Dirty diesel oil

Submitted: Tuesday, Nov 22, 2005 at 19:01
ThreadID: 28282 Views:11442 Replies:12 FollowUps:19
This Thread has been Archived
Hi all. I,m back after a long absence. Don't you hate it when you do an oil change and filter in your beloved fourby oiler only to find the new oil is black before you can get the car out of the garage. We I bl**dy hate it. On Saturday I tried a dose of "CEM Flushing oil concentrate" when I did the oil change. After the change I checked the dipstick and the oil was ABSOLUTELY CLEAN!!! and has stayed that way so far. I know it will go black long before the next oil change but at least the old carbon soot has gone. I recommend the product even though it is a bit expensive at $99 for 250 ml and you use 125 ml for 10 litres of oil. Incidently my fourby is an 80 with aftermarket turbo with 175000 k's. Has anyone else tried the stuff and do you have a comment.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Footloose - Tuesday, Nov 22, 2005 at 19:13

Tuesday, Nov 22, 2005 at 19:13
Where can you buy the product ? I'm in the same boat, black oil in 1 minute after the change.
AnswerID: 140471

Follow Up By: Member - Ian H (NSW) - Tuesday, Nov 22, 2005 at 19:25

Tuesday, Nov 22, 2005 at 19:25
G'day Footloose, The magic stuff is available by mail from "CEM" Ph. (07) 32714138, Postage free at the moment with a bottle (250 ml ) of fuel conditioner thrown in free.
FollowupID: 394089

Follow Up By: Footloose - Tuesday, Nov 22, 2005 at 19:32

Tuesday, Nov 22, 2005 at 19:32
I don't advertise anything. I can assure everyone that my question was quite genuine.
FollowupID: 394092

Reply By: Spade Newsom - Tuesday, Nov 22, 2005 at 19:29

Tuesday, Nov 22, 2005 at 19:29
Is this an add?
AnswerID: 140475

Follow Up By: Member - Ian H (NSW) - Tuesday, Nov 22, 2005 at 19:31

Tuesday, Nov 22, 2005 at 19:31
No it is not an add. I just wanted to share the info with all out there in 4wd land.
FollowupID: 394091

Follow Up By: Member - Davoe (Widgiemooltha) - Tuesday, Nov 22, 2005 at 21:36

Tuesday, Nov 22, 2005 at 21:36
I too smell shenanigans I have looked at the dipsticks of more 1hz cruisers than I would care to remember alot of them with less than 10,000k (some brand spankers) and they all (except one freak underground ute) have black dipsticks
FollowupID: 394111

Reply By: Brew69(SA) - Tuesday, Nov 22, 2005 at 19:36

Tuesday, Nov 22, 2005 at 19:36
Whats the colour of the oil got to do with anything? Its the properties of the oil. Why spend $100 to save what 5 mins of engine running will do? Just my 2 cents worth.
AnswerID: 140478

Follow Up By: Willem - Tuesday, Nov 22, 2005 at 20:26

Tuesday, Nov 22, 2005 at 20:26
And thats all its worth....hahahahahahahahahahaha!
FollowupID: 394099

Follow Up By: Brew69(SA) - Wednesday, Nov 23, 2005 at 06:24

Wednesday, Nov 23, 2005 at 06:24
Thats a big stick you are using Willem :)
FollowupID: 394140

Reply By: Member - Ian H (NSW) - Tuesday, Nov 22, 2005 at 19:40

Tuesday, Nov 22, 2005 at 19:40
The carbon in the oil accelerates engine wear. Obviously if the oil is clean to start with at least you are free off the old carbon build up. But the best part is you can choose to try it or not as you see fit. It won't make any difference to my motor.
AnswerID: 140479

Follow Up By: Brew69(SA) - Tuesday, Nov 22, 2005 at 19:44

Tuesday, Nov 22, 2005 at 19:44
I may be chatting out of my depth Ian but i know a couple of people who are using double bypass filtration systems and they can get up to 50 000kms between oil changes. And believe me the oil is black after a very short time but when they send the oil away for analysis the properties are fine.
FollowupID: 394093

