TV on Laptop

Submitted: Friday, Oct 27, 2006 at 10:13
ThreadID: 38868 Views:4515 Replies:9 FollowUps:7
This Thread has been Archived
Hi all
For those interested, I have just purchased a PCMCIA TV card for my laptop. It works very well. I am currently in Brissy and I can receive all digital channels clearly. I was in Inverell last week and pulled in Analog channels ok. I have an external arial with power booster (not reuired in captial cities with digital) . PCMCIA card is Avermedia Hybrid +FM radio, digital and analog TV card. Cost around $130 including courier.
Hope this helps. ( Not affiliated in anyway with this company, just a very happy customer)

Cheers Jack
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Andrew (QLD) - Friday, Oct 27, 2006 at 10:27

Friday, Oct 27, 2006 at 10:27
I use the same card with my laptop......one of the best setups IMO. I spent some time and 3 seperate purchases before getting this one. The USB ones just don't cut it. Someone want a spare USB TV tuner box?

When travelling around recently, it was very hard to purchase one that contained both digital and analogue as everyone seemed to be stocking only digital cards. Some of the saleman even said that we don't need analogue at all.......hello! Get out more often, dude. The couple of years left with analogue will be well-spent watching it when travelling.

I have a splitter box at home to allow me to tap into the house antannae. That way i can use this card and record all our favourite programs to hard-drive/disk.

Andrew
AnswerID: 201204

Follow Up By: Oz Travellers - Saturday, Oct 28, 2006 at 09:24

Saturday, Oct 28, 2006 at 09:24
I second that about the USB tuners not cutting it. Mine works fine back home in Sydney, but it won't work outback even with a Caravan Antennae & amplifier. Yet the bloke camping next to me had his old crap TV working with just rabbit ears! Another $170 down the drain! Sparky
FollowupID: 460676

Follow Up By: Member - Glenn D (NSW) - Monday, Oct 30, 2006 at 21:51

Monday, Oct 30, 2006 at 21:51
Sparky

I bought one for only $100 off ebay , I knew it only worked in areas of digital reception and am happy with its performance.

Was given a small B&W tv with a dial like a radio that I take away , it picks up analogue signals .

You really need to be sure how things work , and how you want to use them , a digital only reciever is no good where there is is only analogue signal , no matter how well you amplify it.( Thats why Mr Rabbit ears got it and you didnt ).

At the price you quoted I am guessing you got it at a place like JayCar ? , did you ask about the limitations of the unit ?

Glenn.
FollowupID: 461330

Reply By: Peter McG (Member, Melbourne) - Friday, Oct 27, 2006 at 11:12

Friday, Oct 27, 2006 at 11:12
Looks a good bit of gear from their website. Who stocks them?

Peter
Peter
VKS Mobile 1906

My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 201209

Follow Up By: Member - qld_bushpig - Sunday, Oct 29, 2006 at 13:00

Sunday, Oct 29, 2006 at 13:00
Hi Peter
I got mine from www.sunshinecomputers.com.au Alan gives good service.

Cheers
Jack
FollowupID: 460918

Reply By: Member - Wim (Qld) - Friday, Oct 27, 2006 at 11:12

Friday, Oct 27, 2006 at 11:12
Hay Jack.

You guys not missing the big smoke already?

I have been looking at the same thing for some time but not made a decision yet.
Can you give me any detail on the aerial?

Regards

Wim
Camper setup
July 2012 - Hay River & Binns track
VKS 737 Mobile 0091
Selcall 0091

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 201210

Follow Up By: Member - qld_bushpig - Sunday, Oct 29, 2006 at 13:25

Sunday, Oct 29, 2006 at 13:25
Hi Wim

I bought my ariel from Camec caravan accessories at Marookra www.camec.com.au
The ariel is called a Phaselink model PS12 and comes with a 240v/12v @20ma booster for $145. They had quite a range and I am sure that all caravan accessories places would stock these and others. I also picked up a telescopic pole (something like a pool cleaning pole) for $45. It does not come with coax so you have to purchase a lead to suit from Dick Smith or similar. I bought a length from Camec and added my own ends. Booster is male/female so you need to watch that.
Coax plugs directly into TV card.
As for the card, I just loaded the software and inserted TV card into PCMCIA slot and then did a scan of available channels. Found what was in the area and that was that. Comes with a remote control (thank goodness I left my other 6 in storage!) and is easy to use.

Hope that helps.

