ABC Report on Kearns accident unbiased

Submitted: Monday, Oct 24, 2005 at 21:13
ThreadID: 27530 Views:2283 Replies:9 FollowUps:9
This Thread has been Archived
The 7.30 Report gave a fair assessment on driveway accidents . Sure it was quoted that 4WD vehicles were involved in 50% of these accidents but then it showed a report which said that the average 4WD had a blind spot of 20 m behind the car ( of a small child ) but the common Holden Commodore was nearly as bad at 17 m. It was pleasant to see that Harold was not amongst the experts interviewed .

I thought the other night was a rich piece of 4WD bashing on the ABC comedy show"Glasshouse" when after a huge dump on us , it was revealed that the host himself owned a 4WD "but it wasn't a big one" . I love a good hypocrite .
Cheers
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Utemad - Monday, Oct 24, 2005 at 22:03

Monday, Oct 24, 2005 at 22:03
I thought the NRMA survey showed the current Commodore sedan to have the worst rear vision? The worst 4wd was the 90 series Prado?

It reminds me of a Seven Sunrise show when Kochie was giving 4wds heaps and then the sports guy (Baretta) pointed out that Kochie drove a Mitsubishi Outlander. Kochie said that it wasn't really a 4wd! A much as I agree :-) I wonder what Mitsubishi thought about it? Considering they are a sponsor.
AnswerID: 136131

Follow Up By: ev700 - Monday, Oct 24, 2005 at 22:24

Monday, Oct 24, 2005 at 22:24
All of the show is scripted. So the writers and he didn't know.

On TV the mouths have to flap a lot to fill in the time between the advertisements.
FollowupID: 389937

Follow Up By: Utemad - Monday, Oct 24, 2005 at 22:34

Monday, Oct 24, 2005 at 22:34
You only have to watch the credits to realise it is one big advertisment. The amount of sponsors they have would preclude them from having unbiased opinion. However I can't believe that they would have intended for that to go to air. It made Kochie look like a two faced idiot while belittling their sponsor's vehicle at the same time.
FollowupID: 389943

Follow Up By: ev700 - Monday, Oct 24, 2005 at 23:22

Monday, Oct 24, 2005 at 23:22
That is what happens when a finance journo wings it on general stuff.

Hate that show - they ape CNN and others.
FollowupID: 389958

Follow Up By: Member - Willie , Epping .Syd. - Tuesday, Oct 25, 2005 at 08:31

Tuesday, Oct 25, 2005 at 08:31
If visibility is nearly as bad in a Commodore and probably worse in a lot of the coupes around , why are half the accidents caused by 4WDs . Should we querie where they get this figure from ?
If it's true , why is it ? Are more young families using larger vehicles and want a 4WD for their image or life style .
It would help everyone if they asked these questions before slamming us , but , as others of you have said , that would ruin a good story .
Cheers ,
Willie .
FollowupID: 389989

Reply By: ev700 - Monday, Oct 24, 2005 at 22:19

Monday, Oct 24, 2005 at 22:19
Willie,

There are so many important matters that the media could address.

But they don't, do they? It is always the easy play, no matter how low it is.

I agree that the field of view could be improved in all vehicles. However this is missing the point that slow speed accidents (a common source of injury for children up to 5 yrs) occur because the child was not restrained or because the driver did not walk around the vehicle before moving. It is not adequate to check field of view solely from within the vehicle if children or pets could be in the vicinity.

So a prudent driver takes more precautions including enlisting the aid of an observer where necessary.

Most slow speed accidents happen in the driveway of the family home. This is often because the driveway and parking are not securely fenced off from play and living areas.

I guess I was able to observe a lot of good practical child care when I was young and this prepared me better for when I too had children. But then that was in an extended family where there were many opportunities to watch and learn. I learned is that chilkdren are unpredictable and they are not always concious of sources of danger. So they have to be watched and supervised at all times and especially where machinery, chemicals and electricity are involved.