Follow Up By: Richard Kovac - Friday, Dec 02, 2005 at 03:16

Friday, Dec 02, 2005 at 03:16
Ian
What do you think the filter is fore

Richard
FollowupID: 395679

Reply By: Member - Ian H (NSW) - Tuesday, Nov 22, 2005 at 19:47

Tuesday, Nov 22, 2005 at 19:47
I also have a bypass oil filter but the stuff has still gone black. I'll post again after a couple of thousand k's
AnswerID: 140481

Follow Up By: Member - Michael S (WA) - Sunday, Dec 04, 2005 at 02:01

Sunday, Dec 04, 2005 at 02:01
Ian H and Brew 69,

I did some formal testing of a "toilet roll" bypass filter system in the early 90's. The oil companies told us that the filter concept is fine, that is the bypass filter removers water and carbon down to 4 micron, however the problem is that additives included deliberately in the oil brew are larger than that. The bypass filter supplier countered with "well we will supply a shot of additive to indroduce into the oil in between the now longer scheduled oil changes. In short, without the necesary additives, your oil does not lubricate the way it is suposed to.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 395878

Reply By: Willem - Tuesday, Nov 22, 2005 at 19:55

Tuesday, Nov 22, 2005 at 19:55
Yep CEM is pretty good. I was lucky enough to be given some and it cleaned the GQ's oiler out at 270,000km.

I am also using Flash Lube with every second tankful of diesel and the old bus just purrs along with 305,000km on the clock now.
AnswerID: 140482

Follow Up By: Footloose - Tuesday, Nov 22, 2005 at 20:03

Tuesday, Nov 22, 2005 at 20:03
Ok Willem what's flash lube ? Geez I'm awfully ignorant today...Old Timers must be catching up.
FollowupID: 394095

Follow Up By: Willem - Tuesday, Nov 22, 2005 at 20:23

Tuesday, Nov 22, 2005 at 20:23
Jim

Reddish liquid in a plastic container sold everywhere. Started off as additive for cars using Super Petrol for conversion to Unleaded. Now used for most engines. Upper cylinder lubricant or something like that. Don't ask me the chemical qualities for I too have Old Timers LOL
FollowupID: 394098

Follow Up By: Footloose - Tuesday, Nov 22, 2005 at 20:26

Tuesday, Nov 22, 2005 at 20:26
Willem, thanks for that mate. The moment I saw what you wrote I recognized it as I use some in the old ride on here. Didn't know it was useful with diesel...thats very interesting.
FollowupID: 394100

Follow Up By: Willem - Tuesday, Nov 22, 2005 at 20:37

Tuesday, Nov 22, 2005 at 20:37
Jim The stuff for diesels is marked so. Must have slightly different properties.
FollowupID: 394102

Follow Up By: Exploder - Tuesday, Nov 22, 2005 at 20:38

Tuesday, Nov 22, 2005 at 20:38
It contains a mix of
Kerosene and
Alkyl Phosphate

I think?

FollowupID: 394104

Follow Up By: Footloose - Tuesday, Nov 22, 2005 at 20:44

Tuesday, Nov 22, 2005 at 20:44
Thanks guys, I will chase up all these new fangled additives etc. The old bus has just over 200K on her now, so am starting to think maybe my next trip might not be by myself :))
FollowupID: 394105

Follow Up By: muzzgit (WA) - Wednesday, Nov 23, 2005 at 01:09

Wednesday, Nov 23, 2005 at 01:09
Kerosene ?????

Are you sure ?????

Kerosene is used as a cutting aid in some industries !!!!!

