<span class="highlight">hiclones</span>

Submitted: Sunday, Jul 16, 2006 at 16:40
ThreadID: 35881 Views:3005 Replies:15 FollowUps:20
This Thread has been Archived
I was wondering if any one has fitted hiclones to a GU Patrol 4.2TD, if so have they improved the fuel ecomony? How many have you put in? Are they worth buying or a waste of money?

Cheers Kayne
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Omaroo (NSW) - Sunday, Jul 16, 2006 at 16:50

Sunday, Jul 16, 2006 at 16:50
Kayne - welcome to the forum!

I'm welcoming you because you must be new. The question you have asked is probably the most hotly, uhmm... "debated".... no... that's not the word.... "ridiculed" (is that better? yes.. I think so) topic on every 4WD forum - so if you'd been around you would have seen the firefight.

Do a search (top of the screen) for the word "hiclone" to find out just how many times this question has been asked - and what the responses generally are.

Have fun!
Chris
AnswerID: 183775

Follow Up By: kayno - Sunday, Jul 16, 2006 at 17:54

Sunday, Jul 16, 2006 at 17:54
Hi Chris, Yah i am just a new recruit, i found alot of interesting information on this forum, i had trouble with a aftermarket turbo timer fitting it to a Gu patrol and have read that many other people have had the same problem. After lots of reading i have many solutions to the problem. I typed in hiclone and yes it seems that many things have been said about it also. Will have to do some reading.

Thanks
Kayne
FollowupID: 440415

Reply By: Member No 1- Sunday, Jul 16, 2006 at 16:55

Sunday, Jul 16, 2006 at 16:55
if you rit a fitch!, Hiclone! and all the other fuel saving devices you seee advertised on the net, you should make enough petrol to sell to the refineries...so belive what you will

better still fit one and then you can tell us all what we already know....
AnswerID: 183776

Reply By: GoneTroppo Member (FNQ) - Sunday, Jul 16, 2006 at 17:06

Sunday, Jul 16, 2006 at 17:06
Back in the mid seveties one of the mags I think it was Wheels did an excersise of fitting (theoretically) every know fuel saving device including water injection.
Does anyone remember Water injection and the claims made?

Anyway the upshot was that by adding up the 5% 10% 3% etc savings the car actuallly produced fuel rather than using it.

Snake oil salesmen will always be around.
AnswerID: 183782

Follow Up By: Member - Omaroo (NSW) - Monday, Jul 17, 2006 at 09:15

Monday, Jul 17, 2006 at 09:15
Water injection claims? I run it in a couple of my cars - both running older electronic injection systems (Bosch L-Jetronic) and early Garret T3 turbos putting out nearly 20 pounds of boost at top end. Some high-compression turbo engines have to run water injection to stop pre-detonation with lower octane fuels. It's a necessity - not a mere claim...
FollowupID: 440495

Reply By: nowimnumberone - Sunday, Jul 16, 2006 at 17:21

Sunday, Jul 16, 2006 at 17:21
i read about hiclone and they say 10% fuel saving.
so i fitted 11 and now need a long range tank because my jackaroo is now producing more fuel than it uses
cheers and good luck
AnswerID: 183786

Follow Up By: F4Phantom - Sunday, Jul 16, 2006 at 18:02

Sunday, Jul 16, 2006 at 18:02
you better make sure people know you making a humorus comment by putting (hc) at the end of the joke, i met the hyclone guy at the motor show. he says he put 12 hyclones on his 3.5l v8 rover. 6 in intake, 6 in exhaust, says he gets 35mpg. (hc)
FollowupID: 440417

Follow Up By: nowimnumberone - Sunday, Jul 16, 2006 at 18:50

Sunday, Jul 16, 2006 at 18:50
but im not making a (hc)
its all 100% truth i now allow the neighbours one day at a time to take advantage of the free fuel(im not the type to charge for freebies).
cheers
FollowupID: 440423