Back in Brissy at the moment for a job interview. Job is state sales and marketing manager for education software company that I worked for last year. I will be living in NSW somewhere not sure yet where.
Cheers
Jack
FollowupID: 460924

Reply By: Member - Phantom (WA) - Friday, Oct 27, 2006 at 11:19

Friday, Oct 27, 2006 at 11:19
Hi Jack,
Exceuse my ignorance but can you tell me where you bought it, and does it need to be installed by experts? Also where does the external antenna plug into?
Thanks,
Steve
AnswerID: 201211

Follow Up By: Member - Andrew (QLD) - Friday, Oct 27, 2006 at 11:36

Friday, Oct 27, 2006 at 11:36
Item manufacturers website description is here ==> Site Link

Just plug it into the laptop into the PCMCIA slot, load the CD software and drivers, and away you go. Simple.

There is connectors supplied to allow you to have an TV antannae IN, FM antannae IN, and A/V IN. Basically can capture most sources.

Available predominately via Ebay, or some online websites......a limited number of computer stores stock them dependant on area.

Andrew
FollowupID: 460449

Follow Up By: Member - qld_bushpig - Sunday, Oct 29, 2006 at 13:30

Sunday, Oct 29, 2006 at 13:30
Hi Steve
See followup post added today (sunday)
Email me if you have any questions.

Cheers
jack
FollowupID: 460928

Reply By: CLC50 - Friday, Oct 27, 2006 at 13:58

Friday, Oct 27, 2006 at 13:58
Great unit

I have had one for over 12mths for the grand kids' when they get sick of DVDs Easy to install,only problem I had I wired the aerial boast wrong way round,,

I also run a Mouse GPS on Lap Top with ExplorOz.Mapping , Still learning This
AnswerID: 201238

Reply By: Member - Brian (WA) - Friday, Oct 27, 2006 at 19:29

Friday, Oct 27, 2006 at 19:29
Hi. Mate at work go me off e-bay something. think it's called a donga. goe's in the
usb slot. From China cost $2.35+$3insurance+$29postage. The point is it works.
AnswerID: 201300

Reply By: Jo-Anne - Friday, Oct 27, 2006 at 20:28

Friday, Oct 27, 2006 at 20:28
Hi Jack and others asking/chatting about this device.

I just spent 5 - 10 minutes writing heaps about the "Dvico FusionHDTV DVB-T Nano - DVB-T receiver - Hi-Speed USB" that I have just purchased from Harris Technology. Then something went hay-wire and I lost the lot.... so, in short

Harris Technology (a real people computer store, you can actually talk to them and see them in the flesh sometimes handy) stock a few brands (as well as devices for desktops) - they are a bit more expensive than yours ($170).

What I hope you can help me with is - external arial and booster - what type? how much? and where from?

The only other think I have been told is that the usb version can get HOT - I'm not sure what this means but a very reliable IT person (who has one) has told me as much - I am planning to monitor the heat level.

I'm glad you are getting good reception in the main city areas - we plan to be travelling largely between Batemans and Townsville next year so I guess we should be ok for the most part. It will only be the getting to and from the east coast that might be more difficult - guess we will just have to miss the (bad) news and weather or listen to the radio.

Thanks everyone for their info - hope my little bit helped.

Jo-Anne
AnswerID: 201313

Reply By: Bros 1 - Friday, Oct 27, 2006 at 22:29

Friday, Oct 27, 2006 at 22:29
-qld_bushpig,
Have had the AVERMEDIA one for a few months with the stubby aerial, works good so far. Everything crossed.
Cheers,
Bros.
Work is the curse of the down and out bludger.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 201350

Reply By: Charlie & Rosemary - Saturday, Oct 28, 2006 at 17:51

Saturday, Oct 28, 2006 at 17:51
We have been watching this forum with interest. One site where they are sold quotes the following:

It certainly becomes a bonus option that users can upgrade their operating system without changing their TV card.

Does this mean we need a TV card in the laptop or do we just buy the unit, connect everything, load the software and voila! we have tv (as long as we are in an area of reception)?

Any idea how to find out if our laptop supports the card?

Thanks in advance, hopefully!
AnswerID: 201453

Follow Up By: Member - Andrew (QLD) - Sunday, Oct 29, 2006 at 08:41

Sunday, Oct 29, 2006 at 08:41
Hi C & R,

Check out my link above for the minimum specifications for your laptop.....these style of TV cards are more or less all the same in specs.

You will need a Type II PCMCIA card slot in your laptop.....most, if not all modern laptops will have one (or more). These look like a thick slot (5mm+) about credit card size with a push button to eject the card.

You do not need any other hardware devices per se.
FollowupID: 460878

Sponsored Links