I may be wrong and will stand corrected. Maybe I should have gone to the local garage and checked on a bottle before I shot off !!!!!
FollowupID: 394135

Reply By: kesh - Wednesday, Nov 23, 2005 at 08:28

Wednesday, Nov 23, 2005 at 08:28
Here's a different slant on the same problem. I have an old (1976) diesel Landy, which when I took the rocker cover off to check the valve clearence had a heap of sludge inside. I had read about the CEM product and thought, well its got to be a solvent of some sort, so is there anything on the market to replicate it?
Thinking not a lot to lose, I drained the oil and replaced with enough oil to show on the dipstick to which I had added a container of that $2 aerosol degreaser available at el cheapo stores.
Ran the motor at a reasonably high idle for about 45mins. then drained the oil out. It came out a hell of a lot thicker than when it went in. Replaced the oil filter, refilled with 15-40 then took the rocker cover off again. Surprise! - clean as a whistle, no sign of anything except clean metal. This was about a couple of years ago and the oil still stays clean relative to what it was like.
I actually passed this info. on to Willem in a response to a Q. he had (he may have been Williewag then)
Its probably only lateral thinking, but it may also prove what has long been said "there is nothing new under the sun"
the kesh
AnswerID: 140545

Follow Up By: Member - Michael S (WA) - Sunday, Dec 04, 2005 at 02:08

Sunday, Dec 04, 2005 at 02:08
Kesh and all,

Years ago, I was taught to flush the engine with a mixture of 50/50 clean engine oil and kerosene. It worked in motor bikes and petrol Land Rovers, we did this over many years and many, many miles of hard driving. I too noticed the sludge and metal fillings in the discarded flush. Perhaps this will work in a diesel, and be cheaper and easier that other additives to the fuel and oil.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 395879

Reply By: blown4by - Wednesday, Nov 23, 2005 at 10:00

Wednesday, Nov 23, 2005 at 10:00
If the oil is not black you want to start to worry. That is what is supposed to do! The black is the contaminants from the combustion process held in suspension. All you need to worry about is that the oil hasn't lost enough of it's additive "package" to continue to do it's job of lubricating the engine by keeping the wearing components apart by the time you do an oil change. As long as you change the oil at the recommended intervals and use a reputable brand of the correct grade oil, any further additional additives are unecessary and only result in higher running costs. I would be worried that a product that has the detergent ability of the one you mention could do other long term damage to items such as bearing shell overlay material, copper, bronze bushings, aluminium, etc
AnswerID: 140562

Reply By: myfourby - Wednesday, Nov 23, 2005 at 13:05

Wednesday, Nov 23, 2005 at 13:05
I too looked into this "amazing" product - as my lux's oil is always black - and asked a mate of mine who is a marine mechanic. - His reply -> not a good idea - sure the engine will be clean afterwards - but to get it clean - all the crap in the engine that has been sitting there dormant - all of a sudden gets sucked through the motor and can do more damage.

I have let mine sit! - If it aint broke - don't fix it.

Interestingly - one of the "rave reviews" of the product at the time was that the mechanic who rebuilt the motor shortly after someone used the CEM product - couldn't believe how clean the engine was for its age. - My thoughts at the time were -hmmm - why did the engine need a rebuild - perhaps it wouldn't have needed a rebuild at all if they hadn't used the product in the first place!

-myfourby
AnswerID: 140605

Reply By: brd - Wednesday, Nov 23, 2005 at 15:10

Wednesday, Nov 23, 2005 at 15:10
I am a firm believer that this forum should not be used as a selling tool. However, as supplier of the Flushing Oil Concentrate, I do need to correct some mis-information which could damage our reputation. I will also attempt to clarify the sludge/soot isue.
1. Our product is based on a purpose built, specific detergent in a lube oil carrier. It has no materials compatability problems with seals, O-rings, bearing materials or other. Importantly, it is not, as suggested, a solvent or degreaser, for some very good reasons...seal and O-ring damage could result; loss of oil viscosity could cause excessive wear; a crankcase explosion could occur.
2. Black filthy oil is NOT OK. Pre-combustion 4x4 diesels are high soot producers, compared to direct injection types. Black oil becomes a problem when it stains your hands. Clearly it can't keep the engine clean, can it? So sludge and piston ring fouling follow at some stage. It is a serious problem that can cause low (or excessive) oil pressure; lubrication starvation; the oil can become so thickened that it solidifies in the sump; chronic over-heating commonly results. (Few people realize that one of the oil's 5 duties is to provide sufficient cooling flow.)The sludge problem costs $millions a year, but it is avoidable.
3. Too clean? OLDER PETROL engines should not use the Flush, since in many of them, carbon pack out around worn rings can compensate for excessive wear. Many people identify with this. Diesels engines, however, specify a high detergent oil to control piston ring deposits. If fouling occurs compression drops as the rings progressively jam. Fortunately in most cases, wear is still within servicable limits. The symptoms are similar to a worn engine, and many are rebuilt at this stage.
4. Cause a rebuild? Many customers use our Flush as a last resort to postpone a rebuild, and while our success rate is above 90%, clearly if sludge is so severe that oil flow is inadequate, engine damage may have already resulted, before our product is used. We have engines running well many years after postponing a rebuild. We have some that are rebuilt after a flush. And we have some that failed just before doing a flush. We are dealing with used (mainly problem) engines. Any suggestion of our Flush causing a rebuild is quite reckless.

