Thanks BENSpoon

Submitted: Monday, Sep 05, 2005 at 01:07
ThreadID: 26136 Views:1986 Replies:4 FollowUps:4
This Thread has been Archived
Went off for a spot of granite rock wanderings N/W of kalgoorlie this weekend and while searching for the Nearanging well near Turtadine rock and wandered onto some peat bog nicely dampened by 70mm of recent rain - Straight down. The winch was good enough to uproot the only substantial nearest tree and break off and pull from the ground a piece of granite. This left me with 2 choices - try and dig it out (didnt fancy my chances) or save my energy for a 40km walk to Credo homestead. So after 11 hours of walking I got there at 9.30 to find no one home but I got a freezing nites sleep in the shearers quarters. The next morning I tried getting a lift from the nearby Coolgardie North road but no cars came. I then went back to the homestead and finding the backdoor open phoned Coops who was about to enjoy his first fathers day but put himself out to get me in contact with Ben who drove the 300km round trip to pick me up and recover the vehicle - so THANKS GUYS.
btw to those that reckon theit Hi lift doesnt get much use I reeeeely regreted the omision of it as it would have saved alot of time as it did on my last granite rock mishap
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Coops (Kalgoorlie) - Monday, Sep 05, 2005 at 01:41

Monday, Sep 05, 2005 at 01:41
glad you got out Davoe.

Well done Ben - a sterling effort that I'm sure Davoe appreciates.
AnswerID: 128300

Follow Up By: BenSpoon - Monday, Sep 05, 2005 at 22:39

Monday, Sep 05, 2005 at 22:39
Cheers mate.
It was a good excuse to go 4 wheeling. Theres some nice countryside around those parts- I will probably head back there again later.
FollowupID: 383129

Reply By: V8Diesel - Monday, Sep 05, 2005 at 09:55

Monday, Sep 05, 2005 at 09:55
Glad you got away OK Davoe and real nice work from Ben and Coops on the rescue front.
AnswerID: 128324

Reply By: Member - Phil G (SA) - Monday, Sep 05, 2005 at 11:53

Monday, Sep 05, 2005 at 11:53
Hi Davoe,

Makes us realise how easy it is to get stuck when you're on your own without HF or Sat phone.

Out of curiosity, if any of us found ourselves in a similar situation, are their repeater stations out there we could reach via UHF?

Theres a list here

Cheers
phil
AnswerID: 128340

Follow Up By: Member - Davoe (Widgiemooltha) - Monday, Sep 05, 2005 at 12:10

Monday, Sep 05, 2005 at 12:10
Couldnt see one. The only place there might be one would have been Credo station which would have been out of range. And was unatendad. I had previosly done work in the area and knew it to be unused for pastoral, mining or recent exploration. In the 5 weeks we spent on the Nearanging mapsheet we came accross no one else, So although the tracks see some traffick I wasnt confident in being stumbled accross any time soon
FollowupID: 382989

Reply By: Rod W - Monday, Sep 05, 2005 at 12:29

Monday, Sep 05, 2005 at 12:29
Good to have blokes like that eh? Otherwise I may have been sittin waiting at Southern Cross for ya for a long time.
AnswerID: 128344

Follow Up By: Member - Davoe (Widgiemooltha) - Monday, Sep 05, 2005 at 17:15

Monday, Sep 05, 2005 at 17:15
yep, going out in a group will be something different for me and alot safer. Certainly I will NEVER go out without the Hi lift again as it would have made revovery alot easier as it would have been a matter of jacking the vehicle off the diffs and placing sheet granite as a causeway backwards. I managed to winch the vehicle 1/2 a metre forwards which got me into more trouble as the ground just got softer. The only softer stuff I have seen is a bare gypsum dune (I have seen the marks of a dozer bogged in one of these - very impressive)
BTW are you familiure with the area I visited Coonmine well, Turtdine rock and Corriding rock (on shanks pony) definitly an are I will be visiting again as there are quite a few rocks and wells and soaks in the area
ps still on for l/weekend
FollowupID: 383031

Follow Up By: Rod W - Tuesday, Sep 06, 2005 at 09:14

Tuesday, Sep 06, 2005 at 09:14
Its Murphy's Law eh... if ya don't take it then you're going to need it. Yep the ground around rocks after a decent rain can be very treacherous.
No I'm not familiar with the locations that you visited. So I can't pick you up on their geographical locations (LOL).

See ya
FollowupID: 383168

Sponsored Links