Reply By: rodeonut - Sunday, Jul 16, 2006 at 17:21

Sunday, Jul 16, 2006 at 17:21
I fitted one to my 98 2.8TD Rodeo bout 2 years ago after much convincing by a mate, dont notice much improvement in fuel ecomony but from driving tests i did before and after fitting, there is a considerable amount of increrased tourque and less turbo lag, im even considering fitting another before the turbo. I took it out a while back to see if i noticed a difference and was like driving a different car! i used to think they were rubbish but now i thinks its a 160 bucks well spent
AnswerID: 183787

Follow Up By: Member - Willie , Epping .Syd. - Sunday, Jul 16, 2006 at 17:28

Sunday, Jul 16, 2006 at 17:28
oh really ?
FollowupID: 440410

Follow Up By: rodeonut - Sunday, Jul 16, 2006 at 17:39

Sunday, Jul 16, 2006 at 17:39
really! I was dead set sure it wouldnt do crap till i tried it, tows the boat easier too
FollowupID: 440411

Follow Up By: Member - JohnR (Vic)&Moses - Sunday, Jul 16, 2006 at 18:55

Sunday, Jul 16, 2006 at 18:55
I am still sure rodeonut. I am sure the air would be sufficiently mixed and the surge into your cylinder through the valve and after that the timed injection of fuel into the cylinder to fire the mix would be unaffected by it. I bet you didn't actually time it or put it over a dynanometer.

Their claims are unreal. I remember too a Holden fast punter who fell out with General Motors over absolutely unproven claims of performance with a funny device. Rhymes with clock. The product had similar credibility to these things.....
FollowupID: 440426

Follow Up By: Member - John R (NSW) - Sunday, Jul 16, 2006 at 20:31

Sunday, Jul 16, 2006 at 20:31
John,
I want one of them Peter Brock Energy Polarisers! Sort of a red plastic F itch :-)

No doubt Bill or Tony or Ken from F itch will come back with some sort of reply with no supporting evidence as always......

Here's a debunk on Hyclones and their clones :

www.fuelsaving.info/turbulence.htm

Enjoy!
FollowupID: 440444

Follow Up By: Member - JohnR (Vic)&Moses - Sunday, Jul 16, 2006 at 20:49

Sunday, Jul 16, 2006 at 20:49
Good you remember em John. Don't suppose they fit on your aircraft, but guess they would make the turbines whirl faster and more fuel efficiently ;-)
Depending how hard you put it into the dive though. LOL
FollowupID: 440447

Follow Up By: Leroy - Monday, Jul 17, 2006 at 09:14

Monday, Jul 17, 2006 at 09:14
I had a 2000 mdl V6 Rodeo and the airbox had a swirling hiclone design implemented in it. So if the factory designers do it maybe there is some reason for it?
Or maybe someone put a Hiclone in before I bought the vehicle.....

Leroy
FollowupID: 440494

Follow Up By: sedg - Monday, Jul 17, 2006 at 11:20

Monday, Jul 17, 2006 at 11:20
Yes I would have to agree I fitted one to a 93 V6 3l Auto Pajero and although there were no disceranble fuel savings it did smooth out the power and felt like there was a slight increase in torque. Altogether a more smooth drive, and it is the real world expeience its all about not theoretical figures from Dynos. The reason I fitted it was to extract as much power as I could from the 3l as it wasn't quite up to it, without major mods.
FollowupID: 440510

Follow Up By: Member - JohnR (Vic)&Moses - Wednesday, Jul 19, 2006 at 08:22

Wednesday, Jul 19, 2006 at 08:22
Leroy, if it is a round airbox like the Donaldson aircleaners or the circular air inlets the swirling design actually helps to separate the dust by the centrifugal force. Very often there will then be a little rubber flutter valve allowing the heavier particles to exit the cleaner at a low point. There have been lots of dust separators made round the world that are extremely effective.
FollowupID: 440850