I have oversimplified, there are many more reasons why children get hurt in slow speed accidents, but suffice it to say that rear vision could NEVER be improved enough to cope with small children, those who bolt for the car, those who hide under the vehicle etc etc.

Of course the journos know things are not as simple as they pretend, but why let facts get in the road of a good story?

Finally, if field of view is restricted in many vehicles (and it is), why don't the motoring journalists pick it up in their review? Has it never crossed the mind of the editor that his/her motoring journalist gave a big wrap to the vehicle/s they are presently sledging?

Has it ever crossed the mind of an editor that tired and busy people jsut make mistakes or that parents can be inexperienced and naive?
AnswerID: 136134

Reply By: joc45 - Monday, Oct 24, 2005 at 22:31

Monday, Oct 24, 2005 at 22:31
I noticed at the end of the ABC's 7.30 report on this subject a clip of a vehicle reversing down a driveway, with a child superimposed over the scene. Not a 4wd, but an MPV!! Now why don't the media get stuck into similar vehicles, and not just 4wd's? Doesn't fit their agenda?
Gerry
AnswerID: 136138

Reply By: Rojac - Monday, Oct 24, 2005 at 22:36

Monday, Oct 24, 2005 at 22:36
But is it not the onus on the driver to ensure that there is nothing behind the vehicle, be it a 4x4, sedan, people mover or whatever.

Each and every time I reverse out I make sure that there is nothing there, by physically checking ( I have a limited view as the canopy blocks most things below the " plastic" window).

As far as Harold Scrotum goes he should donate his time to more charitable pursuits like meals on wheels or the like, instead of his obsessional crusade against 4x4's.
AnswerID: 136140

Follow Up By: ev700 - Monday, Oct 24, 2005 at 23:36

Monday, Oct 24, 2005 at 23:36
Hi Rojac

Agree on all counts.

Having worked on many voluntary organisations can I say that nuisances like that bloke are everywhere. What I have noticed is that they are always prepared to carp, complain and undermine but they are never prepared to pitch in and help.

EV700
FollowupID: 389961

Reply By: Tim HJ61 (WA) - Monday, Oct 24, 2005 at 23:24

Monday, Oct 24, 2005 at 23:24
Pity Today Tonight in Perth didn't match ABC unbiased coverage.

They showed two cars reversing over a cardboard cutout of a child. A Magna and a Nissan XTrail to represent 4WD's.

Yes the XTrail lost the cutout from view before the Magna, but at the speed both were reversing - far too fast - anything would have been at risk. ie it was a totally useless comparison but put up as proof of 4WD's being the baddies.

I was really pleased to see the ABC focus on visibility and driver attention as the issues, not the type of vehicle. Even the poor mother who knocked down and killed her own child a number of years ago quite openly said she should have taken more care and it didn't matter what vehicle type she was driving.

Don't get too het up folks, there are people with balanced views out there.

Tim
AnswerID: 136151

Reply By: Traveller - Tuesday, Oct 25, 2005 at 06:36

Tuesday, Oct 25, 2005 at 06:36
Didn't see it but that would have to be the first time Red Kez and the 7.30 report has presented an "unbiased" report on anything! As for the "Glasshouse", words fail me.
AnswerID: 136167

Reply By: hl - Tuesday, Oct 25, 2005 at 06:37

Tuesday, Oct 25, 2005 at 06:37
Hi....

Well, that just proves watching all the rubbish on the commercial "current affairs" shows is just that, ABSOLUTE RUBBISH. Always has, always will be. If it's not a disguised Ad, it's a cheap shot at someone who can't defend themselves.

One thing they did not mention on the 7:30 report (or any of the others, of course) was that the vehicle was actually moving FORWARD in this terrible accident!

So all that talk about poor rear vision was really not relevant in this particular case.

Cheers
AnswerID: 136168

Reply By: Member - John C (QLD) - Tuesday, Oct 25, 2005 at 08:05

Tuesday, Oct 25, 2005 at 08:05
I thought the ABC did a fair report.

