Panasonic <span class="highlight">Toughbook</span> Laptop - any good?

Submitted: Tuesday, Oct 18, 2005 at 10:29
ThreadID: 27343 Views:2823 Replies:5 FollowUps:5
This Thread has been Archived
Saw these touchscreen laptops on Ebay, look like the ducks goolies.

Anybody got one?
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Chrispy (NSW) - Tuesday, Oct 18, 2005 at 10:36

Tuesday, Oct 18, 2005 at 10:36
Funny. I was looking at these today too. Even the slow Pentium II versions would be great to run mapping and GPS software on. They look tough-as!! They are cheap too... US$240-ish.

Image: [ View Image]
AnswerID: 135012

Reply By: Snowy 3.0iTD - Tuesday, Oct 18, 2005 at 11:02

Tuesday, Oct 18, 2005 at 11:02
I don't have one personally, but there are of a couple of them in use in UG heavy equipment workshop where I work. Imagine the average mechanics workshop, with a whole heap of dump trucks and front end loaders, loads of dirt, grease and crud, temperature range of 0-47, and a bunch of rough mechanics and fitters. So far they are holding up pretty well in what is a very harsh environment for electronics. I think they would do fine in the average 4WD.
AnswerID: 135015

Follow Up By: BenSpoon - Tuesday, Oct 18, 2005 at 16:56

Tuesday, Oct 18, 2005 at 16:56
I was looking to buy a couple for our heavy workshop here for CAT machinery diagnostics- the $6k pricetag put me off though. I ended up settling for a $2k DELL laptop which was cheaper, faster, lighter, better battery life and they threw in "accident insurance" so that when it goes UG and gets runover/dropped in a puddle/thrown off a loader, we call up and a new one is in the post that day. I couldnt turn that offer down. After 6 months of it being in use its got its fair share of grease, but still works fine.

Telstra has rolled out their second fleet of the Panasonic Toughbooks now for linesmen and onsite techs. I have seen them in action and the only drawback I noticed was the smaller than usual keyboard. Parts will be scarce and cost the earth though.
FollowupID: 389032

Reply By: Motherhen - Tuesday, Oct 18, 2005 at 11:46

Tuesday, Oct 18, 2005 at 11:46
Are they USA made? Possible word of caution from my experience.

I purchased from eBay a magnificent Toshiba Satellite laptop 17" widescreen, mainly for photos when travelling. It was sold as a fully refurbished and repacked by Toshiba, ex demo model with 3 months Toshiba Warranty. Through the same seller, i purcahsed a 2 year commercial warranty. I did not know until i got the laptop that it was a US model. When i had problems writing to cd, i sent it to an authorised Toshiba warranty repairer, who told me he'd ascertained that being a US model, it would need to go back to USA (at my expense) for any warranty repairs. It turned out that it was just fussy about brand of cd so that problem easily solved.

After i lost my home computer (motherboard, hard drive and all my data) i set up my laptop to continue - then the motherboard (still don't know about hard drive and my data) went on the Toshiba. I have called on the Australian Warranty Co - but will have to wait for ages for the repairer to get a replacement motherboard from the US. Hope it all gets sorted before we go away. i think the failure in the laptop is a rare event, as the eBay seller sells lots of these computers and the warranties with this Co, as the warranty Co said when finding it is a US model "where did this computer come from?" Still waiting and hoping to get it fixed, as it is a beaut computer for what i want, and it cost a lot of $$$s even though a considerable saving on buying the local equivalent new. And i still love shopping on eBay.

Motherhen

Motherhen

Red desert dreaming

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 135028

Follow Up By: Bonz (Vic) - Tuesday, Oct 18, 2005 at 14:49

Tuesday, Oct 18, 2005 at 14:49
we had lots of toshi failures at work about 30% of notebooks
Time is an illusion produced by the passage of history

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 389013

Reply By: hillie - Tuesday, Oct 18, 2005 at 11:57

Tuesday, Oct 18, 2005 at 11:57
Guys,

They look the bee's knees BUT when they break down...parts are an issue. The defence forces used these units and have recently updated them all hence probably why they are on ebay. i work for the company that serviced these units. Not the best treated of units going around. They are a ruggedised (sp?) unit and would be great for the 4wd. All I am saying is be cautious!!! There are better units than these around somewhere!

Scott

AnswerID: 135030

Follow Up By: Member - Chrispy (NSW) - Tuesday, Oct 18, 2005 at 12:07

Tuesday, Oct 18, 2005 at 12:07
The ones I see on eBay all come from the USA - not here....
FollowupID: 388999

Follow Up By: Nudenut - Tuesday, Oct 18, 2005 at 12:11

Tuesday, Oct 18, 2005 at 12:11
which units are better hillie
FollowupID: 389000

Follow Up By: hillie - Tuesday, Oct 18, 2005 at 12:18

Tuesday, Oct 18, 2005 at 12:18
Each to there own guys but we didn't have a good experience with them and i dont think the forces particularly liked them either. For what they are, i think you could find better locally in a non-ruggedised laptop

Close to $500 aussie is alot to pay for a Pentium 2 laptop

try http://www.thecomputermarket.com.au/ or someone who sells ex-government units. They have toshiba laptops for $599 and are alot later technology. And no, I dont work for computer market. I drive past them each day on way to work.

hillie
FollowupID: 389001

Reply By: lindsay - Tuesday, Oct 18, 2005 at 14:34

Tuesday, Oct 18, 2005 at 14:34
We have the latest one ( cf 18) running in a fertiliser spreader truck that operates in the dust and over rough ground. As well as 240 volts , it will run on 12 volts via a replicator that has a ball type mount and all the connections to it. When you want to pull it out you unscrew 2 thumb screws and pull it out. After 2 years of constrant work we have had no problems with it. We also run oziexplorer on it as well
AnswerID: 135053

Sponsored Links