in car navigation

Submitted: Thursday, Dec 29, 2005 at 09:53
ThreadID: 29229 Views:2234 Replies:4 FollowUps:3
This Thread has been Archived
Hi all,I am looking for info on setting up remote screen in my 80 series.I am currently running toshiba satellite with trackranger & gps mouse & natmap raster.
Questions I would like to ask, is trackranger compatiable with touch screens? How do I hook up to another monitor? With lap top hidden away,can how do you type in way points etc? Does any body have ideas to set up say 10" srceen in the cruiser.
Used for first time the other day with laptop on wife's lap not real comfortable,and managed to navigate our way through the forrestries and tracks night and day to Kingaroy and back to Gympie using different routes without any problems, but have still have a large learning curve to hurdle to use trackranger to its extent. Any help will be much appreciated.
Thanks Ray.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: roofscooter2 - Thursday, Dec 29, 2005 at 10:38

Thursday, Dec 29, 2005 at 10:38
hi raazorj,you could go to ebay ,search for lilliput 7" touch screen they are said to be ideal.or you could do a search of brash imports .com.au or could search archives in oz explorer site type in lilliput or touch screens .not much help with other as i am still in early stage also.bob.
AnswerID: 145865

Follow Up By: raazorj - Thursday, Dec 29, 2005 at 11:01

Thursday, Dec 29, 2005 at 11:01
Thanks roofscooter2 your help has not gone unnoticed.Ray
FollowupID: 399369

Reply By: John Gaunt - Thursday, Dec 29, 2005 at 11:59

Thursday, Dec 29, 2005 at 11:59
While we are on the subject of screens, is it possible to hook a reversing camera and mapping system to the same screen.

I intend to install a reversing camera on the tojo and like you currently have all the mapping software in the laptop.

Would be nice to get one largish screen to do both Jobs.

John G
AnswerID: 145869

Follow Up By: Bonz (Vic) - Friday, Dec 30, 2005 at 22:57

Friday, Dec 30, 2005 at 22:57
John, Many screens have multiple inputs, if you want to monitor several things then get one with two or more inputs (dya get it, monitor??)
Time is an illusion produced by the passage of history

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 399585

Reply By: Member - Garth (WA) - Thursday, Dec 29, 2005 at 12:50

Thursday, Dec 29, 2005 at 12:50
Ray,
You can probably search the archives of this forum as there has been quite a bit of discussion over the years about in car nav setups. A number of people have done some really interesting and clever things. I have the Lilliput 7" screen mentioned earlier. There is a touchscreen version as well. It is available from a reseller on ebay and mine was delivered in 4 days. My setup is pretty simple: The laptop lives under the passengers seat, the screen is mounted behind the gear shift (Prado). I use a wireless mouse to interact with the laptop. The PC (an old clunker) runs Win XP and I use the on screen keyboard available in XP If I ever want to type stuff in.

The Lilliput unit has multiple inputs (it comes with a remote control). I have a reversing camera attached to it (camera from Jaycar) as well as the laptop.

There are a number of different size screens available and some people have fitted the units using an in dash unit so that the screens disappears into the console when not in use. Search ebay for lilliput.
regards
Garth
AnswerID: 145874

Follow Up By: raazorj - Friday, Dec 30, 2005 at 10:14

Friday, Dec 30, 2005 at 10:14
Hey thanks Garth,some very useful info. All the best for the new year.
Ray.
FollowupID: 399496

Reply By: Lorne - Friday, Dec 30, 2005 at 21:21

Friday, Dec 30, 2005 at 21:21
Hi
Try these sites, some interesting projects that might help you

http://www.happyg.mine.nu/carpc/index.html

http://www.mp3car.com/

http://www.gpsaustralia.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=32

Lorne.....

AnswerID: 146033

Sponsored Links