More on the HF Adventure

Submitted: Saturday, Jan 06, 2007 at 01:11
ThreadID: 40919 Views:2920 Replies:2 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
Hi everyone and thanks for the many replies Peter and Vince should have messages from me.
Bonz if we are related your vehicle says that you must come from a wealthy part of the family that I don’t know about (Yet).
Darian thanks for the input I will probably seek out someone near me for training and support as you suggest before we go away next time.
John it’s a 10 hour round trip to the installers and the faults had to be rectified before we left for WA I guess I should have rang him but its not as satisfying as a face to face complaint and I just let it slide after we got back.
Stevo it wasn’t so much the frequency change that bothered me but the statement that there had been trouble with two of the frequencies since the inception of the service, something that had not been mentioned before they took my money!
Phil it seems that your telephone service works, could you message me and let me know who it is please?
Mike Harding thanks for the info I looked at the Mt Gambier amateur radio website and it seems like a good idea to contact them for help. I am aware that most of my HF problems are down to me and my poor choice of installer-trainer and yes VKS737 was one of my HF service providers.
Anglepole send me a message and I’ll reply with the answers you want, by the way what is an “anglepole”?
Footloose I have taken on board most of what you have said, the cable had been enclosed with split convoluted conduit which was taped either side of the plugs and nowhere else, water had got into the conduit through the split and ran down to the lowest point which just happened to be where the plugs were!
Allblack55 and markeaust I will be in contact for help before I tackle HF again but I’m too busy at the moment.
Once again thanks for all your encouragement and suggestions.

Dougmac
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: markeaust - Saturday, Jan 06, 2007 at 08:39

Saturday, Jan 06, 2007 at 08:39
Any time mate. Always willing to help out a fellow HFer.

Cheers,

Mark
AnswerID: 213585

Reply By: Member - Phil G (SA) - Saturday, Jan 06, 2007 at 09:35

Saturday, Jan 06, 2007 at 09:35
Hi Doug,
I have used Bushphone for the past 3 years.
http://www.reidsradiodata.com.au/bushtelephone.htm
Their cost structure is slightly different to Radtel but overall the costs would work out similar. The other reason I preferred them to Radtel was they had a base at Woomera, and I became a member of an alternative HF network. Naturally I have no affiliation here - just a customer.

As I said before, theres a learning curve. Just a few pointers
#1 I already had their frequencies programmed into the set when I bought it (along with another 6 pages of frequencies for other stuff).
#2 They supplied laminated instructions on how to make a call from my Barrett 950, and this sits in the glovebox.
#3 Finding the best frequency and base to use is the first trick. I estimate the frequency using the quick formula Freq (MHz) = distance/100 and add 2MHz for daytime and subtract 2 MHz for night. Most calls I make are around 5 to 8 MHz.
#4 I pick a base based on past experience - Alice Springs, Charters Towers, Cowra and Perth are the ones I commonly use for where I travel.
#5 Send Beacon Calls to the base and frequencies that you think will work best, and pick the one that has a nice clear, loud revertive tone. If the revertive tone is scratchy, then you'll be wasting your time. If theres no revertive tone, it means that you're not getting through, or the set at that base is already in use. I usually have a choice of a couple of usable frequencies.
#6 Send the telcall, and the receiver will get a message that "This is a radiotelephone call, please speak after the tone" - the tone will take about 10seconds, so the person at the other end usually says hello a few times before they hear the tone and realise whats going on.
#7 To hang up, I hang up from my HF set. Its too much hassle to instruct the people on the other end how to hang up.

I mostly call my wife or kids, and they understand the way it works - so they know to wait for the tone, and they also know that it is a radio, and can't have us both talking at once. The calls are limited to 6 minutes. I also find that calling in the early morning is the best time - seems to be less "traffic", and the people I call are at home. It also helps if you talk with a slower, clear radio voice.

If someone really wants to contact you, they can phone the Cowra base to get a selcall sent to your set (which needs to be scanning a few of the Bushphone frequencies). I never bother with this - people can contact me through VKS.

So its definitely more involved than using a Satphone, it will take a little while to get the hang of it, but once you've got the hang of it, it works. I'd rather avoid the considerable ongoing expense of running a sat phone for the calls.

Its hard to try all this out until you're out in the bush. I'm in the Western Suburbs of Adelaide and theres just too much interference to use HF locally.

Cheers
phil
AnswerID: 213592

Follow Up By: Member - Douglas M (SA) - Saturday, Jan 06, 2007 at 12:15

Saturday, Jan 06, 2007 at 12:15
Thanks Phil,
I'll heed your advice and maybe try Bushphone next time.I did make a few successful phone calls with Radphone early in the trip but it seemed that the further north I got the worse the service got, at Kolumburu we could get no service on any of the Radphone frequencies and had to use our travelling companion's sat phone to deal with the problem of my daughter smashing my other car in Adelaide.
I finally gave up on Radphone when at ElQuestro I made a couple of calls to my kids and we could hear each other quite clearly but the return transmission was cut short after a few syllables, almost as though someone was pressing the transmit button on that frequency. I have assumed that it was one of the frequencies Radphone have been having trouble with. Thanks once again
Dougmac
FollowupID: 473938

Sponsored Links