Reply By: hopscotch - Sunday, Jul 16, 2006 at 18:04

Sunday, Jul 16, 2006 at 18:04
Hi to all,

A few years ago prior to the introduction of unleaded fuel one of the major oil companies undertook trials to establish What Where and How the 'new' fuel would perform. They used three cars and three drivers with each vehicle doing exactly the same trips with each driver. One was a 'control' which was using the old standard petrol while the other two used ULP. The trial lasted about 18 months and even involved each motor being dismantled at the beginning, during and at the end of the trials to establish wear patterns. The results were documented at every point down to the ambient tempereature for each day. Those results were made public.
The point of this story is that until I can get access to actual/factual test results for the extensive trials done on any of these products which lay claim to improving fuel consumption/torque/etc I will continue to be less than impressed by their claims. I too hear the anecdotal stories - both good and bad - but I still think that a very light weight boot fitted to the right foot is the only way to get a noticeable improvement in the litres per kms stakes.
BIL fitted his petrol LC with a product being promoted by Repco. Knowing that he had done big mileages recently I enquired as to the performance and his response was that Repco had agreed to take the units back and refunded his outlay. The recorded performance improvement was less than measurable.
Kevin J
AnswerID: 183791

Reply By: GoneTroppo Member (FNQ) - Sunday, Jul 16, 2006 at 18:10

Sunday, Jul 16, 2006 at 18:10
I wonder if the placebo effect is to blame with a lot of this stuff.

Ie: I paid good money for this jigger, therefore it must be working and I'll subconsiously invent the evidence to support my decision.
AnswerID: 183792

Follow Up By: Member - Ian W (NSW) - Monday, Jul 17, 2006 at 15:58

Monday, Jul 17, 2006 at 15:58
The "placebo effect" has been the greatest sales/advertising aid of the last century. In my opinion it's been the cause of the overwhelming majority of those so called testimonials. You know the type of thing I mean.

"Since I fitted a Futch to my Austin 1800 my fuel consumption has decreased by 31.342%, horsepower has increased by 19.546% together with a drop of 62.1432% in dangerous exhaust emissions, I have also noticed that I can drive a further one and a half hours before I need to stop for a meal break. I thoroughly recommend Futch to any one who is looking for the slightest justification to lighten their overloaded wallet.
Bill S.
Holyland NSW."

No doubt about it, the good old placebo effect sells everything from arthritis bangles to futches.

Now, if you mention the Energy Polarise that's an all together different subject.

Ian
FollowupID: 440555

Reply By: Member -Dodger - Sunday, Jul 16, 2006 at 19:01

Sunday, Jul 16, 2006 at 19:01
I had one and installed it .
Result = At least they gave me my money back when It was returned.
I used to have a handle on life, but it broke.

Cheers Dodg.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 183806

Reply By: Markymark - Sunday, Jul 16, 2006 at 22:37

Sunday, Jul 16, 2006 at 22:37
I use to own an FJ62 Lancruiser, 4.2litre carby petrol. An absolute gas guzzler, I use to get something like 300km out of 70 litres of gas. Yes i did have a hiclone fitted and I got an extra 40km out of a tank of gas. Didn't notice and definite increase in power. So it worked for me.

Cheers,

Mark.
AnswerID: 183845

Follow Up By: hopscotch - Monday, Jul 17, 2006 at 08:34

Monday, Jul 17, 2006 at 08:34
Hi Mark,

I am not having a go at you or Hiclone but this is the 'anecdotal' info that I'm on about. "used to get something like 300 km out of 70 litres" & " got an extra 40 km out of a tank".
As a researcher I would be asking:-
How many ks prior to fitting? - exactly.
How many litres? - exactly.
How many ks after fitting? - exactly
What were the road conditiions for the trips prior to fitting and after?
What loads? Who was the driver? What were the traffic conditions? How many red lights today vs yesterday?

