to $24 per Mb. With max compression though it could be as low as $6.30/Mb. True- they cover all over oz.

From Telstra: "Typically you will experience speeds of 80-100kbps"

Westernmost 2/3rds was copied and pasted directly from a dealers email. From viewing coverage maps I'd agree its certainly more than half, but thats probably because I dont rate the eastern states.
FollowupID: 380580

Sponsored Links