I hope this has been useful background information on the subject, and satisfactorally corrects the mis-information in some of the threads.

AnswerID: 140622

Follow Up By: kesh - Wednesday, Nov 23, 2005 at 18:25

Wednesday, Nov 23, 2005 at 18:25
Brd.
First, I think you should correctly identify yourself if you are the major supplier/ distributor of this product.
Second, engine flushing products are not new, they go back about as far as the original internal combustion engine.
Third, This product also claims to improve compression by removing cylinder glaze. This means an abrasive compound is incorporated in your product. (omo?)
Fourth, whether petrol or diesel, all engines require compression pressure to function correctly. Piston rings are designed to do two things only. a/ to maintain a piston/cylinder seal, and b/ control oil bypass to the combustion chamber to control excess oil consumption. To claim that diesels require "less fouled piston rings" is quite erroneous, after all, petrol engines develop far higher bmep's than their diesel counterparts.
Finally, for all the engines that failed "just before doing a flush" Well it says it all.
Thanks for not trying to sell your product brd.
FollowupID: 394281

Reply By: Member - Ian H (NSW) - Wednesday, Nov 23, 2005 at 18:50

Wednesday, Nov 23, 2005 at 18:50
Sorry to have opened a can of worms. All I wanted to do was share my experience with the whole forum. I will still post the results after 2k Kms for those who have an open mind.
AnswerID: 140663

Reply By: brd - Thursday, Nov 24, 2005 at 12:41

Thursday, Nov 24, 2005 at 12:41
Kesh
The point of my response, as supplier of the Flushing Oil Concentrate was to correct some inaccurate comment and provide background information to the problem under discussion. If you would rather not hear supplier comment, then blame those who provide inaccurate or mischiefous comment. Like anyone who has built a business over 21 years, we have a solid ethical base, and take offence at suggestions otherwise.
To address your other comments, our Flush can remove bore glaze, although it is not our first choice in most cases. It is not an abrasive (old school remedy). Bore glaze is a condition where carbon deposits fill up the cross hatch grooves on the bore, to produce a glassy smooth finish. The glaze can be safely removed, without abrasives, to re-expose the intact cross hatch. Contrast this to bore polish, which is a wear condition caused by the abrasive action of carbon build up on piston top lands. It can be prevented, but not corrected by other than a rebuild.
I made the point that diesel performance drops off markedly when piston ring fouling occurs. With typical 4x4 diesels that usually occurs before wear becomes critical.
In practice, many of our customers approach us as a last ditch option to an $8000 odd rebuild. Historically, our success rate is above 90%, which reinforces my last statement.
Perhaps it was remiss of me not to include my details earlier from the point of credibility, but there may be those who would object to that as advertising. For your interest I supply them below.
Brid Walker (General Manager)
COST EFFECTIVE MAINTENANCE
60 Formation St WACOL QLD 4076
Ph (07) 3271 4138
AnswerID: 140795

Follow Up By: madCrow - Friday, Dec 02, 2005 at 00:57

Friday, Dec 02, 2005 at 00:57
Hi brd,
this is a late follow up question to u on the topic of flushing engines notably diesel.
Anyway i drive an '03 4.2LTD Patrol, it's done just over 55000k's, serviced ever 5000k's, is using a product like Flush a good cautionary thing to consider; as I assume there won't be a great deal of sludge build up in the engine yet?

Your advice would be gratefully appreciated

madCrow
FollowupID: 395667

Sponsored Links