My LC TD is now just 6480 ks on the clock and I keep an accurate record of ks plus litres. I ensure that the sub tank is topped off each fill in case there is 'cross over feed' and the spreadsheet shows variations of upwards 4.82 litres per 100 k with no real differences in the running I am doing. Well at least I don't think that there are differences

When the big companies are trying to gain an edge on their competitors I would believe that the likes of Toyota, Nissan etc would be falling over themselves to get some of the improvements that I have seen quoted for 'add on' pieces of equipment.

Still with fuel the price it is, it certainly won't take many litres to cover the cost.

Kevin J
FollowupID: 440487

Follow Up By: Markymark - Monday, Jul 17, 2006 at 18:45

Monday, Jul 17, 2006 at 18:45
Fair enough Kevin.

Back then I didn't write down everything like I do now (exact km's, exact litres, brand of fuel), but I always took notice of the km's used and I always ran out around the 300km mark, sometimes 290km, sometimes 310. After having the unit fitted I got an immediate jump up to 340km, again sometimes up, sometimes down, but that was my new ballpark figure. I continued driving to the same work place, same trips in town, same driving style, I was the only driver, traffic didn't change too much in Ballarat!, didn't change house etc, etc. Get my drift?

Anyway I was happy with the unit, back then they were $140. Like I mentioned later, I wouldn't bother with one now in the Prado as they're already an efficient engine, instead I'm watching my driving style, trialling premium unleaded for a while etc.

So sorry I can't give you 'exact figures' to work out, but I worked it out back then as I went along.

Cheers,

Mark.
FollowupID: 440587

Reply By: Member - Rotord - Sunday, Jul 16, 2006 at 23:04

Sunday, Jul 16, 2006 at 23:04
Hello Kayne

You may be wondering at the divergent experiences with Hiclones . Not too hard really . Your vehicle , like most modern Jap machinery has a BMEP rating of about 9.2 Mp [ 130psi ] . This is pretty efficient , could be better but the designer has opted for a balance of efficiency and low stress . Certainly , the designer has put a lot of effort into avoiding any major problem areas . The Discovery 1 and 2 series has an elderly engine based on a Buick design from the late 1940's . It has a BMEP of about 7.4Mp . It obviously has some design problems and first suspicion is induction . The Hiclone can't make your Toyota much better , but it sure can improve the old Buick . Similarly , if your normally efficient Jap engine develops a problem , or has one modified into it , the Hiclone may help . But that would not necessarily be the best approach .
AnswerID: 183849

Follow Up By: Markymark - Monday, Jul 17, 2006 at 00:02

Monday, Jul 17, 2006 at 00:02
Which is why I'm not bothering putting one on my Prado.

Cheers,

Mark.
FollowupID: 440472

Follow Up By: GaryInOz (Vic) - Monday, Jul 17, 2006 at 08:56

Monday, Jul 17, 2006 at 08:56
Not just about the BMEP....

The modern vehicles have had a lot more attention paid to the design of the inlet tract/manifold, and quite possible already has some swirl built in to the manifold, and most certainly into the head design.

There is the possibility that the Hiclone will undo the several million dollars worth of engineering that was done by adversely altering the flow pattern within the inlet side of the engine, resulting in not as much air being allowed into the engine as it was designed to take. This would indeed produce a fuel saving, but at the expense of outright power (less air).

In fact many engine designs are made with a mismatch if sizes in the inlet/oulet tract (similar effect to the Hiclone) that reduce the efficiency, to give the designers room to "develop" the engine HP through its lifetime by simply opening up the various ports (very common on the exhaust side). Quite obviously this is a very easy and cheap "modofication" for the manufacturers to do.

Kayno, as others have said, and will probably say again, if it was that cheap and easy to achieve the sort of efficiency gains they claim, don't you think the vehicle manufacturers would fit them (or thier own well researched versions) to their vehicles as standard equipment?