However, no one on this site picked up on the expert who said that all vehicles should really exit a driveway forward, not backwards, due to the better visibility.
Not only thinking of the driveway, but also pedestrians on the footpath.

I thought it is illegal to reverse from private property onto roadway?

If we all reversed in, taking our time and while the kids were still in the car, or the house, might be a bit safer when leaving.
AnswerID: 136175

Follow Up By: Member - Geoff M (Newcastle) - Tuesday, Oct 25, 2005 at 08:14

Tuesday, Oct 25, 2005 at 08:14
John,
I've posted this idea before, here it goes again.
A lot of the mine sites I work at in the Hunter Valley here in NSW have a mine managers rule that states you must reverse into any parking space on site. The reason? So that when you leave, you drive out of it in a forward direction.
They declare it this way for the exact reasons you state, much safer.
Funny thing, I'm finding myself backing into parking spaces everywhere now days and actually feel weird if I've parked somewhere requiring reverse to exit the space.
That includes my old Commodore too!

On the rearward vision front, my mother has a 3 year old Corolla. It'd have to have the worst rearward and lane changing vision of any car I've ever driven!!

Geoff.
Geoff,
Landcruiser HDJ78,
Grey hair is hereditary, you get it from children. Baldness is caused by watching the Wallabies.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

FollowupID: 389984

Follow Up By: Member - Willie , Epping .Syd. - Tuesday, Oct 25, 2005 at 08:27

Tuesday, Oct 25, 2005 at 08:27
John ,
If you exit the driveway forwards it means you have backed in . Surely it would be safer to reverse out because you have actually been in the house and walked in the area and have a better idea about what is near the car . Arriving home you have no idea what could be ready to crawel out .
I don't think that is a good idea at all ,
Cheers ,
Willie .
FollowupID: 389987

Follow Up By: vitara - Tuesday, Oct 25, 2005 at 08:46

Tuesday, Oct 25, 2005 at 08:46
Hi there Willie, now I'm confused on what to do. I always reverse in so when I'm about to leave I can see what's in front and off I go. But yes you have a good point, yeah daddys home lets go see him space was empty when you last looked before reversing up the drive (in my case)MMMM very good point,but I think I will still reverse in as we have at least 20 kids in our street and for me is safer to drive out. But I always do a check up front anyway incase any of the neighbours kids are up front thinking it's a good hiding spot or trying to cool down in the shade under the front of the hilux, has happened to me before neighbours child this time sitting under the rear playing dollies under the rear step bar of the hilux, that's why I now reverse in Scary sh@t, and yes i have a commodore as well and it's a pri@k to see out of. Think I will be talking to the wife tonight see what's the better option. Some people might think as your point as been silly but I think it was a brillant point to be bought up. Regards Vitara
FollowupID: 389991

Follow Up By: Member - Melissa - Thursday, Oct 27, 2005 at 11:54

Thursday, Oct 27, 2005 at 11:54
As the mother of two small children, I think reversing into the driveway would be far more hazardous. Unless the kids are actually with you in the car, you have no way of knowing for certain where they are when you arrive home. Also, don't forget kids can get a bit excited when a parent arrives home having been away for a few hours and would be more inclined to approach the vehicle at this time. At least when you leave home you know (or should) where the kids are and have the opportunity to ensure they're out of the way.

:o) Melissa
FollowupID: 390364

Reply By: Member - Chrispy (NSW) - Tuesday, Oct 25, 2005 at 09:39

Tuesday, Oct 25, 2005 at 09:39
The newspapers got it WRONG

SMH retraction: http://www.smh.com.au/news/correction/corrections/2005/10/24/1130006061379.html

"Corrections

October 25, 2005

■ Yesterday's article "Accident sparks call for 4WD cameras" incorrectly said Phil Kearns was reversing his vehicle when his daughter was seriously injured. He was driving into his driveway."
AnswerID: 136186

Sponsored Links