Magellan <span class="highlight">GPS</span> Training Night - Perth

Submitted: Friday, Jan 05, 2007 at 16:17
ThreadID: 40900 Views:2915 Replies:1 FollowUps:5
This Thread has been Archived
Spotted this - thought some may be interested (despite $25 charge)

GPS Training Night - Learn how to use your Magellan eXplorist GPS; OSBORNE PARK WA 7/2/07

On Wednesday 7 Feb 2007, Next Destination will be running an introduction to Magellan GPS training session. In the training session you can expect to learn about data handling, how to get the most out of your GPS, how to use it for navigation, how to use the mapping, and how to transfer data from your GPS to PC.

The interactive session will allow you to ask questions and use your GPS while in the presence of those in the know. You will need to bring along your eXplorist GPS and we advise you write down and bring along any questions you have.

The session will be held at 18 Baden St, Osborne Park WA. There will be a door charge of $25. Please RSVP to 08 9444 0233 by 31 January 2007.

Cheers
Greg

I sent one final shout after him to stick to the track, to which he replied “All right,” That was the last ever seen of Gibson - E Giles 23 April 1874

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: obee - Friday, Jan 05, 2007 at 17:38

Friday, Jan 05, 2007 at 17:38
I think its just a little bit rich selling you a gps and then charging you for a lesson on how it works. But thats just my opinion. I own an explorist and it works ok. I like the usb interface and the chargable battery but the buttons are not very responsive. The price of the mapware is over the top so I probs will never take advantage it.

I run explore oz with natmaps and the gps but natmaps have been on the blink since IE7 upgrade. They use IE browser for the display and until they get it to work again I wont be using that either. I was going to get the latest mapmerge version of natmap but they cant tell me if that will work either!

Anyone got a copy of IE5 ? You gotta laugh sometimes

Owen
AnswerID: 213474

Follow Up By: srowlandson - Friday, Jan 05, 2007 at 17:44

Friday, Jan 05, 2007 at 17:44
i take it car dealers give you free driving lessons and supermarkets give you free cooking lessons?

FollowupID: 473838

Follow Up By: The Explorer - Friday, Jan 05, 2007 at 17:50

Friday, Jan 05, 2007 at 17:50
"I run explore oz with natmaps and the gps but natmaps have been on the blink since IE7 upgrade."

Hello - do you mean OziExplorer (there is no such thing as explore oz) - if so you can still use the Natmaps as OziExplorer doest run through IE7. No need to use the actual Natmap program - OziExplorer will open the Natmaps direct from the disc (or your hard drive - wherever you happen to have them) Not sure what mapmerge program Natmap have - OziExplorer has a FREE mapmerge program that will allow you to merge individual Natmaps (and just about any other calibrated map) together if that is your aim. Again this program will run no worries irrespective of IE7 as they dont interact.
Cheers
Greg
I sent one final shout after him to stick to the track, to which he replied “All right,” That was the last ever seen of Gibson - E Giles 23 April 1874

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 473840

Follow Up By: obee - Sunday, Jan 07, 2007 at 18:40

Sunday, Jan 07, 2007 at 18:40
Yes I meant oxziexplorer DUH!

Just a slight prob you may be able to help with, when I access the map files I dont know what they are without referring to natmap. I have the program from ozi but I havent checked it out yet.

The latest version looks like they have the entire country merged so no more hunting around. Anyway they will have the latest updated maps.

Meantime the people at geoscience say they are working on it.

Thanks

Owen
FollowupID: 474150

Follow Up By: The Explorer - Sunday, Jan 07, 2007 at 18:52

Sunday, Jan 07, 2007 at 18:52
Hello - yes map files are a pain as the names are meaningless unless you use then all the time. Two solutions - rename them all so they mean something to you (painful) or when in OziExplorer use the Map Index - this plots the boundaries of maps in a specified directly over another larger map. So in this case you need to get hold of a low resolution map of Australia (some on ozi web site) for use as an index map...then display all the Natmap boundaries on this using the index map function in OziExplorer..you can see which map is currently loaded and by clicking on an area , the relevant map will open. Best think to do is start using OziExplorer and see how you go - it may seem daunting before you have a go but time is all you need. Also difficult to explain things over forum.

Natmap mosaic (all sheets stitched) has been around for a few years - thats what I use for a quick look around.

Cheers
Greg

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 474156

Follow Up By: obee - Monday, Jan 08, 2007 at 09:12

Monday, Jan 08, 2007 at 09:12
Thanks for that Greg

I had some frustrating times getting everything to work and then to find out that the datums change over a number of areas when the gps was twenty five miles out of sync. It works ok but it a matter of adjusting this nut on my shoulders. I will have a go at your solution anyway.

Maybe I should take back what I said about "destinations" charging for lessons but a good manual would do the trick. Trouble is techies seem to assume a certain amount of knowledge that few readers actually have. I studied navigation years ago so I was in front of the ball but even so I had trouble getting my head around oziexplorer and the interface with the gps. Patience did it in the end.

Maybe some one like me should write the book.

Thanks again

Owen
FollowupID: 474255

Sponsored Links