Let the subject rest................
FollowupID: 440491

Reply By: smort - Monday, Jul 17, 2006 at 06:37

Monday, Jul 17, 2006 at 06:37
Hi all

I am concerned that everywhere you go be it the explore oz or just about every place where those with money and vehicles congregate in person or on the net there are those people making outrageous claims about using their device to save fuel. They use weasel words to describe their successful results and it only costs - plus fitting.

I too have a couple of really good ideas for a fuel saving devices that really work. Unfortunately I probably wont make any money out of it but I guarantee that it works, Nothing to pay and guranteed to work what more could you want?

No statistics no driving absolutely nothing to do unlike the plethora of dubiuos products on the market with outrageous claims and prices.

All you need is four bricks and a jack - the bricks are usaully lying around the yard and the jack usually comes with the vehicle - so no cost. Most will be able to work out what to do next - no need for instructions - save on printing and advertising.

The other model in development doesnt even require the bricks and the jack - just leave it in the driveway.

Hope this all those wood ducks out there with more money than sense contemplating fitting fuel saving devices to their vehciles.

SMORT
AnswerID: 183855

Reply By: TerraFirma - Monday, Jul 17, 2006 at 11:32

Monday, Jul 17, 2006 at 11:32
Stop ridiculing these things, I have the Hiclone, The Fitch and Peter Brocks Polariser all on the same vehicle.! It uses no fuel whatsoever, however I can't seem to get it to leave the garage. LOL

AnswerID: 183881

Follow Up By: Member - Ian W (NSW) - Monday, Jul 17, 2006 at 16:03

Monday, Jul 17, 2006 at 16:03
I need to know more about the techniques involved in achieving this marvelous fuel usage. Can you post diagrams?

Ian
FollowupID: 440556

Reply By: G.T. - Monday, Jul 17, 2006 at 17:22

Monday, Jul 17, 2006 at 17:22
BILLS Come on in . It`s 24hours this this post has been up and you have not leapt in. Are you crook or something? Don`t let us down now. G.T.
AnswerID: 183945

Follow Up By: Alloy c/t - Monday, Jul 17, 2006 at 17:32

Monday, Jul 17, 2006 at 17:32
G.T. we know where you live !!! replies such as yours can and will have dire repercussions ,may your god have mercy on your soul !! LOL
FollowupID: 440569

Follow Up By: Member - Ian W (NSW) - Monday, Jul 17, 2006 at 18:32

Monday, Jul 17, 2006 at 18:32
G.T. You have now been painted with the Alloy Curse. Other than your genitals shrivelling and dropping off, there is nothing else to worry about.

Ian
FollowupID: 440581

Reply By: mickjp - Thursday, Jul 20, 2006 at 14:55

Thursday, Jul 20, 2006 at 14:55
Kayne, Save your money. My experience is that it does not work. I put one in my 96 hilux diesel with no improvment to my fuel figures at all and no improvment to power. I gave it a 6 month trial and then took it out.
AnswerID: 184481

Reply By: Markymark - Thursday, Jul 20, 2006 at 16:50

Thursday, Jul 20, 2006 at 16:50
Kayne,

I think you need to find someone who has fitted one to their own Patrol 4.2TD. It appears they don't do much for the majority of cars but have you heard a report about yours? I've read posts on extractors where people swear they're a waste of money and vice-versa. Same deal. Because they don't work on a Hilux doesn't mean they won't work on a Patrol.

It worked on my old landcruiser and I don't give a rats about people who disbelieve - what's it got to do with them anyway, it was my vehicle, my money, not theirs.

Will one work on my Prado? I don't know and I'm not going to try out because I don't think it will do much to an already good (efficient) engine, so I'm looking elsewhere for improvements (driving style, trye pressures, better fuel etc).

Best of luck at whatever you end up doing but let us know on here.

Cheers,

Mark.
AnswerID: 184508

Sponsored Links