Hot Springs in Katherine

Submitted: Monday, Oct 10, 2005 at 15:09
ThreadID: 27153 Views:2151 Replies:8 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
Hi, Has anyone been to the hot springs in Katherine that could tell me whether they are worth a visit and do you have to pay to go there. Ideally we would like to go to Zebedee Springs but with a 2wd and a 5 year old and an 18 month old it would prove difficult. El Questro told me that you could possibly get to Emma Gorge with a 2wd depending on the wet season before and hire a 4wd there but the walks to the gorges etc would prove hard with a baby and the full day tour would be too much for her to handle. Any info on the Springs at Katherine would be gratefully received. Cheers Tony and Dawn
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Al & Mrs Al (Vic) - Monday, Oct 10, 2005 at 15:16

Monday, Oct 10, 2005 at 15:16
Hi Tony & Dawn

we were there 12 months ago, you don't have to pay, it gets pretty popular but we all enjoyed ourselves, especially the kids. I"m not sure what the temp of the water is, but it wasn't HOT just really pleasant.

cheers

Lyn
AnswerID: 133946

Reply By: Member - Davoe (Widgiemooltha) - Monday, Oct 10, 2005 at 15:20

Monday, Oct 10, 2005 at 15:20
Absalutly Hot springs are free and pleasantly warm with a devoloped area with steps etc then runs off to less developed more natural area. Was only a few people there each time I visited (stayed in the hot springs c/p)
AnswerID: 133947

Reply By: Keenycruiser - Monday, Oct 10, 2005 at 15:37

Monday, Oct 10, 2005 at 15:37
The hot springs at Katherine are big enough to swim in and can cater for more people than Zebedee Springs. If you stop at the Low Level Caravan Park at Katherine then you can walk to the Springs. The best thing about Zebedee Springs are the waterfalls which give you a massage when you sit underneath them. Emma Gorge was closed to the general public in June/July because of the cyclone.l
AnswerID: 133952

Reply By: Member - Davoe (Widgiemooltha) - Monday, Oct 10, 2005 at 17:09

Monday, Oct 10, 2005 at 17:09
Not far south of Katherine also are the cutta cutta caves which I have seen little written about but it made a great stop as they run regular tours of the caves which are very informative and show off the fascinating sparkling formations
AnswerID: 133966

Reply By: Lyds- Monday, Oct 10, 2005 at 17:22

Monday, Oct 10, 2005 at 17:22
if you after hot springs then while you are in the area you could also go to Mataranka and to the Douglas Hot Springs.

The latter is interesting in that you throughout the stream you be in bits where the hot/warm water is then roll over and be in the cold water. I don't remember if you need 4wd to get there.

If you're camping, have a day or 3 at Edith Falls.
AnswerID: 133970

Reply By: Wes L - Monday, Oct 10, 2005 at 19:39

Monday, Oct 10, 2005 at 19:39
Tony,
We did everything you spoke about in July last year. Emma Gorge is definitely tough with a 5 year & 18 month old. Our youngest was 6 and I had to do a bit of lifting and carrying.
Zebedee was great but very crowded and our recollection was that a 2WD would struggle.
Katherine Hot springs were very nice but not in the spectacular category. Really just a pleasent stream/river close to town with warm springs flowing into it.

Have a nice trip.

Wes
AnswerID: 133997

Reply By: Kiwi Kia - Monday, Oct 10, 2005 at 19:51

Monday, Oct 10, 2005 at 19:51
I was at Zebedee springs in July and the public have to leave by 1pm so that the tours can come in. Interesting place to see it once but I was not impressed. Lots of large, slippery rocks, very little room. difficult to find an area that you could sit down in for a soak, it's crowded if there are more then about 20 people there at one time.

Mataranka, there are two lots of very nice springs there but the one at the back of the motor camp is the only one suitable for small children (shallow areas). The other springs are really great and have a lot less people there but as you drop off the steps you can't touch bottom unless you swim across to the other side of the pool and sit on a log - only room for about 4 people to sit there at the same time.
AnswerID: 134001

Reply By: jduckmanton - Monday, Oct 10, 2005 at 20:18

Monday, Oct 10, 2005 at 20:18
Hi Tony, we did the Katherine hot springs in May this year and found them quite refreshing and warm, must have been about 20 - 30 people there (in the stream and also the pool), plenty of room and the kids loved it.
Not sure which way you are heading, but we also called into the "Berry Springs" (turn off just south of Noonamah) which were about 40 kms south of Darwin, these consisted of the stream running into 3 separate pools, the last 2 pools were reasonably large but the 1st one was fairly small, the stream here ran over a drop of about 1-2 mts and when sitting on the rocks letting the water fall over you was very much like being in a spa.
Well worth the visit as it had a picnic area with bbq facilities.

Cheers, John
AnswerID: 134006

Follow Up By: Member - Julie P (VIC) - Tuesday, Oct 11, 2005 at 08:57

Tuesday, Oct 11, 2005 at 08:57
g'day - we recently stayed at the Riverside cp in Katherine and the hot springs are just behind them - it is an ok park - though our spot was a bit rough - the springs are small but terrific and safe for children - as to sitting under the "waterfall" - another lady and I reckon it was like sitting in a glass of champagne - not that we'd ever done that - but you know what I mean - there is a toilet block and change room nearby - a really nice place we found.
jules
FollowupID: 388174

Sponsored Links