80 series centre diff problem

Submitted: Monday, Oct 02, 2006 at 23:38
ThreadID: 38215 Views:4534 Replies:6 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
Hi All,
I have an 80series landcruiser auto. I have the slop problem when you back on and off the accelerator when driving. i was told it was my CV joint spline and the drive flange so these were replaced. however i still get a clunk when i back on and off quickly.
Any idea what else it could be?
Thanks
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: TagsOZ - Monday, Oct 02, 2006 at 23:42

Monday, Oct 02, 2006 at 23:42
sorry forgot to add that i only had the cv joint splines and drive flages replaced in the front
AnswerID: 197554

Reply By: Member - Ian H (NSW) - Tuesday, Oct 03, 2006 at 07:05

Tuesday, Oct 03, 2006 at 07:05
I have a similar clunk in our 80 series manual part time 4wd. I had the rear diff serviced and it made little difference. and now suspect the wear on the rear tailshaft spline. It does have some movement and I have been quoted about $600 to replace the spline, both inner and outer. Climb under yours and check if you have movement by holding one half and twisting the other. If that is the problem you can remove the shaft and use the truck using the front wheel drive only while it is being repaired but the steering is a bit different. You can also confirm the cause of the clunk if it goes away when the tailshaft is on the garage floor. Good luck and please post the result.
AnswerID: 197561

Reply By: Member - Phantom (WA) - Tuesday, Oct 03, 2006 at 10:38

Tuesday, Oct 03, 2006 at 10:38
Hi TagsOZ,
I have had a similar clunk in my 80 for about ten years now. I have had it looked at on half a dozen occassions and everyone advises that it is within specs. I live with it now and just drive a liitle differently to minimise the clunk.
Steve
AnswerID: 197597

Reply By: TagsOZ - Tuesday, Oct 03, 2006 at 10:54

Tuesday, Oct 03, 2006 at 10:54
Thanks guys.
Im going to check it out and see if its the rear tail shaft spline.
Any other possible scenarios?
Cheers
AnswerID: 197598

Reply By: Outnabout David (SA) - Tuesday, Oct 03, 2006 at 13:42

Tuesday, Oct 03, 2006 at 13:42
They all have it. Worked with Toyota's for 30 years. There are a lot of areas that create the problem. It might be that all areas are within spec but if at the higher end then the clunk is greater than at the lower end. When these were new we put everything back to the lower specs on a few but the clunk was still there. As someone said driving style. I have an auto and if I want the clunk I can induce it but then normally I don't get it, but when the kids hop in the car they get it all the time. It is fairly easy to adapt the driving
AnswerID: 197631

Reply By: BenSpoon - Wednesday, Oct 11, 2006 at 15:56

Wednesday, Oct 11, 2006 at 15:56
In mine it is the front drive flanges.

To check, stick your transfer case in neutral, get under the car and try turning the drive shaft. The rear one on mine is tight as- less than 1/8th of a turn. the front one is sloppy- easily 1/8th of a turn. I took out the front drive shaft, and I could accellerate and engine break fast without any backlash. I put back in the front and as soon as I back off on the accellerator that clunk is back there.
AnswerID: 198747

Sponsored Links